Then my spare tire blew out the back window

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 08:29 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Then my spare tire blew out the back window

Yup, my spare trashed a part of the rear window on my fiver. Since we got it home I have been going over things, caulking packing wheel bearings, check tire pressures. One of the things I found was a spare with no air in it. I knew the previous owner had done nothing to it in the last six year and I debated just tossing the tire, but decided since the tread looked good and it was not cracked to just air it up.

Then yesterday, while I was packing wheel bearings I heard a horrific blast like someone had fired a shotgun at the rear of the camper and glass can raining down. As it turned out the spare was sitting in the sun mounted on the bumper and it blew so violently the tread hit the partially opened window immediately above it breaking the aluminum frame on a section of window. Getting the glass replaced is nothing, but repairing the frame is going to take some doing.

The window is 72" x 40" and I had hopes of just picking up a replacement on eBay, but not luck there and an entire new window is, now get this, $1,520.00 plus shipping.

So today I tire shop and work on the frame.

Steve

Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Ah man, that's terrible bad luck.

I've only had one tire blow out while sitting, but luckily it didn't damage anything. It did scare the crap out of me when it went, as it was sitting against the wall right outside my shop door.

Glad no one was hurt.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:21 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
Your comp insurance should pay a claim for that......

Old 10-12-2013, 02:09 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
While towing about three years ago, I had a trailer tire's "cap" come off suddenly-enough for it to grab the trailing edge of the fender. This ripped the fender completely off the side of the trailer, which was mounted simply with sheet-metal screws (damn Carson trailer). That threw the fender forward into the truck's shell rear window, a Snug-Top. The tire remained completely and properly inflated. Since we were already seventy miles into a tightly-scheduled cross-country, we diverted to the nearest Home Depot for Masonite, screws, duct tape and a cheap tarp. Parking lot repairs, and a stop at a tire shop got us on the road with only about two hours delay.

Upon return home a couple of weeks later, I was shocked to find that rear window was over $550.

Specialized glass: Yup, it ain't cheap!

You KNOW your trailer manufacturer didn't spend anywhere near that amount with his window supplier.

Elmer Hehr would be proud to know his stuff is so well-thought-of by others......

BTW, those fenders are now Grade-8 bolted to three-inch heavy steel channels that run completely across the under-side of the trailer that are welded to the frame!

Pop

Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by SpringerPop
While towing about three years ago, I had a trailer tire's "cap" come off suddenly-enough for it to grab the trailing edge of the fender. This ripped the fender completely off the side of the trailer, which was mounted simply with sheet-metal screws (damn Carson trailer). That threw the fender forward into the truck's shell rear window, a Snug-Top. The tire remained completely and properly inflated. Since we were already seventy miles into a tightly-scheduled cross-country, we diverted to the nearest Home Depot for Masonite, screws, duct tape and a cheap tarp. Parking lot repairs, and a stop at a tire shop got us on the road with only about two hours delay.

Upon return home a couple of weeks later, I was shocked to find that rear window was over $550.

Specialized glass: Yup, it ain't cheap!

You KNOW your trailer manufacturer didn't spend anywhere near that amount with his window supplier.

Elmer Hehr would be proud to know his stuff is so well-thought-of by others......

BTW, those fenders are now Grade-8 bolted to three-inch heavy steel channels that run completely across the under-side of the trailer that are welded to the frame!

Pop
As I fabricate and fantasize one of my projects is blow-out shields over the tires so the floor doesn't get trashed, not that trailer tires ever blow out! LOL

Steve

Old 10-12-2013, 10:16 PM
dougbrown
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear man. Good luck on the window. I had my spare truck tire in my yard. It way leaning on the block of my house just under the siding. One of the 100* days as had it blew. We found chunks of siding in my neighbors yard behind his house. In my pool. And impaled to the front of my shed I work out of. Could only imagine what would I have looked like if the doors where open and I was working 5 feet from it.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:50 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
As I fabricate and fantasize one of my projects is blow-out shields over the tires so the floor doesn't get trashed, not that trailer tires ever blow out!
Forgot to mention that the original aluminum fender were replaced by identical-dimensioned heavy-gauge steel replacements. I found Carson's supplier, and they stamp them from both materials.

I have yet to blow another tire since the retrofit, so I don't know if they will act as a containment system. I just put Maxxis 8008 load-range D tires on it, and have them at 65 psi, so we'll see........

Pop

Old 10-13-2013, 07:25 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
wow, who would of thought that would blow.

glad no one was hurt.

My tires will be two years old this time next year. It maybe time for replacements.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:57 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Since this happened I have heard a number of reports from folks of the same thing! Yikes!

Steve

Old 10-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard of a tire blowing out, just sitting, in a long time. Lucky no one was hurt....

Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If that doesn't beat all!!

BUT, it does remind me that the GY Marathon under my 5er is a 2005 vintage and due to fail like most Marathons when you least expect, will need to find a LT replacement to match the General's on thetrailer.

That window - a couple folks on my trailer's dedicated web site have found Hehr replacements at couple of the salvage dealers near Elkhart and one was able find a local glass shop that was able to replace the back window with a similar colored smoked piece of tempered glass for a lot less.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Irelands child
If that doesn't beat all!!

BUT, it does remind me that the GY Marathon under my 5er is a 2005 vintage and due to fail like most Marathons when you least expect, will need to find a LT replacement to match the General's on thetrailer.

That window - a couple folks on my trailer's dedicated web site have found Hehr replacements at couple of the salvage dealers near Elkhart and one was able find a local glass shop that was able to replace the back window with a similar colored smoked piece of tempered glass for a lot less.
Thanks, I have a local glass company that does all my glass replacement and is very reasonable. I will find a way to fix the frame.

Steve

Old 10-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steve,
I am sure you are capable of making the fender well protectors, but here is a link from another forum that has lots of pics of it being put in/on.

My RV Talk

You may have to register to view everything, tho. Its a good info site on many makes of trailers--- MyRVTalk.com

Joe