1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT No Apologies

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish there was a way to express to the families how i feel about the guys I served with and gave the ultimate sacrifice I often think about them not just on a special holiday. There was just recently a story about some airline passengers giving up 1st class seats for a group of returning GI''s that was very special just wish I could do more for all of them Peace.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
I am so glad to read such posts. Things have changed, at least in this regard, so much for the better.

There was a time when people just did not want to know about a veteran, or where they served. The Korean war, in which my father was a Navy gunners mate, was one.

Another was when it seemed the entire country hated you, and that was 'Nam. I remember getting spit on and called a "baby killer" by some flower girl while in uniform at an airport. Many of those I served with (all volunteers, including myself), were so disgusted with the public and government, that when they walked out the gate after being discharged, they chucked their service records and duffle bags in the nearest trash can. This period of revulsion by the public lasted for many years after the Vietnam war was over.

But now, thank God, people, even those against our foreign entanglements, for the most part welcome our service people home with open arms.

It is good to see.

The only thing I would suggest any civilian to do, is to come to know these men and women who have, or are, serving. Some are good, some not so much. They run the gamut of types you may see on the street. I have served with fellows who were from wealthy families, and others from poor farms.

They are little different from the average Joe or Jane, and the reasons they join are countless. They are just ordinary people who very often accomplish extrordinary things.

They are us, they are Americans.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Well, I had a free lunch this afternoon, going to get a free haircut, and then a free supper. Took 40 some years to get any respect. Thank You!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by AXracer
Well, I had a free lunch this afternoon, going to get a free haircut, and then a free supper. Took 40 some years to get any respect. Thank You!
That made me laugh!

After reading this thread, I have decided to go in and ask for the night off to be with my grandcritter.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
I am so glad to read such posts. Things have changed, at least in this regard, so much for the better.

There was a time when people just did not want to know about a veteran, or where they served. The Korean war, in which my father was a Navy gunners mate, was one.

Another was when it seemed the entire country hated you, and that was 'Nam. I remember getting spit on and called a "baby killer" by some flower girl while in uniform at an airport. Many of those I served with (all volunteers, including myself), were so disgusted with the public and government, that when they walked out the gate after being discharged, they chucked their service records and duffle bags in the nearest trash can. This period of revulsion by the public lasted for many years after the Vietnam war was over.

But now, thank God, people, even those against our foreign entanglements, for the most part welcome our service people home with open arms.

It is good to see.

The only thing I would suggest any civilian to do, is to come to know these men and women who have, or are, serving. Some are good, some not so much. They run the gamut of types you may see on the street. I have served with fellows who were from wealthy families, and others from poor farms.

They are little different from the average Joe or Jane, and the reasons they join are countless. They are just ordinary people who very often accomplish extrordinary things.

They are us, they are Americans.
Had that experience Dec 21 1969 Philly airport -- but on the flipside we (4 guys in uniform coming home) sat down in a restaurant and tried to order a beer before we all went our separate ways. It was a Sunday and no alcohol was served then. An older guy was at the next table stood up said "HI, welcome home boys. Glad to see you made it" Then he pulled out a flask put it on the table and said have a drink on him. Then he just walked away. My buddy still has the flask and every Dec 21 we call each other (only 3 of us left now) and toast that gentleman. There were a lot of good people that cared back then too.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:23 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you to all who served - Past, Present and Future

Msgt USAF, Ret
1967 - 1989

Old 11-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Aus56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2

It is good to see.

Veterans also went through this treatment here in Australia unfortunately. Things have changed here over time, and now our Anzac
day (Australia and New Zealand army corps) in honour of our troops part in the landing in the Turkish area Gallipoli in the 1st world war, has become a much loved day. Remembrance day is starting to get more attention also.

However during Vietnam, one of the worst and most public attacks was when just returned troops were marching through the city and demonstrators threw red paint over a number of them.

Hard times for a lot of veterans, but finally it is better today.

All the best to the veterans and other service people.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Aus56
Veterans also went through this treatment here in Australia unfortunately. Things have changed here over time, and now our Anzac
day (Australia and New Zealand army corps) in honour of our troops part in the landing in the Turkish area Gallipoli in the 1st world war, has become a much loved day. Remembrance day is starting to get more attention also.

However during Vietnam, one of the worst and most public attacks was when just returned troops were marching through the city and demonstrators threw red paint over a number of them.

Hard times for a lot of veterans, but finally it is better today.

All the best to the veterans and other service people.
I was thinking about this poem from Kipling as I read your post. It says it all.

Rudyard Kipling

Tommy
I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One cannot say enough for all of our veterans! They are true heroes and we should honor them for life.
And Ax, don't forget Lowes gives all veterans 10% off of everything.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Aus56
Elder User
I noticed that several respondents to this post are retired Marines. I came across this video that I thought might evoke a few memories and bring a tear to your eye, that is if Marines got tears in their eye, of course.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:10 AM
broketruckjohn
Freshman User
I Honor my fallen brothers.I Respect my fellow vets.I am finally Proud of the Amercian people again for realizing that it takes a very special person to be a Soldier.Least We Forget.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Least We Forget, it's not all about the Americans