1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

typical wear or could this indicate more clutch problems!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
typical wear or could this indicate more clutch problems!

I pulled a tranny that I thought was bearing issues but actually ended up being rollover. Ate $300 but at least I know that it's rollover since the second tranny did the same thing along with a bad 4th gear syncro so I'm swapping them back since the first tranny didn't grind in any gear.
On both installations I had a squeaky throw out. One in now is even worse.
I thought I would inspect the throw out and shift fork to see if I could see anything that would lead me to believe I have clutch issues as a just in case.
Planning on buying a new shift fork just because this one looks like it was worn out pretty good. Is this normal wear out of the shift fork or is this something more. I just wonder if the clutch is actually pushing against the fork too much and causing this wear? I suspect this wear was not allowing enough pressure against throwout when clutch was engaged resulting in the squeak. Any thoughts? Would anyone agree? disagree?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
Did you use the same fork and TO bearing on both transmissions? If you used the same TO bearing,it might be time to replace it. I don't recall mine having that much wear on the fork, even when the TO bearing crapped out, but that has been 2 or 3 years ago.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:26 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like a lot of wear. Not abnormal though, just a lot of normal wear. I bet if you look at the back of it where the stud that it pivots on rides there is a lot of wear there too. Like this.....

May want to replace the stud in the trans you're putting back in the truck too.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
I was thinking about it. I figured that aint gonna be a really expensive part so I might as well! The divot def had some wear but ball pivot in trans looked pretty good but I'm gonna swap anyway since its out. Dropped my fluid out of tcase so the ball is rolling! Just call me Doc Patrick. Bill, i could wheel u in the garage and do some operating on u too while I'm at it. Haha. I'll ask these guys on here for advice on your procedure!

Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodtrucker
I'll ask these guys on here for advice on your procedure!
These guys!?!?!?!.........trucks yeah........me, uhhhh NO! LOL!!! They would have me looking like Frankinstien or a robot or something! I'd have lights on top my head, gauges stuck to my forehead, a 5" stack sticking out my butt! I think I'll let the doctors handle this one! LOL!!

Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
I'll put some stage 2 injectors in your heart and then you could run faster than Forest Gump and blow smoke out your tailpipe! haha. Forest couldn't blow smoke!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:46 PM
woodtrucker
Senior User
one step closer to pulling trans

I got the shift fork out the trans I'm swapping out tonight. It was really worn out at the pivot ball. Looked just like yours Bill. Got the tcase removed.
The Tcase looked like this:

I can't tell if the leakage is coming from the shift lever hole or blowing out the vent tube. Regardless, I want to break this the clamshell and reseal since I recently sealed the tail housing b/c the gasket material was gone and leaking! I expect the clamshell to have very little sealing power left too.
Anybody have any tips on breaking it? I've heard you have to open it a certain direction or it gets messy. Any advice on where that leak might be coming from?
I'm ready to pull trans but I want to get the Tcase cleaned up and resealed before reassemble. Making progress. Farther along than I thought I'd be this weekend!