1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48F2 front end handle a 351w

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 06:59 AM
flushedup
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48F2 front end handle a 351w

I rebuilt the front steering box and the whole front end using a drop axle from CCP with disc brakes I'm putting in a 351w My question is can it handle it and how will it handle. I don't expect great handling just want a cool safe cruiser. I'm not really sure if I can deal with installing a IFS

Old 10-23-2013, 07:44 AM
OldGrayMare
Senior User
I'm not much help but I have a 48 F1 with a 351W and stock front end. It does fit and runs, but I do not have it driving yet because I don't have brakes.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:12 AM
retro48/52
Senior User
I have an original rebuilt front end in a 48 frame under a 52 body. I also have a Toyota power steering box and power brakes. I put a 429 in the bay and mine drives very well. I did however box my front end in before I put the new motor mounts in the frame. I also put on a dampening shock and it did make a difference on how it steers. I will purchase sway bars to stop the leaning when I go around corners but everything else works great. Your 351 with the original suspension will do just fine.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:22 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Do you feel a lot of understeer with the 429?

Old 10-23-2013, 09:06 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Flush,
I think you are heading a good direction on your build. We've got a 1950 with a Mustang II IFS & a mild 351W. It was a huge pain to cut into the frame & have the IFS installed - it took months. I wouldn't do it again - I'd stick with a rebuilt stock front end with a disc brake kit & Toyota power steering.

Post a pic when you get a chance & let's see what you are working with
over there in Florida.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 10-24-2013, 12:41 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could we see some pictures? Here is how.

But I got ta say becoming a supporter is the fastest and easiest way to post pics right from
your whatever pad/cell thing or home computer.
Few of us look in the users Gallery or album as you can see by your recent visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
The best photos and videos | Photobucket

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html Bob's link is not working. Can someone in the know tell me why?

How to upload pictures to the FTE Forums. - YouTube. Thanks Sam Rusty_Old_F250. Best we can find is that this video was done by Gundown64

Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM
retro48/52
Senior User
No, I have seen no understeer with my setup.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996
Do you feel a lot of understeer with the 429?
Are you serious? This is a 3/4T 70 year old PICKUP with 60% or more of the weight on the front wheels you're asking about, not a NASCAR cup car or ZO6 Corvette! There is no way that it could be safely pushed to the point that oversteer or understeer could possibly even be evaluated much less be a concern.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:22 PM
BigBlockMan
Senior User
I use to run a '51 with a 429. I had new king pins, shocks and all the steering was new OEM aftermarket. It drove like a '51 F1, that's it. I bet I had over 100 passes on it at Atlanta Dragway. Oh, ford drum brakes too. I was much younger too.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:17 PM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What aspect of this engine swap is it that concerns you. If it is the weight of a 351 as compared to a flathead , i would not worry .

Old 10-31-2013, 08:28 PM
mustangmike6996
Elder User
Originally Posted by AXracer
Are you serious? This is a 3/4T 70 year old PICKUP with 60% or more of the weight on the front wheels you're asking about, not a NASCAR cup car or ZO6 Corvette! There is no way that it could be safely pushed to the point that oversteer or understeer could possibly even be evaluated much less be a concern.

I could have typed more but the question was moreso a realtive one. I know some people who swapped out X engine for Y engine and with the added power and partial suspension mods the trucks are nearly impossible to drive. Im not talking about understeer running around a track but moreso daily driveability

Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Understeer or oversteer is a description of which end of a vehicle loses traction first when pushed to the traction limit in a curve. Understeer or "push" as the NASCAR drivers call it, is when the front tires lose traction first and altho the wheels are turned the vehicle pushes in a straight line towards the outside of the turn. Oversteer or "loose" is when the rear tires lose traction first and the rear wants to come around into a spin. (Neutral, the ideal condition, is where both ends lose traction at the same time the vehicle slides broadside towards the outside of the turn. Sometimes called "drift".)
Note that the vehicle has to be driven thru a curve until traction is lost to evaluate if a vehicle oversteers or understeers. If no tires are sliding the vehicle is simply steering around the curve.
Almost all street vehicles are set up to understeer. An understeer is much easier to recover from, simply lift the throttle or tap the brake and as soon as the vehicle slows just a bit the front tires will regain traction and stop sliding. This is an automatic reaction in most people, so it doesn't need to be taught. Oversteer slide recovery needs to be taught and experienced. A sudden abrupt reduction in speed will increase the oversteer and usually ends in a spin or worse. Even a vehicle that normally would understeer (especially rear wheel drive) can be put into an oversteer slide by sudden loss of rear traction from road (and/or tire) conditions, sudden throttle application in a turn while the rear wheels are near traction limit, rear axle hitting a bump while in a strong turn. This type induced oversteer is a major cause of car accidents where the car runs off the road after dropping a wheel or two off the pavement (often running into a fixed object, tree, guard rail, ditch, off the pavement after overcorrecting into a second spin), or spins on wet/icy roads,
Moral of the story: if you are not overdriving your vehicle's traction limits it cannot be oversteering or understeering. Our trucks, unless very heavily modified also have a high roll center, seldom have adequate shocks, swaybars, tires, alignment which can suddenly turn an oversteer or understeer slide into a roll-over!
In the defensive driving and high performance driving schools I've taught, we deliberately have students push their vehicles into slides to show them how to recover and what happens if/when you reach the point of no return.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:12 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great write up Ax. My boys are so into "Drifting" The 14 year old has already rolled
one Ranger because of it. The other is pretty good with it on his 4 Wheeler. Or what I call a power drift or slide on the Dirt bike.

I will have them read this later than we will do some Googling into it.
Again great stuff.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:12 PM
retro48/52
Senior User
x2 AX, again, in my setup, I have not had any front end problems with a complete rebuild of the straight axle. Toyota power steering, front power disc brakes were installed for the best half. Boxed the front and back, Installed a 9" and away I go.

(p.s. I learned understeer, oversteer and how to drift in Cleveland, Ohio snow with my 70 Challenger 340 6P auto, lol.)

Old 11-02-2013, 12:13 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
No one should have a problem with oversteer or understeer if they aren't overdriving. IMHO overdriving on the street is playing Russian Roulette with 3 cylinders loaded!

Retro, I too learned a lot about controlling and recovering from slide in Buffalo. I would go to a large parkinglot right after the first snow each year and relearn the techniques. Of course all cars were rear wheel drive back then so it was a matter of survival. It was some time after I left NY before I ever experienced driving a FWD in snow, I was quite surprised at how hard it was to initiate a slide and how easy it was to recover. Since then I autocrossed two FWD car for a season each, a 2002 Toyota Celica and a 2004 Mini S. I would teach Novice AXers that drove FWD drive to repeat the mantra: "The throttle is your friend, tho shalt not lift." A sudden lift at the limit of traction in a curve with a FWD unloads the rear wheels and causes the vehicle to go into throttle lift oversteer and an almost certain spin. Best thing to do is unwind the wheel (remove some steering input) and mash the gas and let it pull you around the turn. It was fun to do and would often lift an inside rear wheel. We called it stepping over the cone.

Quick Reply: 48F2 front end handle a 351w