6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Do GM & Dodge have similar issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:13 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Not necessarily.

I am on my 3rd Mishimoto radiator in my Mustang. It should have been more but I just let them leak. They have all leaked at the seams. The one that is in there now seems to be holding but it is only a year old.
Crazy, there are a couple of aftermarket options for rads right now, and if one doesnt work, the other one might.

I dont know much about the mishimoto rads just from what ive read, and all ive read about them was in regards to our 6.4 trucks, so I cant and wont speak to the stang rads, or the quality of them in general.

USUALLY aftermarket can provide the solutions to problems that OEM cant seem to fix.

Sucks to hear about your stang rad though, that would **** me off. How have they been for customer service for ya?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:16 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Stock vs stock, the 6.7 is for sure on top, but tuned, I like the 6.4's better. There are a few reasons. Only downside, the 6 sp trans is nice behind the 6.7.

So far ive been happy with my tuned 6.4 truck as well. I was extremely hesitant to "upgrade" from my ol 7.3. You probably recall me PM'n ya some questions haha.

I do like some facts about the 6.4 over the 6.7. In stock form there is no comparison, I would choose a 6.7 anyday.

But if ya dont mind aftermarket... and dont mind using a bit of extra fuel... I dont mind the 6.4 at all. Call me crazy but Ive lined up beside a guys new 6.7 on the highway, and at highways speeds he couldnt catch up. He was tuned and had a dashdaq, but I dont know what tunes he was running or anything.

All I know he couldnt keep up with mine on the 300 spartan setting! haha

Old 11-10-2013, 07:37 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not necessarily.

I am on my 3rd Mishimoto radiator in my Mustang. It should have been more but I just let them leak. They have all leaked at the seams. The one that is in there now seems to be holding but it is only a year old.

I went thru 3 radiators in 88,000 miles and from what was explained to me about radiator failures in these 6.4's is not a quality issue with manufacturing. The thermostats are what causes the radiator to leak from high pressure spikes. I was 12,000 miles away from my ESP running out and shortly after getting my truck back for the last rad replacement I traded it in for a 13 f 150 ecoboost, I was not ready for $1,200 out of pocket radiator bills.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro
So far ive been happy with my tuned 6.4 truck as well. I was extremely hesitant to "upgrade" from my ol 7.3. You probably recall me PM'n ya some questions haha.

I do like some facts about the 6.4 over the 6.7. In stock form there is no comparison, I would choose a 6.7 anyday.

But if ya dont mind aftermarket... and dont mind using a bit of extra fuel... I dont mind the 6.4 at all. Call me crazy but Ive lined up beside a guys new 6.7 on the highway, and at highways speeds he couldnt catch up. He was tuned and had a dashdaq, but I dont know what tunes he was running or anything.

All I know he couldnt keep up with mine on the 300 spartan setting! haha
I'm pretty sure a spartan tuned 6.4 is the fastest diesel there is, for just a tuner, intake, and exhaust.
Watch the boost on stock heads though.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by preppypyro

Crazy, there are a couple of aftermarket options for rads right now, and if one doesnt work, the other one might.

I dont know much about the mishimoto rads just from what ive read, and all ive read about them was in regards to our 6.4 trucks, so I cant and wont speak to the stang rads, or the quality of them in general.

USUALLY aftermarket can provide the solutions to problems that OEM cant seem to fix.

Sucks to hear about your stang rad though, that would **** me off. How have they been for customer service for ya?
I think some of it had to do with how the SN95 radiators are mounted but that is no excuse.

I have to give them a lot of credit for their customer service. They have replaced the radiators with no trouble. You do have to pay 25 or something like that for shipping though.

I did order a cooling fan and shroud that was supposed to be a direct fit and it wasn't. They had me take some measurements and I did. I ended up sending it back to Amazon and ordering something different. Overall they are good to deal with. Replacing radiators gets old after a while.

These are the humble words of MisterCMK sent on the go...

Old 11-13-2013, 04:24 PM
boulderbronco
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Update on my radiator issues.
I've got to give Ford some props here. The replacement radiator was going to be about $1400 plus $150 to flush the whole coolant system. I politely told the service rep I thought Ford should cover it even though I was a month out of warranty. He said he would submit the request but no guarantees. Fifteen minutes later he came back and told me ford would put $1000 towards the repairs. Well that was nice and unexpected. I still think Ford should fully cover these replacements, but good on them for at least helping out with it.
They did sucker me into paying $160 for the coolant flush, which was above and beyond the $1300 to replace the radiator. I was not to happy about that. A coolant flush is part of replacing a radiator. But oh well.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:26 PM
aggiect01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljutic ss
I went thru 3 radiators in 88,000 miles and from what was explained to me about radiator failures in these 6.4's is not a quality issue with manufacturing. The thermostats are what causes the radiator to leak from high pressure spikes. I was 12,000 miles away from my ESP running out and shortly after getting my truck back for the last rad replacement I traded it in for a 13 f 150 ecoboost, I was not ready for $1,200 out of pocket radiator bills.
Funny, I did the same exact thing. I was on my third radiator about to be on my fourth with 89k miles. I traded it in in a 2012 FX4 F150 Ecoboost. So far so good. Difference was $11k out of pocket for a loaded truck

Old 12-13-2013, 04:38 PM
ImaThorp
Junior User
Dodge when they went to the common rail and VVT turbos in 03 lost a lot of revenue on warranties. they also switched to american axles away from Dana and they are very troublesome and expensive to repair. They have had several revisions of the 5.9 common rail and went to the 6.7 with a few versions of that now too.

Chevy has had trouble building a diesel that didnt overheat, blow head gaskets or eat injectors like candy up until 2010 or so. Turn up a chevy and watch the front tires bow in under hard exceleration in 4wd. seen plenty of those high dollar aluminum drives shafts chucked out too. that allison tranny can't hold more than 700hp either.

Bottom line. They all have thier troubles. Just pick the color of wrapper you want.

BTW I've owned 5 Dodges, 2 Ford and 1 Chevy all diesels and none were left stock

Old 12-14-2013, 03:58 AM
willydmax
Senior User
Just to balance out your comments on Duramax and injectors...From 2004.5 on the Duramax does not "eat" injectors like candy. That was a first generation problem (01-04). The overheating issues were on the second generation and they were few and far between. I had an 05 (second generation) and pulled heavy (25k to 30k gross) and never had any overheating issues. Glad to hear that Ford stepped up and covered $1000 on your radiator repair boulderbronco

Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Not necessarily.

This post has been refreshed for longview1.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 PM
lilrams09
Junior User
They are right everyone has there problems, For ex. My good buddy bought a brand new Denali HD like a 70+G truck, and after 11,000 Miles it blew the oil pump and is getting a new motor. Also my old boss had a 2010 Dmax and from day one it leaked oil BAD.. he wouldn't even park it in his garage it was so bad... then the chevy garage dropped it off a lift lol.. and after 2 turbo's he lemon lawed it and got a new chevy gasser...
Dodge same stuff, i know a guy who owns a snow plow company and traded 3 dodges in on superduty's cause the front ends went after 2 seasons and one cummins blew the head and the other an engine. Dodge wouldn't warranty it cause of a fram filter!?!?!?!
And your on here so you see all the 6.4 6.0 engine fails and rad,... My truck puked a HPFP at 53,000 the 2nd day i owned it...

Best bet for reliable is buy an older 79 f350 with a 460.. looks sweet you can work on it and MPG won't be far off a 6.4 cheaper to insure and way cheaper to maintain... HAHAH

Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 PM
aggiect01
Senior User
I had great luck with my 2008 f350 6.8 gas box truck. I bought it when it was a year old with 83k and sold it in 2013 with 205k and never had a single motor problem. The only mechanical problem was a rear pinion seal for $175. My 2 6.4s are a different story. 3 radiators on one and still unknown problem on the other one.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM
adam10
Senior User
while I didn't pull the trigger on a 6.4 yet.(still hanging on to my ole 7.3).ive been reading up a lot on them on here and came to the conclusion I better wait a little yet.Dont forget about the newer dodges rusting out so bad!my brothers 06 looks like swiss cheese and it is very meticulously maintained.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:28 PM
URDADDY
Senior User
Owned a 05 6.0 and only issue I ever had was the FICM (twice) and now on a 09 6.4 and have DPF/CAT delete and tuned. Love the truck. Runs like a beast and does very well on fuel for what it is. The tuned dodges in town don't like me and not many Chevy's around here.