Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need help - 7.3 PS not running right

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
UVCH will not cause knocking. Nor will it cause white smoke - no fuel = no smoke. The complete hutch mod will also get rid if the Quick Disconnects, which can introduce air into the fuel when the tank is below 1/2.

Clogged screens, dropped foot, QDs... the possibilities are worth dropping the tank, before you donate your truck to somebody willing to drop it.
Tugly, you are right as usual my friend. When I lost my UVCH it was running so bad I couldn't tell if it was knocking or not, and the white smoke tells the story. I have never done the hutch mod so not much help, but knowledge is key and going to continue reading. Disregard my previous post.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:19 PM
ScottInIowa
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK another update. I put a 2' piece of fuel hose on the inlet of the fuel pump (fuel pump has been replaced earlier this week). Put that hose directly into a 1 gallon container filled with fresh diesel. Truck starts ok, runs ok for about 10 seconds, and starts into the terrible knocking and clouds of white smoke from the exhaust. Let it run for about a minute to see if it would come out of it. Nope. Throttle pedal only makes it knock louder - won't come off idle. Get this - I let run for about a minute and it used the whole gallon of diesel.

Any chance it's the CPS? I replaced it a couple years ago when I was fighting the fuel pump going bad. Replaced with the part from an International dealer. I unfortunately don't have the old CPS to try... Really need this truck to run. Or for sale for $3500.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts
Sounds injector related if it used that much fuel. Broke nozzle maybe. Get a heat gun and check temp on the exhaust manifolds to see which one it is, or even a hole side that is bad.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
A lot of the fuel went back in the tank on the return line.

A bad IPR/low ICP can deliver really low fuel pressure to the injectors.

scotttahoe - Upon reading my reply, I came across as a little brusque... and that was not the intent, my friend. It's funny how things sound so much more friendly/helpful in my head, but read somewhat curt.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:36 PM
ScottInIowa
New User
Ok - how do I check the IPR/ICP?

Old 11-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottInIowa
Ok - how do I check the IPR/ICP?
For the IPR, check to make sure the tin nut is on tight. You can also pull the IPR out and tear it apart to clean the inside of it. Theres a write up on here on how to do it.

For the ICP, unplug the connector and check for oil in the connector, leave it unplugged and start the engine. If it runs better with the ICP connector unplugged then your ICP sensor is bad. The PCM goes into default mode when the ICP is disconnected.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:53 AM
tdpower
Postmaster

and low blinker fluid will cause your blinkers not to work. I'm not sure if you mean low hpop pressure or what. We don't need to send the op on a wild goose chase.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:17 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You still need to check the fuel pressure. It is regulated by check ball and spring regulating the amount of fuel returning to tank, where most of your gallon of fuel went. If the valve is stuck open or the spring broke you will have low fuel pressure.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:30 AM
ScottInIowa
New User
Kawcrasher - you might be on to something. Going to check that. I had forgotten I had low fuel pressure with the pump that was in the truck, and I would guess that hasn't changed one bit with the current one.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:39 AM
ScottInIowa
New User
Ok - well not that either. Fuel pressure with engine off - 55 psi+. Fuel pressure with engine running 55 psi+. So now it started and ran pretty well for about 10 minutes. Throttle now has some effect on engine and not smoking as bad. Then it got worse and worse and now is almost back to where it was running wise. I was able to move it across the yard, but that's about it. Thinking I'm going to drain the tank and start over with fresh diesel. All this started right after putting 1/4 tank of diesel in. Sound like the right next step?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Put a small sample of diesel in a styrafoam cup. If it is pure diesel, nothing will happen however, even a small amount of gasoline present in the diesel will leak from to cup or even melt the bottom out of it.

All this started right after putting 1/4 tank of diesel in.

Right there is your biggest clue.
The station you filled at may have had contaminated fuel.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:56 PM
puller45
Senior User
double post

Old 11-16-2013, 01:06 PM
puller45
Senior User
Originally Posted by ScottInIowa
Ok - well not that either. Fuel pressure with engine off - 55 psi+. Fuel pressure with engine running 55 psi+. So now it started and ran pretty well for about 10 minutes. Throttle now has some effect on engine and not smoking as bad. Then it got worse and worse and now is almost back to where it was running wise. I was able to move it across the yard, but that's about it. Thinking I'm going to drain the tank and start over with fresh diesel. All this started right after putting 1/4 tank of diesel in. Sound like the right next step?
I'm pretty sure that was the first suggestion made to you, trust the people here, they have no interest in steering you wrong and the knowledge is very comprehensive. I believe that it was Will Rogers who said "experience is the best teacher, specially if it's somebody else's experience."

Last edited by puller45; 11-16-2013 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Sorry, double post
Old 11-16-2013, 01:45 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru

scotttahoe - Upon reading my reply, I came across as a little brusque... and that was not the intent, my friend. It's funny how things sound so much more friendly/helpful in my head, but read somewhat curt.
Didn't even cross my mind, Just glad that you were able to keep things on track and not letting me throw useless ideas out.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:43 PM
ScottInIowa
New User
Well head hanging low and apologies all around. Hooked a hose to the outlet of the pump and filled a couple old fuel cans with gas... Melts a styrofoam cup like gangbusters. Emptied it with the fuel pump until it wouldn't pump anymore. Added 10 gallons of good diesel from town and it runs like a champ. Now gotta go through the fuel receipts and see if it was the gas station or my wife. I would think if it had been the gas station I'd know right away - I'm on the fire department in the small town of 500 people and the guy that runs the gas station also runs a trucking company with like 6 trucks. But whatever - I'm just glad it's fixed. And relatively cheap - I was pricing injectors last night - dang!

So anyway I owe several of ya'll some Starbucks cards. I'll send PMs here later today so I can get an address to send them to you. Thanks everyone for your patience with me. And for future folks reading this - pay attention to the advice of folks on this list! They know what they're talking about!

Quick Reply: Need help - 7.3 PS not running right