1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Features If Ford Engineers Monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 AM
emartin6591
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Features If Ford Engineers Monitoring

I don't know if Ford monitors these forums regularly or not but hope someone from Ford does. Just purchased a new 2013 F250 and have a few requests for Ford.

There are many things done right, but several areas where Ford missed the boat on the current Super Duty.

First: Make outside temperature gauge and panel display standard on $50,000+ Lariat trim and above trucks. Actually outside temperature is really a safety feature and should be standard on XLT and above but a $50,000+ truck with no exterior temperature sensor and display? Not good.

Second: Make programmable garage door feature standard on $50,000+ Lariat trim and above trucks. Again should really be standard on XLT and above but a $50,000+ truck with no programmable garage door opener standard? Not good.

Third: Give the Super Duty a flat rear interior floor like the F150. That is really helpful and greatly missed for running parts, moving bulky items inside out of weather, etc. The fold-down back that doesn't fold flat and is way off the floor cuts the in-cab hauling ability more than in half and I don't think the seat backs will hold up folding them down and putting something heavy on them. With the F150 it is just a flat floor mat to worry about, not seat backs. Silly for the F150 to haul more inside it's cab than the Super Duty.

Fourth: Use more durable interior plastic parts. Current plastics scratch very easily - not good for a working truck. I am very particular and managed to drive an F150 for 50,000 miles in 2 years without scratching the plastic. New F250 with less than 1,200 miles already has scratches on interior plastic from boot scuffs and belts etc.

Fifth: Fix the firmware for the trailer connection. With my F150 I could add a trailer then select any trailer added manually whether or not the truck was aware it was connected. That way I could track my total towing miles with all trailers. This truck allows you to add a trailer but once added you cannot select it if the truck thinks no trailer is connected because a particular trailer does not have electric brakes. I like to keep track of total towing miles and I can't do that when the truck won't let me change the active trailer to one I have added unless it has electric brakes.

Sixth: Put the side clothing hooks back on the sides where they belong. Stupid to put on back oriented flat against rear windows. In the first place it isn't as safe because it covers up rear window. In the second place clothes get messed up and fall off. In the third place it takes up seating space - nobody can sit in the seat if any clothes are hanging. In the fourth place have you not ever seen clothing rack bars that are designed to connect to the hooks on left and right and allow you to hang clothes out of the way and where you can see. For instance you can hang them right against the side window or right behind seat back where you can't see anyway so not obstructing rear view. You can also sit in the seats with clothes hanging on sides.

These are work trucks as you point out in marketing material - "Ford owns work". Like many people I use mine for work travel. I often have hanging clothes and luggage I don't want outside in the weather. The combination of stupid hanger placement and no flat rear storage area that make floor space available means I can't take nearly as much luggage or clothing with me. Same goes for demo equipment I usually haul inside.

I needed the F250 for towing and hauling but did not expect to have to give up interior space, ability to take demo equipment, luggage, etc. Didn't expect to have to go get a big clunky garage door opener and put on visor in this day and age. Didn't expect to not be able to see outside temperature. I mean mine has navigation etc. but I don't know how hot or cold it is outside without checking my weather on cell phone. Not good. The trailer connection thing you can fix with a software update if you will. Need trailer information even if not an electric brake equipped trailer the truck knows is connected. It helps keep up with maintenance requirements on both the truck and trailer axles and bearings.

These are relatively minor things but all are frustrating and almost kept me from buying F250 because added together there are a lot of things to give up over an F150 that should not be different.

On a positive note great job with retaining driver side entrance and exit handle - put one back on F150. Also good job putting running boards where they can actually be stepped on when getting in and out of the truck. The F150 bars are too close and tucked under truck body. Useless for the most part when getting in and out. Easy for passengers to slip off the running board because it is so close and tucked under truck. Also great job putting Michelin AT tires on the truck from the factory. Good tires make a difference. Good job on navigation and stereo system. Good job on 6.2 V8 although would have preferred not to be de-tuned with different cam than Raptor. Never too much HP or Torque so why back up? The F250 needs it more than the Raptor. Doubt many Raptor owners will be pulling heavy trailers.

Thanks for listening.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:25 AM
Powelligator
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The outside temperature display *is* standard on the Lariat model and I believe also on the XLT. It can be turned off in the Nav/Touchscreen settings, it might be that way on the truck you drove.

-Joe

Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 AM
emartin6591
New User
Thank you Powelligator. I could not find it, will look again. In the owners manual it says the outside temperature display is on the dash gauge pack (where MPG and other info shows) "if equipped" and shows an example where it is in the menu. My menu does not show it so assumed not equipped. But I will go through Sync and Nav menus again and see if I can find a way to turn it on or off.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:45 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
- fix the dash lights on my XLT with the productivity screen.

-Please give me a cargo light switch

-give me the option of not having my running lights turn on every time I open a door.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Powelligator
Tuned
I agree with the flat floor or platform behind the front seats. Way back in 1994 Ford had the SuperCab back seat figured out in that it does exactly that - folds over flat with a sturdy metal platform. 20 years later and all we get is the seat bottom folds *up*?

A 60" wide tailgate? Seriously? My '94's tailgate is 64" wide. Another step backwards.

I also agree with having a dedicated switch for the bed cargo light. At least now I have a row of handy upfitter switches that I can use to wire it up myself.

I wish I could have a moonroof in the SuperCab so that the overhead lights in the warehouse and garage can light up the interior when I need to write stuff down. A small nit.

Good things the Engineers have done:

Two, count 'em, two 110v power outlets in the cab. Would be nice to have one outside in a weatherproof enclosure but 110 power is a new thing in vehicles so I'll give them a pass on that.

Exterior mirrors that fold back at the touch of a switch. Very cool idea, easy to park in the garage with that. Well done.

Electronic locking rear diff that works in 2WD mode as well as 4WD. A full locking diff in the rear at my command? Another Well Done.

-Joe

Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 AM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Interesting. As for the exterior temperature thing...not sure why you think it's a "safety feature". I'd be interested in your thoughts on that. Now, if you have the Dual Zone Climate Control, which you should if you have the Lariat, you should also have a button on there labeled "EXT". That is for Exterior temparature.

Garage door opener a standard feature. I don't think so. I have no use for it, as I'm sure many don't. Keep it an option for those that do.

Your other points, sure. There is a place to go to voice your opinions/wants/concerns for the SuperDuty. I'll have to see if I can find the link.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 PM
TexasRebel
Cargo Master
Exterior temperature is a safety thing because if you start out in the 40's or so in daylight, you won't feel the temperature drop as your cab keeps you warm. Especially travelling North, it will freeze and you won't realize it.

As far as the hangars, remember that standard cabs still exist. I use them too. Although I'll trade you. Bring back the manual transmission and you can put the hangars wherever you want.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Powelligator
I wish I could have a moonroof in the SuperCab so that the overhead lights in the warehouse and garage can light up the interior when I need to write stuff down. A small nit.

Good things the Engineers have done:

Two, count 'em, two 110v power outlets in the cab. Would be nice to have one outside in a weatherproof enclosure but 110 power is a new thing in vehicles so I'll give them a pass on that.

Exterior mirrors that fold back at the touch of a switch. Very cool idea, easy to park in the garage with that. Well done.
Moonroof on my truck is dark enough that it keeps bright sunlight pretty dimmed, not sure it would do you any good unless opened.

The 110 power is not THAT new. My 2006 Toyota has 110 in the bed. Very handy for charging tool batteries, etc.

Again, my '08 has the power folding mirrors so that is not such a new feature. I use that all the time, even in my own drive.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:49 PM
Powelligator
Tuned
Ah - fair enough. My point of reference is a 20 year old F-250. In my much newer 2011 Fusion the moonroof lets in enough light that I can find all the stuff I need when the car is in the warehouse without turning on the dome lights. I figured the truck would be the same.

-Joe

Old 11-19-2013, 08:28 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Ford Social...that's the website:

Ford Social: leaderboard

Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 AM
scraprat
Lead Driver
Received 2,502 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Temp as a safety feature, come on now. If as a grown adult you can't figure if it's going to be warm or cold you might have bigger problems.

Maybe those things that attach to mittens so you don't lose them should be attached to jackets so we don't get frost bite on our fingers.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 AM
emartin6591
New User
Thanks for the tip on the Navigation system settings menu for outside temp. For those who have asked it is a safety feature because if you are driving across country as I do a lot and it is raining you can go from rain to freezing rain or wet to frozen roads without realizing it. So keeping an eye on the outside temp gives you a heads up that the wet roads might be icing at bridges and culverts. Yes usually you will know from frozen stuff on the windshield but I have had situations driving into Michigan where it had been raining and roads were wet but suddenly changed from wet to icy at night and black ice is no fun at 70 MPH on a curving bridge. It just helps to know you are at or below freezing. It is also helpful if pulling a camper with water because you know to turn on the gas furnace to keep tanks and lines from freezing. Yes you can check your phone but as I said much easier to just look at indicator on dash. Glad to see it was included. The owners manual only mentioned it "if equipped" as an indication on the dash gauges and not the navigation system. Mine was turned off so thanks again for the tip. Now it shows next to the time at top of navigation screen.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 AM
emartin6591
New User
I totally agree with the "good" mentioned - especially the locking rear differential that locks in 2-wheel drive or 4x4 modes. Excellent job Ford. Would not own a truck without it now that I have had it. Far superior to limited slip that doesn't work all that well when new and as clutches wear over time doesn't work much at all.

Also great job on the power folding mirrors, great for parking, bank drive-thru, fast-food drive-thru, etc. Power extension and retraction too which is nice. I had the big towing mirrors on my F150 Ecoboost and they were larger but not power. Not sure why the lower mirror on 250 is smaller leaving a blank spot, must be a reason.

Also great job on two built-in 110 volt inverters. Very handy and useful with all the powered accessories we have that need charging. USB us useful too but doesn't charge at same power levels as some of the AC adapters so great to have both in the truck standard.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:29 AM
emartin6591
New User
Outside Temp as Safety

Originally Posted by scraprat
Temp as a safety feature, come on now. If as a grown adult you can't figure if it's going to be warm or cold you might have bigger problems.

Maybe those things that attach to mittens so you don't lose them should be attached to jackets so we don't get frost bite on our fingers.

Maybe you don't drive long distances at night where temps can change quickly without you realizing it. If you have ever hit black ice at night on an elevated roadway you would know why it is a safety feature. At 70 MPH you can cover a lot of distance in a short time and at certain times of the year there might be 20 degrees or more difference in outside air temperature due to a cold front. You can go from wet to frozen and not realize it because your heater in the cab keeps temps the same since if it is 45 outside you probably have heater on anyway. Just handy to be able to keep an eye on outside temps, especially at night when rain wet roads look the same as frozen roads (black ice) and the only way you know of the change is when you break traction and spin. Also helpful to know if something you are towing or that you have in the bed might begin to freeze. Fronts or changing altitudes can impact temps a lot more than you think and it is nice to not have to look at phone to know when you hit the freezing mark.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:34 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
All the SD's now have a flat floor in the back.

With the new productivity screen you can name a trailer and track miles.

Quick Reply: Features If Ford Engineers Monitoring