1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Creating "aged" paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't you get any sand storms there you could leave it in , then park it on the coast for about a year.____. No , i can't help but some of the real suggestions are interesting .__

Old 10-14-2013, 02:29 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
GB, wow that tractor grille looks perfect! Well done!

Lately I have been playing around more with rattle can paints, I have come up with some interesting results. I did the back half of my COE cab this way. It still needs a little more work though.....too shiny.

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Nice! Is there some rustoleum 'hunter green satin' involved? I forgot to mention that I have used corn starch as a flatting agent in oil based paints. An old painter told me they used to do it all the time. It does a good job when the paint you have isn't flat enough.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:02 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My approach is to take 14 years to complete the project.....so paint the hood now and let it sit out in the weather and sun for a few years!!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I've also heard of using cardboard to "sand" down the finish.
^ I recently did this to a 64 Chevy project of mine and it actually turned out GREAT! It flattened out the paint very nicely

Old 10-14-2013, 06:18 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Nice! Is there some rustoleum 'hunter green satin' involved? I forgot to mention that I have used corn starch as a flatting agent in oil based paints. An old painter told me they used to do it all the time. It does a good job when the paint you have isn't flat enough.
Yup. Flat hunter green with some black and white fogged over it to "kill" the green. It too dark now though....may try the cardboard trick too.

Paint co's use talc as a flattener, but cornstarch would work fine.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Something else we did to a buddy's old ford was spray it in primer and shoot it with the final color. Then we run over that with a fine sandpaper to lightly expose the primer in places. I guess the sky is the limit

Old 10-14-2013, 06:44 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Gonna try the cardboard trick on my hunter green after I finish my beer.....

Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gonna try the cardboard trick on my hunter green after I finish my beer.....
Please report back to us with your findings. Before and after pictures would be great.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Before going through all this and ending with a beat up looking truck I'd just spray a nice shiny coat of paint on and make it look nice.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
I knew we'd eventually get this response. Some of us feel kind of funny when we get new boots or new jeans or a jacket and they just look too 'new'. We feel better when they get broken in, and never mind that it doesnt matter if we get a grease stain or paint splatter on our clothes. We just sort of blend in to our environment. When was the last time somebody went out and bought a pack of Rit Dye and dyed their blue jeans back to original color? I know that trucks aren't clothes, and it might be a poor analogy, but maybe it helps. For my '59, I don't want to make it something it isn't, I just want to fix certain parts of it, like the extra holes in the doors from past mirrors, or some minor door bottom rust without having to do a complete 'frame off' on it. It is without a doubt way easier. Much of what i do is with a brush, and if I get high centered on a stump or something, I can just pound it out and mop on a little more paint. Ok, enough rant, I still have some meadow green pics to post......

Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Before going through all this and ending with a beat up looking truck I'd just spray a nice shiny coat of paint on and make it look nice.
Normally i agree with you, especially being a painter. But simple paint jobs tend to snowball into a much bigger project. Sometimes adding years to the build. I don't regret finishing my truck to shiny, but the time involved was just too much to want to do it again.
I'd much rather be driving it than sanding on it. JMO

Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
My 'aged' meadow green. The cowl has a patch about 10" x6" that I brushed on a couple months ago so I buffed it out with cardboard. Took on a mild gloss that closely resembles the old original . I painted the bed sides back then also and they look pretty dull. I will finish the bed when I get a lazy sunny day, and do some experimental buffing. Remember, the bed sides on old trucks stay relatively flat, as does the top of the roof and hood. One of the keys as to why spraying clear over original patina, often falls short of it's goal. Same satin patina over all surfaces. Ok, off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Attached Images     
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I knew we'd eventually get this response. Some of us feel kind of funny when we get new boots or new jeans or a jacket and they just look too 'new'. We feel better when they get broken in, and never mind that it doesnt matter if we get a grease stain or paint splatter on our clothes. We just sort of blend in to our environment. When was the last time somebody went out and bought a pack of Rit Dye and dyed their blue jeans back to original color? I know that trucks aren't clothes, and it might be a poor analogy, but maybe it helps. For my '59, I don't want to make it something it isn't, I just want to fix certain parts of it, like the extra holes in the doors from past mirrors, or some minor door bottom rust without having to do a complete 'frame off' on it. It is without a doubt way easier. Much of what i do is with a brush, and if I get high centered on a stump or something, I can just pound it out and mop on a little more paint. Ok, enough rant, I still have some meadow green pics to post......
Originally Posted by tinman52
Normally i agree with you, especially being a painter. But simple paint jobs tend to snowball into a much bigger project. Sometimes adding years to the build. I don't regret finishing my truck to shiny, but the time involved was just too much to want to do it again.
I'd much rather be driving it than sanding on it. JMO

The clothing analogy is perfect for me. When my jeans get old and tattered I go out and buy a brand new pair of jeans that are dark blue and stiff for $30. I won't ever buy a "new" faded, holey pair for $75, I have already have a few of those on my shelf that I bought new 5 years ago that's why I am replacing them. Not to hammer on your statement or opinion but by making the paint look beat up and worn you are making it look like something it isn't. If your truck is like any other tool in your tool box and it gets dinged I would do whatever it took to preserve it but wouldn't go out of my way to make it appear old on purpose. Going through all these procedures to make something look old, to me is a waste of time. Trying to get the "correct" look seems like it would take almost as much time as if the truck would be quickly sanded down and hosed down with a gallon of hardware store paint. I've seen a lot of driveway paint jobs that look pretty decent and even the worse, IMO, look better than a vehicle with sun bleached paint and patches of rust.

I like shiny paint. I just think the "patina" look is a fad, a fad that might have been propagated by the rising cost of materials to do a decent paint job and all the goofy car shows that promote it. On my present project I doubt if I can paint it myself for under $1000 just in material but if it was going to be a strictly a daily hauler I could have it painted in a weekend for around $200.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bobj49f2

I like shiny paint. I just think the "patina" look is a fad, a fad that might have been propagated by the rising cost of materials to do a decent paint job and all the goofy car shows that promote it. On my present project I doubt if I can paint it myself for under $1000 just in material but if it was going to be a strictly a daily hauler I could have it painted in a weekend for around $200.
I do not agree that its a fad.. its just as much of a style as pretty new paint.. fads are bellbottom jeans or iphones.. the only cars I have ever owned that were shiny have been all my newer modern cars.. and I have 6 older projects! I can go to world of wheels and see 8000$ paint job after 8000$ paint job all day but I know those are trailer queens..

hell, if I paid even 2000$ for a "decent" paint job I wouldn't want to use it and know I couldn't enjoy it.. I know all this is personal preferance but I'm not worried about thrashing my chevelle in a burnout or scuffing up my 66 f100 in a mud hole because they already look 'broken in'.. again personal opinion here but I would rather have thousands extra in a daily drivers drive train than paint.. A faded or flat color paint job (not 3 different colors) gets just as Much attention and good wholesome conversation in my parts as anything else on a good ol classic

Quick Reply: Creating "aged" paint