6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

typical questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:27 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by aquaman
Looks like a standard RJ45 to ODB connector cable. They're about $10 each online. I have 2 of them :-)
For sure, Scangauge uses them. Not sure about what other tuners use. H&S uses a custom OBD dongle
with an HDMI cable, so it's not an H&S

One way to see if the truck's been tuned recently is inspect the DPF/CAT and see if there are handprints, tool marks/wear on the nuts/gaskets, etc....

As for black tailpipes....I've see quite a few '08's with black tailpipes even with the DPF still on!
OP says it's gone. The tail pipe is after market. He bought the truck tuned but got no tuner.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
amosmoses
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tuners

hey thanks for all the help guys. just wanted to make sure im on the right page. if I get a tuner it won't work because my pcm is syncd with whatever the P.O was using? im assuming the cord that was left was for some kind of monitoring device and whatever programmer was used is gone. not sure abount the black pipes. the truck does thro a little puff of smoke out whenever u really get on it. would this be a sine the truck is running a high hp tune? i got the truck at a dealerlship and im going to see if they can contact the p.o to ask what all the mods are done to this truck

Old 10-24-2013, 04:38 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by amosmoses
hey thanks for all the help guys. just wanted to make sure im on the right page. if I get a tuner it won't work because my pcm is syncd with whatever the P.O was using? im assuming the cord that was left was for some kind of monitoring device and whatever programmer was used is gone. not sure abount the black pipes. the truck does thro a little puff of smoke out whenever u really get on it. would this be a sine the truck is running a high hp tune? i got the truck at a dealerlship and im going to see if they can contact the p.o to ask what all the mods are done to this truck
You hold all the cards with the dealer. He is in violation of a lot of federal laws for selling the truck with the emmissions altered. And I'm sure he has violated Ford policy for doing it. A wise thing would be to tell him you want the truck returned to stock. He would have to supply a DPF and exhaust and of course then do a reflash on the truck. I'd just go to the used car manager and say "WTF, I got stopped by the state police and they told me the truck is a rolling crime spree and if I don't get it fixed they're coming for me and whoever sold it to me". Then watch all hell break loose.

Unless you can get in contact with the PO the dealer is the only course of action that makes any sense. Once he returned it to stock then you could delete and tune it if you wanted to or just leave it stock. At least you would know what you had and if you want to sell it later it will be much easier to sell stock.

As to the black pipe that is indicative of a tuned deleted truck. Some stock trucks will get black but you also have the wrong tail pipe. And deleted you should make some black smoke when you kick it in the butt. My tuner has a place to set the amount of smoke you want to make. Good luck whatever you do.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:19 PM
amosmoses
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoking

got another question... cought my truck smoking at idle 2day. I came home from work for about 5min so I left the truck running. when I walked back out It appeared to be smoking a little. just like a little haze. could only see it in a sertain light. is this something to worry about? far a my tuner issues go Im going to call the dealer tomaro. hopefully he can get me in touch with the P.O. if he can't help me I may bring up your suggestion about the laws. although im not sure of the PA laws and I did sine an "as is" paper when I bought it. if he still can't help me im considering visiting the P.O.... there is a home location saved in the navigation. not sure if this is a good idea or not but it was a thought.
another thing I mentioned in my original post was about the engine sound changing when I get to around 2000 rpm. it dosent sound terrible but there is a noticble change in sound and Its like power falls off. itll be pulling good and then hit this spot and you will lean forward a little. almost like you were WOT an then let off but not that extreme and without letting off. any thoughts on this?? thanks again

Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First you have to get the tuner deal straight and see what it cures.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:56 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by amosmoses
got another question... cought my truck smoking at idle 2day. I came home from work for about 5min so I left the truck running. when I walked back out It appeared to be smoking a little. just like a little haze. could only see it in a sertain light. is this something to worry about? far a my tuner issues go Im going to call the dealer tomaro. hopefully he can get me in touch with the P.O. if he can't help me I may bring up your suggestion about the laws. although im not sure of the PA laws and I did sine an "as is" paper when I bought it. if he still can't help me im considering visiting the P.O.... there is a home location saved in the navigation. not sure if this is a good idea or not but it was a thought.
another thing I mentioned in my original post was about the engine sound changing when I get to around 2000 rpm. it dosent sound terrible but there is a noticble change in sound and Its like power falls off. itll be pulling good and then hit this spot and you will lean forward a little. almost like you were WOT an then let off but not that extreme and without letting off. any thoughts on this?? thanks again
Trust me, if you're in PA they have a law for everything. You can bet your bottom dollar that dealer borke a number of them selling that truck modified. And he absolutely broke a federal statute. And, he left you in a tough spot. he shouldn't have done that. It's pretty clear to me you did not know the ramifacations of the truck being tuned with no tuner on it. BTW, I grew up in Clearfield County near houtzdale. Hard to say whats going on with the revs in the motor until we figure out what tunes you have.