Sponsored by: DP Tuner

S&B vs. AIS - With Photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 05:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Sucks they can't make a good CAI that flows and still is quite.

The two are at odds with each other - the main problem is the filter design. The housing helps, but a housing with too much "corralling" of air restricts flow - and too little lets the noise out again. The AIS filter media is the solution, but I needed a really big one. I looked at everything that could fit under the hood, and my best "quiet" solution involved relocating the passenger battery to make room for the 6.7L CAI. The turbo intake was never designed for this location, so the conglomeration of tubing would be more restrictive - losing all my gains in filter media flow.

As you may surmise... I thought this one through.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
The two are at odds with each other - the main problem is the filter design. The housing helps, but a housing with too much "corralling" of air restricts flow - and too little lets the noise out again. The AIS filter media is the solution, but I needed a really big one. I looked at everything that could fit under the hood, and my best "quiet" solution involved relocating the passenger battery to make room for the 6.7L CAI. The turbo intake was never designed for this location, so the conglomeration of tubing would be more restrictive - losing all my gains in filter media flow.

As you may surmise... I thought this one through.
Really??!! You never came across as the analytical type!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:14 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I have the 6637 videos. S&B will be installed tomorrow and then I'll the next set of videos. I'm just doing a simple rolling start full throttle smoke vid and a highway speed vid at half throttle. might do a quick under the hood vid too.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:45 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Sounds good, I'll be waiting.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Gaugepro
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've run AFE stage 2 intakes on all my 7.3's... From stock injectors to 250/200's... No issues, no dusting, no lack of air flow...

They make a great CAI... ALL of them are... S&B, AFE, K&N... Just have to stop believing all the internet jargon about "Cold Air Intake"...

Old 12-06-2014, 04:27 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
here is my video. it's not what I wanted to do, but it's short and simple.

I like the S&B much better.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:04 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Video

Originally Posted by clintusaf
here is my video. it's not what I wanted to do, but it's short and simple.

YouTube

I like the S&B much better.

Your Video is marked private so we can't see it. Can you repost for us. Would really like to see it. Thank you,

Old 12-06-2014, 07:41 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Oops. Sorry about that. I changed it to public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRnMjrBw0Nc

Old 12-07-2014, 06:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
I have never been able to get my current camera to record cab turbo whistle and intake drone to play on YouTube. The whistle is too high and the drone cancels out.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:36 AM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
I have never been able to get my current camera to record cab turbo whistle and intake drone to play on YouTube. The whistle is too high and the drone cancels out.
Yeah the sound on mine isnt that great either. It was taken with my iphone.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:21 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gaugepro
I've run AFE stage 2 intakes on all my 7.3's... From stock injectors to 250/200's... No issues, no dusting, no lack of air flow...
Which turbo are you running now? I'm trying to figure out what air intakes I can use with a T-4 style turbo mount on the Excursion. Currently the 6637 is on her but when it comes time to change it I was looking to try something else. I rarely tow with the Excursion but when I do the noise starts to wear on me.

So far I know I can use the 6637 and the S&B filter (solo).

Old 12-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Little better with the smoke but still smokes quite a bit when you first start off. You have the stock turbo? Mitt want to change the wheel or even the turbo to add air. It is quitter though. Good investment for sure.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:29 PM
clintusaf
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Little better with the smoke but still smokes quite a bit when you first start off. You have the stock turbo? Mitt want to change the wheel or even the turbo to add air. It is quitter though. Good investment for sure.
yes, stock turbo.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:49 PM
phinner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for S&B Veterans

Going to keep this thread going just a little longer because it seems appropriate for my question. I have a 2002 F250 all stock with the exception of an Edge CS programmer. Go ahead - I'm pretty resiliant to the ball busting. I started looking around for intake options and was tossing up between the 6637 kit and the S&B kit. The 6637 has the nicer pricer tag, but a lot of people seem to think it's on the louder side. Yesterday, I was ready to pull the trigger on the S&B mainly because of the noise and at the advise of Dean at Orangevale Diesel. I called Sinister Diesel to ask about picking one up (they're almost within walking distance). When I talked to the guy there, he pretty much told me that they weren't selling the product anymore and pushed me towards 3 different AFE models. After talking with him for about 20 minutes, I almost got the impression that there was something wrong with the S&B kit. He talked about the plastic construction of it and mentioned that they had a couple of open-box kits that had been returned (not sure if they were for my truck or not, I didn't ask). Everything I've read puts the S&B kit as one of the better intakes for this truck.

Has anyone had any issues with it? Or was this guy just trying to push me into a more expensive kit? Personally, I'm still leaning towards the S&B. I'd just like to get some insight from people who have had it installed for a while.

Old 03-14-2015, 03:31 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
While I haven't had an AFE in my truck, AFE is known to be really loud - as the 6637 is known. If you have stock injectors (tuned or not), AIS is as good as it gets. Plenty of breathing and dead-quiet. If you go to sub-200 injectors (160s and 175s are common), I know the S&B will burn clean and the compressor whistle is very subtle. If you want a screaming whistle blasting in your face every time you're behind the wheel, the 6637 will take care of you.

S&B has changed their design a few times, and the newest ones don't match what I have. It's a good-quality unit, but a little bit of a pain to remove the neck for working on the VCs, and it's slightly inconvenient to change filters. 4 SS screws come out - don't drop them because a magnet won't back you up.

Quick Reply: S&B vs. AIS - With Photos