1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Front End Grunt

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2003, 06:07 PM
AwolDog5
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front End Grunt

ANOTHER QUERSTION FOR YOU GUYS...AGAIN I WILL APOLIGIZE NOW FOR MY IGNORANCE IM NEW TO THIS "DOING THE WORK MYSELF THING" IVE ONLY HAD THE TRUCK BACK FOR A WEEK NOW AND I DRIVE IT DAILY....IT SAT FOR THREE YEARS BEFORE THIS...RECENTLY IVE BEEN HEARING A GRINDING POP FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE FRONT END USAULLY WNEN IM MAKING A LEFT TURN...WHAT IS IT? CAN I DO IT MYSELF? DO I NEED SPECIAL TOOLS. IM LOOKING FOR A SHOP MANUAL AND WILL HAVE ONE THIS WEEK...THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND HELP
AW000000000000.....I LOVE DRIVING THIS TRUCK AGAIN
ERIK

Old 06-21-2003, 08:48 PM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front End Grunt

Erik... I have a grinding pop on the drivers side when the draglink drags itself across my tie rod ends. Hoping to cure this with springs that are on their way here. I would position myself under the front of the truck while a trusty assistant turned the wheel lock to lock for you. Hopefully. Himmelberg

Old 06-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Front End Grunt

Hi Erik,

Peter (Himmelberg) has exactly the right idea. That's the quickest and easiest way to locate the problem, assuming you don't have to be going 50 MPH for it to happen!

If you are looking for a shop manual - take a look at MotorHaven, the parts store that supports the FTE site we all love to use. Just click on the PARTS SHOP button in the upper right of your screen. They have the manual both in book form and on CD. Personally, I like the CD because you can print out a page, take it in the garage and get it all greasy, and just recycle the paper. If you need the page in the future, just print another one.

Oh, one other tip, when you type in all CAPS LIKE THIS it's called "shouting" on the message boards. I know you aren't really trying to shout at us. If you can type using lower case, it eases the strain on my eyebubbles when I read your posts.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:07 PM
AwolDog5
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Grunt

i know sorry george i was most of the way through the post when i realized it and was to lazy to retype it...do you test it with the front end jacked up.....i only hear it at 20mph or up and like i said usually only while making left turns....i dont remember the truck ever making this sound....i guess im just wanting assurance the front end aint gonna drop out from under me... i will try it though thanks guys

Old 06-23-2003, 06:21 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Front End Grunt

A lack of grease in the tierod ends and kingpins will also make some of these stange noises.......