6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Shuddering at 50-60mph. 2013 F350

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Naked squirrel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shuddering at 50-60mph. 2013 F350

My truck shudders bad between 50 and 60 mph. I have about 7,000 miles on my 2013 F350 diesel. 4x4, single rear wheel automatic. My truck has had this issue since I drove it off the lot. I replaced the tires and wheels with after market 20 inch wheels and toyo mud terrain tires, added a leveling kit and installed a K&N intake at 2000 miles. When driving between 50 and 60 mph with a steady pedal my truck begins to shudder. You can hear the noise coming from the intake, which is not the problem. The boost is registering almost no boost what so ever. The problem mainly occurs in 6th gear with no load or a light load. The entire trucks shakes. Since I put more miles on my truck each day the problem seems to be getting worse. Not to mention my mpg has drop since I first got the truck from 18-20 to an astonishing 14-15. I took it to the dealer the other day to let them figure it out. They put stock wheels,tires,intake back on the truck for testing. They determined that the shuddering happens between 1400-1700 rpms. They told me they couldn't find anything wrong with the truck and said it was my wheels. They mentioned that with the stock stuff on it was less noticeable. They also said that with stock wheels and tires it went away. Which I know is crap cause I had stock on the truck for 2,000 miles if not more. Now this is a given for anyone who puts mud terrain or all terrain tires on their truck, MPG will suffer some and there will be noise and vibration. However, this is more than a vibration from tires. I have only owned trucks all my life with bigger tires and wheels on them. I walked out of the dealership having to pay them money because they said it was due to my wheels. My wheels are 0.4 inches off from stock and my tires are the exact same height as stock just wider. Knowing a decent amount of mechanics and how to put my pants on each morning, I was not satisfied with their conclusion. I mentioned if it was my wheels and tires why wouldn't it do it all the time. It's not like I replace my wheels when I'm driving down the road. I believe that they couldn't figure it out so they said it was my wheels and tires to charge me for the time. Just yesterday I was driving on a long trip and it was shuddering, then the cleaning exhaust filter notification came on and the shuddering stopped. I noticed this and tried to make it shudder, couldn't do it. This reinforced my theory that the dealership is less than knowledgable. I really hope someone else can help me figure this out so I can stop shelling out money to have a logical answer.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:49 PM
CornTruckDriver
Posting Guru

They said it happened at so many RPMs. Does it do it in park at those RPMs? Mine has done that in high gear. Take it down a gear and see if it goes away. I think its the programing trying to max fuel mileage keeping it in its super overdrive with your light foot to long before downshifting. Remember, these things adapt to your driving. I don't know if they have a lock up converter also. When mine did it I stuck my foot in it some more and it went away. They are trying to get the RPMs down as far as possible, they even said so in a commercial. Just a thought but it worked for me.

Are you lifted? If I remember into a previous life you start to get vibrations over 3* angle in U joints. You may not notice this at slow speeds but at higher speeds the harmonics start to build up and you feel vibration. I think some here get it from weight on the week rear springs meant for ride comfort. The pinion to driveshaft angle gets to great and the truck shudders on take off. That's the one thing that has improved but they could have more helper springs to allow it not to sag. In 1970 you would swear the axels were welded to the frame with no springs at all. A good stiff ride.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:37 AM
backbeat
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Naked squirrel
Just yesterday I was driving on a long trip and it was shuddering, then the cleaning exhaust filter notification came on and the shuddering stopped. I noticed this and tried to make it shudder, couldn't do it.
I must say that I'm both disturbed and intrigued by all the vibration and suspension bounce issues, with the Super Duties. Given all of these issues, I'm committed to an extended test drive of a new truck before handing them any cash.

At any rate, NS, this last comment of yours is very interesting. It seems positive that you found this condition where the shuddering goes away, and certainly it would seem to have nothing at all to do with tires and suspension. Where do you plan to go from here?

Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My truck shudders bad between 50 and 60 mph...
Hi Naked squirrel,

I responded to your post on another thread, but I wanted to make sure to reach out to you here as well. Send me a PM with your information (name, phone number, VIN, mileage, servicing dealership) so I can look into this and see how to best help.

Crystal

Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Naked squirrel
New User
Originally Posted by CornTruckDriver
They said it happened at so many RPMs. Does it do it in park at those RPMs? Mine has done that in high gear. Take it down a gear and see if it goes away. I think its the programing trying to max fuel mileage keeping it in its super overdrive with your light foot to long before downshifting. Remember, these things adapt to your driving. I don't know if they have a lock up converter also. When mine did it I stuck my foot in it some more and it went away. They are trying to get the RPMs down as far as possible, they even said so in a commercial. Just a thought but it worked for me.

Are you lifted? If I remember into a previous life you start to get vibrations over 3* angle in U joints. You may not notice this at slow speeds but at higher speeds the harmonics start to build up and you feel vibration. I think some here get it from weight on the week rear springs meant for ride comfort. The pinion to driveshaft angle gets to great and the truck shudders on take off. That's the one thing that has improved but they could have more helper springs to allow it not to sag. In 1970 you would swear the axels were welded to the frame with no springs at all. A good stiff ride.

My truck is not really lifted, just a leveling kit in the front. I normally drive in 5th gear manually to prevent this from happening.

I am ok with vibration but shaking the entire truck is unexceptable.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Naked squirrel
New User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Naked squirrel,

I responded to your post on another thread, but I wanted to make sure to reach out to you here as well. Send me a PM with your information (name, phone number, VIN, mileage, servicing dealership) so I can look into this and see how to best help.

Crystal

Crystal,

Apparently I do not have access to send a PM yet. could you send me one that i could reply to?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Crystal,

Apparently I do not have access to send a PM yet. could you send me one that i could reply to?
need 10 posts.. so add a few more!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crystal,

Hi Naked squirrel,

If you don't have permission to send a PM, you won't be able to receive a PM, either. Don't worry, though; my colleagues at the Customer Relationship Center can offer you the same assistance. Just give them a call at 1-800-392-3673.

Crystal

Old 10-08-2013, 01:59 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
If it happens during regen, it sounds like this is the applicable TSB for that. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-05-09.pdf

That said, its best to take it to your dealership to diagnose this is the issue, and for them to address it.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Naked squirrel
New User
Originally Posted by BigF350
If it happens during regen, it sounds like this is the applicable TSB for that. http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pu...sb13-05-09.pdf

That said, its best to take it to your dealership to diagnose this is the issue, and for them to address it.
The regen process actually makes it stop shuddering. It normally shudders while not in regen

Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Weird! I've edited your account so you can PM Crystal without getting 10 posts. I suggest contacting her, it sounds like something that you might need to get Ford Engineering involved in.

Does it happen in 5th gear at the same rpms? Or is it only in 6th gear at those rpms?

Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Naked squirrel
New User
I have been able to reproduce it in 5th gear but rarely. It normally just happens in 6th. Thanks for the edit. The dealership said they got it to reproduce in every gear however since I drive the truck daily and have never had the issue except in 6th. I tried it and had no success. I believe what they were saying they felt was from my mud terrain tires. Not the same issue. But I only drive the thing daily and don't know.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:05 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
It sounds like an engine/electrical issue then.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Naked squirrel
New User
I really believe it's a transmission issue based on an electrical component