Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Conversion-needing some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:25 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blurry94
Honestly, if your plans are to make a bunch of power, I'd skip the 460 ECU and tuning and go with an aftermarket EFI instead. But that's a different topic/thread.
I was only going to use. 460 ecu as a bandaid til I got a tuner... If I ever find a maf 460 ecu that is. It was just so I could plug it in and go.
It's a ways away and I'll start a thread of my own once I start building.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:13 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 to Blurry94 on skipping the 460 PCM. For what you will spend/losechanging the PCM multiple times you could put towards a tuner or a custom cut chip and just do all your mods together as neither are cheap. I think my wife's uncle has spent a couple grand on chips because he has to get a new one every time he upgrades his Mustang

Conanski not to try to argue with you because you do know quite a bit more than me but the few PCM lists of part numbers and calibration codes I have come across has always shown only SD for the 460. I know they can be converted just like any other truck but I was almost certain they were never factory equipped with MAF.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:43 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Being that the 460 maf computer is as hard as finding a unicorn, and I'm too cheap to buy a new one, I'll probably skip that step. But if I happen to find one in a junkyard, I'll be grabbing it quick.
I've wasted plenty of money tuning cars, I know how it works. It's part of the game as well. That's why you plan ahead.

If you search this forum, you'll find pictures and proof of the maf 460. They are nearly always in California or bordering. But they are real.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by coxthecrazy
+1 to Blurry94 on skipping the 460 PCM. For what you will spend/losechanging the PCM multiple times you could put towards a tuner or a custom cut chip and just do all your mods together as neither are cheap. I think my wife's uncle has spent a couple grand on chips because he has to get a new one every time he upgrades his Mustang

Conanski not to try to argue with you because you do know quite a bit more than me but the few PCM lists of part numbers and calibration codes I have come across has always shown only SD for the 460. I know they can be converted just like any other truck but I was almost certain they were never factory equipped with MAF.
There was never an EEC-IV MAF 460. However, 96-97 California (Maybe just 97?) 460 trucks were EEC-V OBD-II MAF.

There is no MAF 460 ECU you can just plug-n-play into an EEC-IV system. Just get an A9L/P + Moates QuarterHorse + Binary editor and be done with it. If you have an E4OD, you'll need a HOG0/HOG1/VEX1.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro

I wish I could find the darn thread.
I remember a year of so ago, new guy asking questions about his new truck and when he finally figured out how to post pics it was a maf truck.
This isn't the truck, but if the picture shows up, it's a 460 maf truck.

Last edited by UNTAMND; 01-21-2014 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Link didn't work
Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, MAF 460 trucks exist, they're all OBD-II EEC-V systems though. EEC-V computers use a completely different ECU connector compared to the older EEC-IV computer.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:51 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Blurry94 I had a couple of questions regarding the AKC0 PCM as you stated you have first hand experience with both theat particular PCM and the capabilities of the SCT tuning capabilities that mine had installed my the previous owner

Right now my planned setup is to use a factory 5.0 MAF harness I pulled from a 95 the other day and replace my entire harness. I know that is a good bit more work but I figure there is much less chance for error on my part this way. I got pretty much a complete harness. All that was missing was a couple sensor plugs some idiot cut off just to pull a sensor. Would you think that would work fine or would or did I cause more problems for myself?

Also what part number mass air meter was included in the MAF conversion kit? I got one off a 94 f150(PN F5UF-12B579-AA I believe) but I have been told that a different sensor was used for the Lightning along with a much larger meter and just wanted to verify.

Also which SCT chip did you use? My PCM came with a 5500b chip the previous owner had installed but he used the PCM in a mustang so I think a lot of the trans stuff will be "turned off" if you will so I am sure that I will have to get some tuning done even before I put it in to even make my truck drivable let alone tuned right.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Using a complete harness is fine, i'm sure thare are some here that have gone that route and can offer more details that may help you make the swap. And the AKC0 ECU will plug right up to it also. I know of a couple GEN 1 Lightning owners that just modified their factory speed density harnesses to convert to mass air as well.

The MAF sensors from an F-150 and GEN 1 conversion kit are different, physically and electronically. The GEN 1 MAF housing is larger, 80mm, and its sensor is matched with the transfer function within the AKC0 ECU and 30lb injectors. So if you have all three of those components then the motor should run without that chip.

I believe the chip I use is the same; 4-bank chip with a rotary switch that plugs into the J-3 port. I use FAST XFI to control the engine now but still utilize the SCT software and chip to control the transmission through the factory ECU.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Just get an A9L/P + Moates QuarterHorse + Binary editor and be done with it. If you have an E4OD, you'll need a HOG0/HOG1/VEX1.
+1 on that, if you're building a motor that needs tuning and you want mass air you can use any MAF PCM.. it doesn't matter if it's going on a 460 or a 5.0 once you have the tuner connected you can set the engine displacement scalar to whatever you want, same with the MAF transfer function and the injector size, the only thing that matters is that it is the right PCM for whatever transmission you have.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:51 PM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
I would think the wiring would be pretty much the same but I am not sure. I have a diagram for both a 5.0 and 5.8 MAF truck but not a lightning to compare. There are a few differences in the 5.0 and 5.8 but I don't think it will affect my application. I was told by by someone at Fiveology that the 5.8 SD and the 5.0 MAF harnesses are very similar so that should help.

I am not going to run near the power to need any more than 24# injectors and that is what the previous owner told me he was running in his setup before he swapped to carb. What is the part number for your MAF sensor. I may choose to swap and use that one instead. I have to run with the chip anyways as the previous owner no longer had the original

Can you change the shift points with different tunes on the SCT rotatry switch? That may be a way for me to get around the 4lo problem. I don't have the switch but I know they aren't that expensive to get.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
I was told by by someone at Fiveology that the 5.8 SD and the 5.0 MAF harnesses are very similar so that should help.
I suppose if you ignore the fact that the SD harness doesn't have any of the MAF and sequential injector wiring.

I have to run with the chip anyways as the previous owner no longer had the original
No.. that's not how it works. The chip and tuner modules used on these Ford PCMs simply overrides the internal ROM... it doesn't replace it, so all you got to do is remove the chip and you have a stock PCM again.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The part number for the MAF that is matched with the AKC0 is F50F-12B579-AA AFH80-01A.

Whatever ECU you plan to use, get the air meter and injectors that it's programmed to run with; it will make DIY tuning much easier. Sure, you can use any ECU with any motor, injector, MAF combo, but the more complex the components, the more time you will spend trying to dial everything in. Getting matching ECU, air meter and injectors, be it those that match an AKC0 or something like an HOG0, will make DIY tuning a little easier, especially for the beginner.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Got to looking in to it this morning and I can get out on the matching MAF sensor pretty cheap. I actually may be able to trade the one I have for the matching one. I just have to change the plug on my harness to the newer style. But I won't have anywhere near the power to need 30# injectors. I will probably barely need 24s or be close enough to make it worth changing. So would I be better off changing to another PCM or having the AKC0 reprogrammed for my needs?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:04 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
The only thing that is specific to the calibration of the maf sensor is the diameter of the housing, and the sample tube that brings the air over the electronic piece. The electronic piece itself is all calibrated the same and can interchange between different housings. All you would have to do is remove the six wire electronic piece and replace it with your four wire electronic piece.
Some aftermarket mass air meters calibrate specifically, the sample tube, to a certain injector size, to fake the calibration that the ECU you have. That way you are running a stock 19 pound injector calibration but you have a 24 or a 30 pound Mass air meter and injectors.
With tuning software you can put any meter size with any injector size with any ECU and you can tweak it so that everything works together.

I lost track of what I was getting at so I'll just leave it at that.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:40 AM
coxthecrazy
Senior User
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
The only thing that is specific to the calibration of the maf sensor is the diameter of the housing, and the sample tube that brings the air over the electronic piece. The electronic piece itself is all calibrated the same and can interchange between different housings. All you would have to do is remove the six wire electronic piece and replace it with your four wire electronic piece.
Some aftermarket mass air meters calibrate specifically, the sample tube, to a certain injector size, to fake the calibration that the ECU you have. That way you are running a stock 19 pound injector calibration but you have a 24 or a 30 pound Mass air meter and injectors.
With tuning software you can put any meter size with any injector size with any ECU and you can tweak it so that everything works together.

I lost track of what I was getting at so I'll just leave it at that.
So basically what you are saying is if I was to remove the chip to take the PCM back to stock tune and install the stock f150 MAF housing i have(55mm I think) instead of the 80 mm it would more or less calibrate to my 19# injectors and then I swap to the correct housing when I need the 24#. All I have to do is swap to the correct electronics to match my PCM. Am I following your thought correctly?

Quick Reply: Mass Air Conversion-needing some help