Bed Covers, Tonneau covers, Toppers/Canopies & Bed liners Tonneau cover, caps, racks, canopies, shells, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BakFlip F1 - Faded and dull after 20 months

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BakFlip F1 - Faded and dull after 20 months

Hi everyone,

I got a BakFlip F1 in Feb 2012. I'm happy with the function of cover, it doesn't leak, and never had a problem out of it. Lately, all the exterior composite panels are dull, almost like oxidation. It looks like the finish is deteriorating. I've washed it and washed it but it has lost the shiny luster that it had when it was new.

Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks

Old 10-14-2013, 09:18 PM
parnass
Senior User
Originally Posted by Champ198
Hi everyone,

I got a BakFlip F1 in Feb 2012. I'm happy with the function of cover, it doesn't leak, and never had a problem out of it. Lately, all the exterior composite panels are dull, almost like oxidation. It looks like the finish is deteriorating. ....
Oh, man! I just installed a BakFlip F1 last month and am sorry to hear about your panels losing luster.

My F250 is garage kept most of the time. Does your truck stay outdoors 24 hours/day?

Old 10-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Yes, my truck stays out all the time. BAK has a 36 mth warranty against fading so I will contact them. I will post my experience.

Other than the fading, I'm loving the top. It works.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Warranty Claim

I have just emailed BAK Industries evidence of purchase from an authorized dealer and have sent photos. I will update everyone of the outcome.

to recap, the cover has faded and I can see the fibers in the composite material. Also, one of the photos below shows where I flipped up the tie down to reveal a glossy finish underneath that the entire cover used to look like.

Thanks!
DH

Old 01-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Champ198
Elder User
I got an email from them wanting to know what I used to wax the cover with. Surely, they won't blame the customer for a defective product??

I'm not feeling a positive vibe here. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:02 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Update?

Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
Champ198
Elder User
They are sending a new cover. I will leave it at that.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Update: New Cover Arrived

I received the replacement cover today.

I placed the old cover and new cover side by side to compare the two.

I observed that the original cover was not faded, it was deteriorated. The finish has literally dissolved over the past two years exposing individual fibers in the composite material on the old cover.

If I had to do it over again, I would have opted for the painted aluminum finish that will not deteriorate like this F1.

Comparison of two year old cover and new cover.

Up close side by side.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Well, it's raining and I thought I'd check to see how the new cover was withstanding the light rain. I found that the cover was leaking (water dripping into the bed) at the first fold/joint closet to the tailgate. Water was dripping from various points all the way across the under side of the cover from where the metal channel and the panel comes together at the first fold. Keep in mind, this was "light" rain, not a deluge. There were no leaks around the tailgate area though. The clear tube rail drains at the head of the truck bed were working fine and I could see water dripping down through them.

This is my third F1 cover. The first cover was purchased new in Dec 2011 and leaked badly. Petitioning Julian Maimin directly (owner of BAK industries) resulted in a replacement cover that arrived in Jan 2012 or Feb 2012. It did not leak; however, over time, the exterior composite panels dissolved. The warranty replacement cover that arrived on Friday leaks. I'd rather have a cover that looks like crap over one that looks new but leaks all over your gear. I duck hunt and carry my guns, ammo, waders and overnight bags in the bed under the cover so having a cover that doesn't leak across the top is important.

This makes 3 out of 3 F1 covers with defects. I used to sing the praises of this F1 cover and I know a few guys that bought one after seeing mine. I guess I got my money's worth out of the cover and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so far 99% leak free,cant judge elements though its parked inside shop,& used to pull boat or camping part time.sure like the function.Sorry you had bad luck.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
That certainly is a lot of fading!

I just purchased about 3 weeks ago a BAK Flip Fibermax, which was leaking from at least 3 hinges during a light rain as well. I registered my cover on their site as soon as I received it.

3 days after receiving and installing it, I called them. I sent them pictures of the leaking hinges, and a copy of the purchase order. It took them about 5 business days to get back to me. And they sent me a new cover. They said that it was an old Lot Number that they had issues with leaking.

I received the replacement in about 3 days. They gave me 2 days to install it because BAK Industries had pre-arranged a FedEx pickup at my home. Which I did not realize they had done. I simply had some free time, which is rare, to install it. Good thing I did. The replacement cover is leak free, as it rained and snowed the next day. I am happy with their customer service.

Moral of the story, buy their covers from an Authorized Dealer, keep your purchase order, do not buy it from Amazon or they will not honor the warranty, install the replacement as soon as you get it, and register your cover as soon as you get it on their website. This should ensure they will honor the 3 year warranty as they claim.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Apparently, I'm not the only one having issues. From another site: Beware of BakFlip by Bak Industries - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Shogunles
Senior User
Apparently, I'm not the only one having issues. From another site: Beware of BakFlip by Bak Industries - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans
Just curious, is your truck parked in the sun for most of the day?
I just installed the Fibermax model. So I am just concerned now because when researching this cover, I did not come across any reviews where the color faded as bad as your or at all for that matter. Perhaps it is because it is a different model cover than yours.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:45 AM
Champ198
Elder User
My truck sits in the Tennessee sun every day. I researched the details on the F1 and no where on the BAK website do I see where the FRP composite cover is designed to withstand UV. In fact, they encourage you to use a UV protectant.

Most of us assume that an automotive accessory like a bed cover, fiberglass running board, fiberglass camper shells, etc. is going to be made to survive the same conditions that our trucks live in day after day.

Based on what I'm reading from BAK, I find it odd that an automotive accessory designed to be used on our trucks cannot withstand off-the-shelf "safe for all finishes" cleaning agents and the covers may not withstand typical environmental conditions like prolonged UV exposure, acid rain, road salt/ice dissolving chemicals, drive-through automatic car washes, and other things like wax that our vehicles finishes easily survive.

If I replace this cover, it will be an all aluminum panel cover. I saw a guy at the local body shop that has had a Bakflip for many years. It is all aluminum. His cover looks as good as new.

From BAK's website:
"Maintenance: Wash normally with soap and water / 3M formula 303 UV protection. Never use any type of Wax or products that contains wax on your cover. "

Soap? Define what that means? Is this Dove, Zest, Dawn, Tide, what?? Wax? What chemicals or formulations cause the damage ? Carnuba? Synthetic? There are no specifics. What exactly is safe? We need brands!! Has BAK tested specific waxes or chemicals? If so, I'd like to see the results.

I believe BAK is looking for an "out" to dismiss fading claims as I believe their product cannot withstand continuous UV exposure which deteriorates and breaks down the chemical compounds that make up the textured finish. Hopefully, in the last 20 months the product has changed.

If you'll notice in my photos, you will see a rusted bungee cord attachment ring. Where I've flipped up the ring, you can see the original glossy black finish that the entire cover used to have. Had I used harsh chemicals on the cover as BAK alluded, there would not have been a glossy area under the ring. This is clear evidence that the covers cannot withstand long term exposure to UV and environmental conditions.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Shogunles
Senior User
My truck sits in the Tennessee sun every day. I researched the details on the F1 and no where on the BAK website do I see where the FRP composite cover is designed to withstand UV. In fact, they encourage you to use a UV protectant.

Most of us assume that an automotive accessory like a bed cover, fiberglass running board, fiberglass camper shells, etc. is going to be made to survive the same conditions that our trucks live in day after day.

Based on what I'm reading from BAK, I find it odd that an automotive accessory designed to be used on our trucks cannot withstand off-the-shelf "safe for all finishes" cleaning agents and the covers may not withstand typical environmental conditions like prolonged UV exposure, acid rain, road salt/ice dissolving chemicals, drive-through automatic car washes, and other things like wax that our vehicles finishes easily survive.

If I replace this cover, it will be an all aluminum panel cover. I saw a guy at the local body shop that has had a Bakflip for many years. It is all aluminum. His cover looks as good as new.

From BAK's website:
"Maintenance: Wash normally with soap and water / 3M formula 303 UV protection. Never use any type of Wax or products that contains wax on your cover. "

Soap? Define what that means? Is this Dove, Zest, Dawn, Tide, what?? Wax? What chemicals or formulations cause the damage ? Carnuba? Synthetic? There are no specifics. What exactly is safe? We need brands!! Has BAK tested specific waxes or chemicals? If so, I'd like to see the results.

I believe BAK is looking for an "out" to dismiss fading claims as I believe their product cannot withstand continuous UV exposure which deteriorates and breaks down the chemical compounds that make up the textured finish. Hopefully, in the last 20 months the product has changed.

If you'll notice in my photos, you will see a rusted bungee cord attachment ring. Where I've flipped up the ring, you can see the original glossy black finish that the entire cover used to have. Had I used harsh chemicals on the cover as BAK alluded, there would not have been a glossy area under the ring. This is clear evidence that the covers cannot withstand long term exposure to UV and environmental conditions.
Completely agree with you. This product should be able to withstand all "of the above." For it to fade in that way in such a sort period of time, or any time for that matter is not acceptable!

Quick Reply: BakFlip F1 - Faded and dull after 20 months