1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Just pulled the trigger on a new set of these...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking Just pulled the trigger on a new set of these...

P.I.S.160cc/30% Injectors - P.I.S. Reman Injectors - P.I.S. Injectors - Power Stroke 7.3l Injectors - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

I have heard a lot of good buzz about PIS and I am very very excited, scared, nervous....

I will take a bunch of pics of the install if I get a chance. I hope to be present when they get put in. I let my mechanic talk me into letting him do the install instead of me doing it. I don't have a garage and if something goes wrong, he can handle it.

Then once we get everything in and get her running, I will get with Rich and set up some data logging and get some graphs posted and see what we have.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:48 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice! I hope they work flawlessly for you. Would love to see pics and data.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
BleednBlue68
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id love to hear about all this. Id love to put in some new injectors in mine. Def keep us updated!

Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 PM
honeydew
Posting Guru

Subscribed, looking forward to your feedback. I almost bought a set of these in August but wife got a new car instead...

Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Me too, like a kid in a candy store for me. Just can't swing it right now.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribing... so you have an AE baseline of the truck's performance already for comparison? What supporting Mods are you using with these sticks?

Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 AM
River19
Elder User
sUBSCRIBING......now with the caps lock off....Subscribing......

What is the install like for injectors? I guess I will sit tight and find out....

Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by snknby123
Subscribing... so you have an AE baseline of the truck's performance already for comparison? What supporting Mods are you using with these sticks?
6637, straight piped exhaust, rebuilt transmission with upgraded torque converter and BTS valvebody. AE and DP Tunes. Gauges-boost, tranny temp, and EGT.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
Jason,

What are your thoughts on air to feed these sticks? I'm thinking you may get some surge and some smoke without turbo mods. You got good intake and exhaust in place.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:41 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Just a little background. Last winter I started having cold start issues. I was around 160,000 miles and I knew I had a glow plug relay problem, as my glow plug LED was intermittent. I changed the relay and figured I had solved the issue, then the next day it was back to the same issue, very hard to start cold. At that point, I figured my glow plugs had to be bad or maybe the under valve cover harness. I had a spare set of glow plugs and had my mechanic change them and the UVCH's while he was there. When I got it back, I still had the issue, very hard to impossible to cold start, even if I plugged her in.

Came here and started a thread that ended up 12 pages. Logged some data and video'd stuff for people here to see. Rich (Tugly) was extremely helpful and as it turned out, it seems very likely that all the cold start issues, other than the bad GP relay, were actually bad sticks. I read on Swamps Diesel the symptoms and description of injectors going bad, it sure sounded familiar and made sense. If you want to read it, Click here.

So I went to synthetic oil and plugged her in when the temp was going to be below 45 degrees and got through the spring and summer alright. I have noticed over the last several weeks to 2 months, more blue tinged smoke in the exhaust and my mileage has declined for several months at least. Now that it has gotten colder again, if it gets much below 40 degrees over night, even plugged in running synthetic, I am unable to start the truck, or if I do manage to get it started it is very rough and takes a long time to smooth out even after coming to operating temps. On a camping trip 2 weeks ago, I was unable to start the truck and had to go to WalMart and buy new oil and filter(I was due anyway) and warm the oil up in the camper, change the oil and filter, in order to get the truck to start just so we could leave on Sunday. So I came to the conclusion that I have to have the new injectors or park the truck a lot until spring.

For anyone interested in reading 12 pages of trouble shooting from last spring, here is the thread . Click here it gets really good on page 8 I think.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Just read threw the first page and 8-12. Refreshed my self on that thread. Had the time and its a good read. With everything else good, one would think for sure the poppet valves are the problem. Can't wait to here how you like the new injectors.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Yeah, I never did do a compression test to really be sure, and I already bought the injectors, so I am going with it at this point.

Old 11-07-2013, 03:47 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by BWST
Jason,

What are your thoughts on air to feed these sticks? I'm thinking you may get some surge and some smoke without turbo mods. You got good intake and exhaust in place.
Forgot to mention the 1st generation wicked wheel. We'll see about the surge, but I hadn't really thought about it.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:38 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 474 Likes on 326 Posts
I bet you'll be fine on surge then, but might want more air if EGTs get up there. Anything you do with the truck that might push you to have the go pedal most of the way down?

I need to read the threads you posted a bit more - was the HPOP strong? I know mine struggles in 60T or 60e to hold 2100 if I have the pedal down very long. A T500 is in my future, even with stock sticks, to help this. I wonder if you'll want that upgrade as well to help keep EGTs in check, getting that 160cc/1000 shots in there early for a complete burn. I might be off on the theory.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HKusp
Forgot to mention the 1st generation wicked wheel. We'll see about the surge, but I hadn't really thought about it.
Jason Congrats. You will love the sticks, a little more turbo and good tunes and BAM 400 HP

Quick Reply: Just pulled the trigger on a new set of these...