6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

ABS Codes C1233 and C1155 ***My AE arrived from Riff Raff today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 07:35 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Codes C1233 and C1155 ***My AE arrived from Riff Raff today...

I ordered it on Monday and it arrived today. They shipped it USPS 2 Day Priority Shipping (FREE) after paying only $359.99. It made it from Oregon to South Carolina in 2 days. Cheapest/Best deal on the net! Also, the AE came in with an installation disk that was very recent. 8/30/2013. That means Riff Raff isn't selling any old units! These are fresh. Great deal if you're in the market.

I have an ABS light that is intermittent on my RWD F250 (NOT 4X4) I ran the ABS test and turns out I have 2 codes. C1233 and C1155.

C1233 Ford - Speed Wheel LF Input Signal Missing
C1155 Ford - Speed Wheel Sensor LF Input Circuit Failure

The ABS Sensor has been off/on for a month. I replaced the Wheel Bearing a couple of weeks ago after I noticed a grinding noise. The ABS Light went off for an entire day and I thought that was it. But the light returned. ABS light comes on and then goes off, and then after a few stop and go driving attempts, it comes on again. Sometimes it comes on and I don't notice any spongy break 'feel', other times I'll go to hit my brakes and the truck will pull hard to the right, brakes feel spongy and feels out of control. I don't know how else to explain it.

I pulled the rotor again today and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I traced the LF sensor and didn't find any chaffing. I don't want to just replace the sensor and have the same light.

Looking for ways to troubleshoot this without needing the special tools other than a Fluke and AE? Any ideas?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:38 PM
wakeupluis
Senior User
I am hoping to get it for my birthday next month! I gave momma a link to AE with ford bundle. Let me know how it works out.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Would checking the resistance of both front wheel sensors help to see if they are out of spec?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wakeupluis
I am hoping to get it for my birthday next month! I gave momma a link to AE with ford bundle. Let me know how it works out.
I actually like it so far, especially the logging. I've completed a few tests like Power Balance and injector buzz. Peace of mind! I got it to save me money on taking it to the dealer for diags. It saved me from just doing the 'easy' fix and changing the ABS sensor on the rear diff. Now I know which one it is pointing to.

I have an idea. At this point, unless someone has a better idea, I'll just swap the LF and RF sensors and see if the problem moves to the right side.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Curt's05
Would checking the resistance of both front wheel sensors help to see if they are out of spec?
hmmm, that's probably a better idea than just swapping them. I guess I should jack it up and spin the wheel while I'm reading right? Compare the 2?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
If the OP ends up needing a sensor, I think we have a new extra one on the shelf from a truck that only needed 2 wheel abs.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 AM
_Me2_
Elder User

AE is on my list, as well. Sooner or later I'll get around to buying it.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 AM
Edogsf350
Senior User
Originally Posted by 99ExpyProblems
hmmm, that's probably a better idea than just swapping them. I guess I should jack it up and spin the wheel while I'm reading right? Compare the 2?
after you check for resistance. Spin the wheel and check for A/C voltage. The faster you spin the more voltage.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:33 AM
Edogsf350
Senior User
try doing a live data graph with all the speed sensors while you drive and record it. then put into a CSV. file so you can look at the data

Old 10-24-2013, 07:28 AM
HeavyAssault
Cargo Master
Received 203 Likes on 109 Posts
I don't recall the code but had an ABS light and code. Replaced the sensors. All good.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Riffraff Performance
If the OP ends up needing a sensor, I think we have a new extra one on the shelf from a truck that only needed 2 wheel abs.
Clay and the folks at Riffraff,

You guys are awesome to deal with...whenever I order parts from you your customer service is second to none, and the parts are always shipped across the country to me lightning quick.

I was wondering about my AE, I purchased it about 3 years ago now and I have a new laptop, is my older version compatible with windows 7?

Thanks,

Sarge

Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Clay and the folks at Riffraff,

You guys are awesome to deal with...whenever I order parts from you your customer service is second to none, and the parts are always shipped across the country to me lightning quick.

I was wondering about my AE, I purchased it about 3 years ago now and I have a new laptop, is my older version compatible with windows 7?

Thanks,

Sarge
Happy to help where we can. Yes, it should work on windows 7 as well, but I am not positive if it would work on Windows 8.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:17 AM
Edogsf350
Senior User
did you get to the abs light

Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Edogsf350
did you get to the abs light
If you're asking me, YES. I have ABS Light. It goes off, then on. It's intermittent. Sometimes, when the ABS light is off, I will hit the brakes and my truck will feel like the ABS valves are all working except Left front because it gets spongy and then pulls to the right on braking. Then a few seconds after driving off, the light will come on again, ABS is disabled and the braking works, just don't have ABS. I haven't had time to get back to troubleshooting it. I will try again this weekend.

To tell the truth, it happened not long after I did a flush of the brake fluid. It seems like it was a week later? I'm just guessing.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:10 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Just posting this: This is what I am using to troubleshoot C1155

Since I don't have the special tool, I will be skipping to D4

Pinpoint Test D: DTCs C1145 (RF), C1155 (LF), C1175 (REAR) — Wheel Speed Sensor Input Circuit Failure

Normal Operation

The active wheel speed sensors generate a square wave signal that is sent to the anti-lock brake system (ABS) module. The wheel speed sensor circuitry connects to the ABS module through 2 wires and a connector at each wheel speed sensor. When the ignition is turned to the RUN position, the ABS module carries out a self-test by sending a reference voltage to all of the wheel speed sensors and their circuitry to determine if they are functional.
Voltage and ground signals are supplied to the wheel speed sensors from the ABS module.
  • Possible Causes
  • Circuit open
  • Circuit shorted
  • Wheel speed sensor
  • ABS module
PINPOINT TEST D: DTCs C1145 (RF), C1155 (LF), C1175 (REAR) — WHEEL SPEED SENSOR INPUT CIRCUIT FAILURE

NOTICE: Use the flex probe kit for all test connections to prevent damage to the wiring terminals. Do not use standard multimeter probes.
<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="96%"> <tbody> <tr> <th>Test Step </th> <th>Result / Action to Take </th></tr> <tr> <td> D1 CHECK FOR FAULT REPEATABILITY </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
</td></tr> <tr valign="top"> <td>
  • NOTE: Both circuits must be checked for each DTC.
  • Connect the scan tool.
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: Clear the Continuous DTCs.
  • Drive the vehicle at least 16 km/h (10 mph).
  • Retrieve and document continuous DTCs.
  • Is DTC C1145, C1155 or C1175 retrieved?
</td> <td style="BORDER-TOP: medium none">Yes
If the active wheel speed sensor tool is available, GO to D2 . If the active wheel speed sensor tool is not available, GO to D4 .

No
If any other DTCs are retrieved, GO to the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index. </td></tr> <tr> <td> D2 CHECK THE ABS MODULE OUTPUT USING THE SPECIAL TOOL </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: Suspect Wheel Speed Sensor.
  • Connect the special tool to the wheel speed sensor connectors.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Select the correct system polarity on the special tool and turn the special tool power switch to the ON position.
  • Is the module output LED illuminated?
GO to D3 .

No
GO to D6 . </td></tr> <tr> <td> D3 CHECK THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR OUTPUT WITH THE SPECIAL TOOL </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Raise the suspect wheel until it can spin freely. Refer to Section 100-02 .
  • While monitoring the special tool, slowly spin the suspect wheel.
  • Do the sensor output LEDs illuminate and flash and is the current overload LED not illuminated?
The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
If the current level LED is not illuminated and the sensor output LEDs do not illuminate or if the current level LED is illuminated red, INSTALL a new wheel speed sensor. For the front wheel speed sensor, REFER to Wheel Speed Sensor — Front, Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) or Wheel Speed Sensor — Front, Four Wheel Drive (4WD) in this section. For the rear wheel speed sensor, REFER to Wheel Speed Sensor — Rear in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

If the current level LED is not illuminated and the sensor output LEDs illuminate green but do not flash, INSPECT the wheel speed sensor tone ring and INSTALL new if necessary. If the tone ring is OK, INSTALL a new wheel speed sensor. For the front wheel speed sensor, REFER to Wheel Speed Sensor — Front, Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) or Wheel Speed Sensor — Front, Four Wheel Drive (4WD) in this section. For the rear wheel speed sensor, REFER to Wheel Speed Sensor — Rear in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. </td></tr> <tr> <td> D4 CHECK FOR A SHORT TO VOLTAGE </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: ABS Module C135.
  • Disconnect: Suspect Wheel Speed Sensor.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage between ABS module connector, harness side and ground, as follows:

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <th align="center" valign="bottom">DTC </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">ABS Module Connector-Pin </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">Circuit </th></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1145 (RF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-26 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">514 (YE/RD) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1145 (RF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-27 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">516 (YE/BK) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1155 (LF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-12 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">521 (TN/OG) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1155 (LF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-13 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">522 (TN/BK) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1175 (rear) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-42 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">523 (RD/PK) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1175 (rear) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-41 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">519 (LG/BK) </td></tr></tbody></table>
  • Is voltage present?
REPAIR the circuit(s) in question. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
GO to D5 . </td></tr> <tr> <td> D5 CHECK FOR A SHORT TO GROUND </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Measure the resistance between ABS module connector, harness side and ground, as follows:

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <th align="center" valign="bottom">DTC </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">ABS Module Connector-Pin </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">Circuit </th></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1145 (RF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-26 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">514 (YE/RD) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1145 (RF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-27 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">516 (YE/BK) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1155 (LF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-12 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">521 (TN/OG) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1155 (LF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-13 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">522 (TN/BK) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1175 (rear) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-42 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">523 (RD/PK) </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1175 (rear) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-41 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">519 (LG/BK) </td></tr></tbody></table>
  • Are the resistances greater than 10,000 ohms?
GO to D6 .

No
REPAIR the circuit(s) in question. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation. </td></tr> <tr> <td> D6 CHECK FOR AN OPEN </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Disconnect: ABS Module C135.
  • Disconnect: Suspect Wheel Speed Connector.
  • Measure the resistance between ABS module C135, harness side and suspected wheel speed sensor connector, harness side, as follows:

<table border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <th align="center" valign="bottom">DTC </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">Circuit </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">ABS Module Connector-Pin </th> <th align="center" valign="bottom">Wheel Speed Sensor Connector-Pin </th></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1145 (RF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">514 (YE/RD) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-26 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C160-1 </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1145 (RF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">516 (YE/BK) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-27 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C160-2 </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1155 (LF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">521 (TN/OG) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-12 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C150-1 </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1155 (LF) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">522 (TN/BK) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-13 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C150-2 </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1175 (rear) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">523 (RD/PK) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-42 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C455-2 </td></tr> <tr> <td align="center" valign="top">C1175 (rear) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">519 (LG/BK) </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C135-41 </td> <td align="center" valign="top">C455-1 </td></tr></tbody></table>
  • Are the resistances less than 5 ohms?
GO to D7 .

No
REPAIR the circuit(s) in question. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. </td></tr> <tr> <td> D7 CHECK FOR SHORTED WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUITS </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Measure the resistance between suspect front wheel speed sensor pins, harness side with the meter in the 10 megaohm range.

• Measure the resistance between rear wheel speed sensor pins, harness side with the meter in the 10 megaohm range.

• Is there any continuity?
REPAIR the circuit(s) in question. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
GO to D8 . </td></tr> <tr> <td> D8 CHECK THE ABS MODULE OUTPUT </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Connect: ABS Module C135.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage between the suspect front wheel speed sensor pins, harness side.

• Measure the voltage between the rear wheel speed sensor pins, harness side.

• Are the voltages greater than 10 volts?
INSTALL a new wheel speed sensor. For the front wheel speed sensor, REFER to Wheel Speed Sensor — Front, Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) or Wheel Speed Sensor — Front, Four Wheel Drive (4WD) in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. For the rear wheel speed sensor, REFER to Wheel Speed Sensor — Rear in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. TEST the system for normal operation.

No
GO to D9 . </td></tr> <tr> <td> D9 CHECK FOR CORRECT ABS MODULE OPERATION </td> <td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
  • Disconnect the ABS connector.
  • Check for:
    • corrosion.
    • pushed-out pins.
  • Connect the ABS connector and make sure that it is seated correctly.
  • Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.
  • Is the concern still present?
INSTALL a new ABS module. REFER to Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module in this section. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test.

No
The system is operating correctly at this time. The concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. CLEAR the DTCs. REPEAT the self-test. </td></tr></tbody></table>

Quick Reply: ABS Codes C1233 and C1155 ***My AE arrived from Riff Raff today...