1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which hood?
Cervini Cowl
22.22%
Cervin Ram Air
22.22%
Keystone Heat Extractor
55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

New hood due to hail storm. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 04:17 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New hood due to hail storm. Opinions?

We had a horrible hail storm come through about a week ago. I went up and talked to a couple PDR guys and they said forget fixing the hood, just get a new one. So I'm using this opportunity for a new mod.

Looking at these 3.

Cervini 3" cowl hood. Thanks to RACERX7775 for the pics.

Cervini Ram Air. Pics taken from Cervini's site.

Keystone heat extractor hood. Thanks to 91blackshortbus from psn.

The Cervini hoods are both fiberglass and the Keystone is steel. All the hoods are right around $700 plus paint so price is negligible. I've had a couple Cervini hoods on my old mustangs and the fit and finish was always great, I don't have any experience with Keystone.

I'm leaning towards the cowl hood for the traditional, tough look.

Here's my poor dinged up truck that needs the new hood.

There was plenty more damage, roof, fenders etc....This will also be fixed, however I'm waiting on an adjuster to come out and give me an idea on just how much damage was done. The pdr guys both told me they would just assume put on a new roof vs fixing the dings If that's the case I may pull the visor and replace it with led cab lights.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:21 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Why don't they want to fix the hood?

Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 PM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Why don't they want to fix the hood?
There are several golf ball sized dents that most likely won't come out with pdr. Plus the cost of trying to fix all of them vs replacing.

Not a good pic but it shows a few of the bigger ones, camera won't pic up the dozens of small ones.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I would stay with the stock hood, much better looking IMO (I think aftermarket hoods look too ricey) but given your choices, the keystone steel hood without question.

My brother and cousin both had a similar situation. Their hoods got damaged and instead of replacing with factory they went with aftermarket; my brother- cervini fiberglass ram air and cousin - keystone steel cowl.

My brother's hood (fiberglass) got dinged up from road debris and started to look like crap in a short amount of time. Every spot where a rock hit it would leave what looked to be a white nick. Also, the fiberglass hood fitment was quite poor, his always rubbed the cowling.

The keystone hood held up much better and felt much more robust.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:27 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
If it really is metal get the Keystone. This is the first I've heard it is metal. For my experiences the metal ones are usually a 2" cowl.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally like the first one but like that the keystone is metal. I personally don't like the look of the keystone and on your truck I think the middle one would look out of place.

Maybe there is one like the first hood just metal.
Trav

Old 11-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
If i had to choose i would choose the keystone heat extractor hood. But i agree with slowlearner.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Slowlearner
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault
If it really is metal get the Keystone. This is the first I've heard it is metal. For my experiences the metal ones are usually a 2" cowl.

I didn't even look at the OP pictures... The steel hood my cousin had was the 2" cowl.

According to summit's website the heat extractor hood is "fiberglass with steel reinforcement"... to me that means steel hinges.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 PM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
I have a buddy with the heat extractor. It's held up pretty good but then 8" lift does help. LOL

Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
The heat extractor looks killer. However as clean as your truck is I would be tempted to go with a smaller cowl hood if available.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
I like the ram air hood. Ive seen a couple around and like the look. "Gigger" has a ram air type hood. I tend to prefer a more unique look. Id like to have one but not for the cost. If I was in your shoes perhaps. Good luck with your choice and the repairs. It never is easy to have yer baby in the care of another man!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I had a three inch cervini cowl hood on my 1997 F250 Heavy Duty and it fit like a dream, only problem with glass is well on the 97 you couldn't keep the hood hinges so I use to keep a pop rod in the toolbox...... Never had a problem with rock chips oddly on that truck but my super duty YIKES

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
personally i like the ram air hood, I love that hood just cant decide if it would look good on my truck or not lol. Whats the deal with fiberglass hoods, everyone doesn't like them for some reason.

Also theres the suncoast ram air hood:http://suncoastcreations.com/a-f-s-2...ood-24008.html

Old 11-08-2013, 12:46 AM
sconap1
Junior User
I'd go with the steel - again if the Keystone really is steel.

I'd really make 'em get me a new stock hood or fix mine...but I like the stock look a lot.

You have a great looking truck - love the tires and stance.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:58 AM
96grimreaper
Senior User
Well after some more research, Slowlearner is right, the Keystone heat extractor is fiberglass with metal hinge supports.

I remember my Cervini hoods were the same, metal hinge supports with a metal brace for the hood latch.

I do like the ram air, however I don't think I'd like it as much on my truck. It would look much better with the sharp lines of an 08 or newer. I think I'm just going to scratch that one off the list.

I did find the Reflexxion cowl hood. 2" steel hood. I like this a lot, enough of a rise to be different from stock without being too much. Plus they are only about $400+shipping. I really like this one.

Pics won't load so here is a link to a 8 Lug photo shoot.
2005 Ford F350 Front View Photo 1

couple more pics

Quick Reply: New hood due to hail storm. Opinions?