1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission is confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BossGasser

If it can't learn then it will get shock treatment until it does what I want.
Nice!...LOL

Old 10-31-2013, 07:46 AM
Fastfwd
Senior User
Originally Posted by vloney
She drives differently than hubby, not as "agressively". She brings it in for harsh shifting. We reset perameters, she's happy. Hubby comes home, he's not.
I'm going to use that.

Sorry wife you have to keep using the MDX otherwise the transmission on the F250 will get confused.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
They do smooth out over time. Also, once you get rid of the stock tires, it makes a difference as well. It did scare me a few times at the beginning when trying to pass on the highway, but after 140,XXX miles, she is running like a top!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:27 AM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by vloney
Yep, vary your driving style, and it doesn't know what to do. We've got military here. Husband drives the truck usually. Husband gets deployed, wife starts driving it. She drives differently than hubby, not as "agressively". She brings it in for harsh shifting. We reset perameters, she's happy. Hubby comes home, he's not.
absolutely believable.

IMO, the new adaptive shift stragegy is a clear step backwards from their old adaptive shift strategy.

just make the darn thing shift the best for the conditions it is seeing, i.e. load, and throttle angle.

you may end up with a couple harsh shifts when you unload, and a couple soft shifts when you load up, but you wont end up with a transmission that consistently shifts poorly when someone else takes the wheel.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:39 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
i love new technology! Auto manufactures think that learning software will help when in reality all it does it hurt the truck and cars. How can the manufactures think that this software will help when your going on a weekend trip with your wife and kids and the truck will shift hard on friday afternoon and then really soft on sunday night, then monday morning you hook up to you 10k work trailer and not a half mile down the road the trans feels like its slipping into gears???????????? Give me a E4OD ANY DAY better yet just give me back the monster six speed manual FORD!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2-3 shift is too slow, I actually lose speed before it shifts into 3rd and it really doesn't matter what the throttle position is or what load I'm carrying or pulling. I would love the 5r110 behind this engine, it would make my new truck experience awesome. This trans is killing the 6.2.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
It's not the trans, it's the software.
Why would I be in 6th at 30 mph? Should I have to shift to M then manually select 2 then stomp on it to pass and then shift to 3 then shift it back to Drive?
NO!
Electro Shock Therapy (tuner) is in the works.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I am tuned, it still has the 2-3 delay. I might have to play around with shift pressures and see what that does.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:22 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
Which tuner?
Should I buy a 5star or something else?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:31 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
I have the SCT from 5star.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:06 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
what about a real shiftkit from TransGo or another company? I hated both my SuperChip and SCT trans settings, then i finally installed a HD TransGo shift kit and its like a completely different truck. Shifts are amazing all the time no matter what

Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Nothing available yet for the 6 speed.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:19 PM
BossGasser
Elder User
It's all software now isn't it? No physical overrides?

Old 04-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Maverick163
Freshman User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, so this is the best thread I've found to describe what I'm experiencing but it's 3 years old so I thought I would pile on.

I just bought a used 2012 F250 Crew Gasser and it does display the hard cold shift from 2 to 3 or 1 to 2. I'll try and pay attention next time, but anyway, it's one hard shift in the morning somewhere between 1 and 3. hahaha.

Number 2 thing it does: As I reverse and come to a stop to put it in drive it appears to have some kind of a trans brake. When I put it in drive it sits there like I have the brakes on until I push on the gas. And that is on an incline with the back of the truck down hill. It's kind of wired but also nice that it doesn't roll backwards on me. Maybe that's normal. Anyone experience that?

Third thing it does occasionally. When I come to a rolling stop exiting a highway it feels like it tried to guess when I was going to smash the gas pedal down and at the last minute it thought I was going to go easy so it had 3rd or 4th gear queued up and decided 2nd was what I wanted. So it slipped a little and hit 2nd so hard I thought someone rear ended me. Kind of like dumping the clutch on a manual trans.

I checked for the obvious cause being a slip yoke and the 2012 does not have one. I'm pretty sure that's because the transmission has the transfer case attached to the back of the tranny like the old explorers had.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

I use to race 1/4 mile so I know a little about how things work. This seems like a software issue, but I will check fluid levels this weekend and then take it in for code check/solenoid assessment.

One thing I do is take 6th gear out using the shifter selection when I'm bussing around town. My thinking here is by locking out the 6th gear solenoid I'm bringing the pressure up on gears 1 through 5. That seems to keep the tranny in check for around town.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Shovel Monkey
Freshman User
Wow, I forgot I even had an account here..

So, if your 2012 is anything like my 2014 f250...

The trans brake situation, that is normal. it is some anti roll back crazyness that the trucks do, it is actually the breaks I think. more for the standard shift trucks, but I think its call hill assist of something like that... Took me a while to figure it out, I thought my breaks where sticking...

As for the trans.. The transmissions learn how you drive, so if you and someone else drive truck every now and then, well it learns each erson every time. or if you come from long trip on interstate, then into rush hour traffic in town, it has to re learn. I hate it, mine does that and I hate it, expecaly when I want to pass someone and it has to think about it, not like my old truck or the crown vic which have cables and not magic elves in a computer....

Anyway if you want it to behave line a normal transmission in town, trive it in tow haul mode. I do not recommend do it, but it acts normal and I do it if in heavy traffic so its not in 6th gear at 15 mph.

Again, its normal for these transmission to act stupid, since they have to learn all the time, like a retarded dog. There may be some tuning or something in the computer that can be adjusted, I have not looked into it as my truck is still under power train warranty..

I bet yours also cunks, just a little almost like it has a loose u jount when you start and stop, I assume that is what you are refering to with the slip yoke..
Yeah, every oil change I have ford check it, not there quick lane, but there heavy truck service dept, and each time they find nothing wrong. I myself have been al under it looking too, can't find anything wrong, it just does it...

hope this helps....

Quick Reply: Transmission is confused