Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cutting the "door open" wires

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Cutting the "door open" wires

Awhile back while adding replacement power door lock actuators, I unintentionally cut the wires that tells the truck when the door is open.

And I kinda like it!

After turning off the truck, the power windows stay active even after opening a door. (They timeout after about 5 mins).

The overhead light does not come on when I open the door. (If I want the light on I just press unlock on the remote FOB and they turn on, or I manually turn on the map lights.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did that in 2001 when I bought the truck, and the seatbelt chime. Never missed them.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:09 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
I think you just half-answered a question I have on an electrical issue I have on the 2002 I recently got. After I remove the key, both the radio and power windows remain active for a few minutes too. Could this just be that a wire was cut at some stage? I was thinking the radio wasn't wired on the proper AUX key position but it definitely goes off after a while.
Also, is there a seatbelt dinger fuse you can remove, or do you have to cut a wire for that? I guess I could say I drive a lot on private property with no belt, but that would just be a lie.
I'd really like to disarm that fricken' dinger though.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you don't have to cut anything "in you'r truck," you can go down to the local junkyard and cut out the old seatbelt clicker and click it into your truck. It's kinda like tricking your truck into thinking that the seat belt is on.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:39 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pwstroker69
Also, is there a seatbelt dinger fuse you can remove, or do you have to cut a wire for that? I guess I could say I drive a lot on private property with no belt, but that would just be a lie.
So you don't have to cut anything "in you'r truck," you can go down to the local junkyard and cut out the old seatbelt clicker and click it into your truck. It's kinda like tricking your truck into thinking that the seat belt is on.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:17 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by pwstroker69
I think you just half-answered a question I have on an electrical issue I have on the 2002 I recently got. After I remove the key, both the radio and power windows remain active for a few minutes too. Could this just be that a wire was cut at some stage? I was thinking the radio wasn't wired on the proper AUX key position but it definitely goes off after a while.
power windows and radio will stay on for around 10 minutes after key off unless you open a door. this is the way the trucks were designed.
as for the seat belt chime, i just unplugged the seat belt sensor wires under the seat.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Yeah I just unplugged my seatbelt wires and black taped the connectors to keep junk from getting in them... back in 2001. Probably my first "mod"

Old 10-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can turn off the seatbelt chime in programming. I pulled up the 2002 manual, 4th printing, and the procedure is on page 138. Its called the beltminder...

Old 10-13-2013, 06:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Originally Posted by Stebs
you can turn off the seatbelt chime in programming. I pulled up the 2002 manual, 4th printing, and the procedure is on page 138. Its called the beltminder...
yes you can, but you have to do it every time you start the truck. unplug the weight sensor and you never have to mess with it again.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
kawcrasher
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
yes you can, but you have to do it every time you start the truck. unplug the weight sensor and you never have to mess with it again.
Nope, once you go through the programing to turn it off, it is off until you turn it back on.

To turn it for just one cycle just press the belt release button.

Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i tried it on my 02 3 times when i first got it before unplugging the wire. every time i turned the key off it reset to on.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:21 AM
kawcrasher
Elder User
It has worked on a 2000 SC, 2001 SC, and 2002 CC that I tried it on. I haven't tried on the 01 CC yet and can't remember if it worked on the 99 SC. It is a pain to get it right, though.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:09 AM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Thanks for the responses guys, and sorry for the delay in replying. So, I have electrically operated seats with seat warmers. I really don't EVER want the seat warmers or seat belt chime, but want the electric adjust to work, so is there one plug for each, or will I need to unplug specific wires? Anyone know, or have a wiring diagram handy?

Thanks again,

Old 11-11-2013, 01:24 PM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by scotttahoe

I did that on the wifes Windstar when I drive it! On BigRed I just hit the belt unlock button and it shuts off!!

Smokie

Old 11-11-2013, 04:58 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
I'm telling you man, the easiest thing to do is go down to the local junkyard cut the strap pull the seat belt clicker off the junkyard truck and plug it into your seat. That way you are not cutting any wires and can easily go back to factory if you decide to sale it. What you are doing is tricking the truck into thinking the seat belt is on without disturbing any wires. You can easily un-click it and put on your factory seat belt with the strap when you want to. Does this make sense?

Quick Reply: Cutting the "door open" wires