Sponsored by: DP Tuner

WIRING HARNESS: '02, 7.3, 42-PIN BACK TO VC's

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 PM
lhud
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WIRING HARNESS: '02, 7.3, 42-PIN BACK TO VC's

Hey guys , got a problem. Was planning to splice a pig tail to the UVCH connector on the passenger side - no big deal. Well, when I tore into the wiring the insulation is breaking off both the injector wires and the glow plug wires and goes pretty far back into the harness in front of the turbo. I'm thinking of simply replacing the harness from the 42-pin connector back to the VC's and other engine sensors. This truck is on the road a lot for work so I can't afford to get caught on the road with this sort of electrical problem.
Are there any sources for these harnesses other than the dealership? I just emailed Clay with my VIN to see what he can do. Other ideas?

Thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 09:01 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
most here suggest OEM,theres been complaints with aftermarkets,like Dorman.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:29 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Clay is your best bet. You can order them from his website and get the order placed so he can ship it tomorrow morning.

Riffraff Diesel: Ford Under Valve Cover Harness 99-03

I agree, stay away from aftermarket, especially Dorman. I'm sure not everything they churn out is bad, but a lot of it seems to be.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:28 PM
lhud
Elder User
Well I guess you can put a fork in it - it's done. I decided to install a new 'main engine harness' from the 42-pin connector back towards the valve cover connectors and all the sensors in that loop. As I mentioned the wiring from the passenger side valve cover connector back approx. 12" was so brittle the insulation virtually falls off the wires when touched. Since I would have to disassemble the harness wires from the passenger side back over to the 42-pin connector to verify where I could splice into solid wires I decided to go with a new harness. It is not worth the worry when I'm on the road wandering if I have a 'hicup' it might be in that old harness.
I did complete the UVCH R&R along with new GP's - that went quite well.
After I install the new harness I hope to tackle the R&R of the LPOP with a Melling.

Thanks again,

Old 10-15-2013, 10:23 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by lhud
Well I guess you can put a fork in it - it's done. I decided to install a new 'main engine harness' from the 42-pin connector back towards the valve cover connectors and all the sensors in that loop.
Mind if I ask how much the harness cost?

Did you get OEM?

Stewart

Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 AM
lhud
Elder User
Stewart,

Yes I did get OEM - I couldn't find them after market and if so, I would be somewhat skiddish of them.
They list for approx. $1200 but I had some help from a local shop friend and a small discount from where I work which ended up costing me $750 + taxes. Yes it hits the wallet pretty hard but I'm on the road a fair amount with this truck and I try to prevent any break downs on the road by using OEM if it is a critical item. After all, this truck has some mileage and years on it and certainly has served me well so I really can't complain. It's due to arrive tomorrow and hope to have it in by that afternoon.

Oh well,

Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by lhud
Yes I did get OEM - I couldn't find them after market and if so, I would be somewhat skiddish of them.
I would be too.

I was just curious about the cost because I knew they were expensive.

Stewart

Old 10-19-2013, 04:08 PM
lhud
Elder User
Thought I would wrap this thread up as this afternoon I finished this project - new main engine wiring harness, both UVCH gaskets, new GP's and new ICP regulator. It started up quickly but had a small romp likely due to some air from the new ICP regulator. After several starts/runs at idle it smoothed out just like norm.
The only complaint is with the VC connectors on the main OEM harness as they are virtually identical to the UVCH connectors that require the 50 cent mod. The original connectors were very different which snapped in and held better. I fixed these quickly with the 50 cent mod as well. The original harness was made in Brazil for International/Navistar, but the OEM replacement was made in Mexico. The new harness is very stiff and requires some patience when snaking it around to all the sensors. That sensor on the front of the turbo is a bugger to get to but removing the air cooler yoke makes it easy.
Now I am gonna figure out how much $$$$ I saved in labor on this project - I'm sure it's more than a "few" dollars.

Thanks again for this site as it has enabled me to take a shot at doing these repairs, knowing I have a place to ask questions with a high expectation for quality answers from some experts and those with the personal experience.

Later

Old 10-19-2013, 06:58 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
What was the part number for the harness?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:43 PM
lhud
Elder User
Smile

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
What was the part number for the harness?
The Ford part number is F81Z12B637FA and is made in Mexico while the original harness by International/Navistar had a part number of 1837761C91 on the harness and was made in Brazil.
I would shop around the internet as USAFilter Store had it in stock for $493.76 + S/H. I jumped the gun and paid the price.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM
lhud
Elder User
David,

A fellow FTE member/friend made a good observation regarding my previous post - you should first check the existing wiring harness for a tag and is typically located just behind the alternator. The numbers may appear to be worn out but when you carefully remove the tape the part numbers are imprinted twice on the label.
Most parts folks (especially Ford) will ask for your VIN to assure the correct part for your vehicle.
I would also recommend choosing the International/Navistar part over the Ford OEM if possible for reasons mentioned in my post #8. I will try to post some pics in my profile showing the two different connector designs which may help.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 06:22 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Thanks! That's even more good info. My harness is fine, just thought it would be good to have the numbers recorded on the thread while they were handy.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:10 PM
stretch180
New User
hey i have a 2000 f350 and i need a wiring harness and can't find one

Old 04-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by stretch180
hey i have a 2000 f350 and i need a wiring harness and can't find one
I have one from an '03 E-450 van if it's compatible. I did cut one large wire but it can be spliced back together easy enough.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:04 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These pop up for sale on ebay occasionally but new are anywhere from $500-600 it looks like. Based on the experience I have had with used harnesses unless you are able to see them I wouldn't buy it.

Quick Reply: WIRING HARNESS: '02, 7.3, 42-PIN BACK TO VC's