6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:07 PM
tcjhkbjt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR delete

I have heard alot of people that have talked about the EGR delete. One, what all is involved to do this and two what are the pros and cons of doing it. I was thinking of doing it to my 04 6.0 powerstroke

Old 11-05-2013, 02:12 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It prevents soot from entering the intake manifold and plugging sensors. After its done, its impossible to rupture the egr cooler letting coolant in the intake manifold. Some kits require removal of intake, some just require loosening hardware.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Eightyfive Flareside
Senior User
If you want to do a true delete there are a couple ways to do.

1 Sinister Style Kit, which takes the EGR Cooler out, and replaces it with a bypass line for the coolant to run through. This is probably the most common system

2. The welded off cooler system. This replaces your cooler with a blocked off cooler which allows no exhaust to flow through, but coolant still can. It eliminates the chance for the cooler leak into the intake.

The Pros.

It gets rid of the chance your EGR valve to plug up due to leaking cooler. Some people see better mileage and some people see other gains. Basically you are deleting the cooler, not the actual EGR valve, since once you tune your truck, the valve is rendered un-used. They do include a block of plate if you want to remove your actual valve, but people have seen issues regarding their fans after unhooking it in certain trucks, best to leave it in there.

The Cons.

Its 50 state Illegal and you will need to run a tuner to tune the EGR out of your truck. Also the EGR Cooler leaking is usually not the cause of your problems, its most likely a symptom of the oil cooler plugging up. You probably wont be able to get into a tuner for under 400 bucks, so you should keep that in mind as well.

What goes into it?

Heres the just of it.

If you are doing the welded shut style, then you have to pull the Turbo, all the turbo piping, the intake piping, the exhaust pipe. Then you can remove the bolts on the passenger side of the intake manifold, loosen the drivers side up, then lift the intake up enough to slip it old one out and the new one in. Hopefully your intake manifold gasket is still good, otherwise you get to do it twice

If you are putting in a sinister style kit, then you need to do everything I just said, and ad the new bypass, but you also need to remove the exhaust UP-pipe and replace it with one that doesn't have the Y piece in it.

Either way, it took me an entire day to do the last one I did, and I hated doing it so much that the kit I bought for my own personal truck is still sitting on my garage shelf. I think that it is better that if your EGR cooler isn't leaking, then leave it in there, and install a coolant filter kit. Its pretty cheap and it will help keep your oil cooler from plugging up.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM
tcjhkbjt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Eightyfive Flareside
If you want to do a true delete there are a couple ways to do.

1 Sinister Style Kit, which takes the EGR Cooler out, and replaces it with a bypass line for the coolant to run through. This is probably the most common system

2. The welded off cooler system. This replaces your cooler with a blocked off cooler which allows no exhaust to flow through, but coolant still can. It eliminates the chance for the cooler leak into the intake.

The Pros.

It gets rid of the chance your EGR valve to plug up due to leaking cooler. Some people see better mileage and some people see other gains. Basically you are deleting the cooler, not the actual EGR valve, since once you tune your truck, the valve is rendered un-used. They do include a block of plate if you want to remove your actual valve, but people have seen issues regarding their fans after unhooking it in certain trucks, best to leave it in there.

The Cons.

Its 50 state Illegal and you will need to run a tuner to tune the EGR out of your truck. Also the EGR Cooler leaking is usually not the cause of your problems, its most likely a symptom of the oil cooler plugging up. You probably wont be able to get into a tuner for under 400 bucks, so you should keep that in mind as well.

What goes into it?

Heres the just of it.

If you are doing the welded shut style, then you have to pull the Turbo, all the turbo piping, the intake piping, the exhaust pipe. Then you can remove the bolts on the passenger side of the intake manifold, loosen the drivers side up, then lift the intake up enough to slip it old one out and the new one in. Hopefully your intake manifold gasket is still good, otherwise you get to do it twice

If you are putting in a sinister style kit, then you need to do everything I just said, and ad the new bypass, but you also need to remove the exhaust UP-pipe and replace it with one that doesn't have the Y piece in it.

Either way, it took me an entire day to do the last one I did, and I hated doing it so much that the kit I bought for my own personal truck is still sitting on my garage shelf. I think that it is better that if your EGR cooler isn't leaking, then leave it in there, and install a coolant filter kit. Its pretty cheap and it will help keep your oil cooler from plugging up.

yeah looks like mine is staying in there. so when shopping around for one am i looking for a coolant filer kit??

Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Eightyfive Flareside
Senior User
Originally Posted by tcjhkbjt
yeah looks like mine is staying in there. so when shopping around for one am i looking for a coolant filer kit??
Yes,

I bought mine from XDP, seemed like a good kit, I also bought a sweatshirt from them, didn't like the sweat shirt as much as the Coolant Filter

Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
His 04 does Not need a tuner.

Some 05's and newer will set a CEL and a tuner will be needed to turn it off.