Sponsored by:

Question for people who have owned gas and diesel ex's

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:59 AM
mrsvegan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for people who have owned gas and diesel ex's

I am wondering what the differences are in the gas and diesel Excursions other than the big obvious one of the diesel is more durable. How many miles do people typically get out of a gas one? I have 215,000 on my diesel and it still runs like it did the day I got it at 45,000 miles. Do you guys that have the gas ones love them as much as we do our diesel's? Just curious.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sold my 2002 V10 Ex about 3 months ago with 228k, she was running great with zero issues. I just wanted to have a diesel (first one).

The power on the diesel is crazy, and the mpg's are a huge difference specially on the Highway 8mpg's difference for me.

I think a well maintained V-10 would surprise you with both durability and reliability.
I do miss just start it and go verses having to warm up the diesel. Also, the maintenance on the V10 is dirt cheap.
Overall Though I would say the diesel Ex is more fun to drive for me.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 AM
mrsvegan
Senior User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I sold my 2002 V10 Ex about 3 months ago with 228k, she was running great with zero issues. I just wanted to have a diesel (first one).

The power on the diesel is crazy, and the mpg's are a huge difference specially on the Highway 8mpg's difference for me.

I think a well maintained V-10 would surprise you with both durability and reliability.
I do miss just start it and go verses having to warm up the diesel. Also, the maintenance on the V10 is dirt cheap.
Overall Though I would say the diesel Ex is more fun to drive for me.
Great info thanks. Yeh they are so fun to drive lol. Kinda get hooked once you have one.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:39 AM
VaSheriff
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Diesel va Gas - a new look

edit - wrong thread

Old 10-03-2013, 05:06 PM
HokieHiVPI
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is a republican vs democrat type of topic here on FTE and almost every thread ends up in a urination olympics because of it.

I'll summarize:

The gassers will take their $5-7k less expensive vehicles, put 87 octane in it, forego the $100k diesel repairs and problems and come out ahead and be fine with their 8mpg.

The glowplug crowd will talk about HP, torque, tuning, 20-30mpg, towing capacity and how real trucks don't have sparkplugs.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM
mrsvegan
Senior User
Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
This is a republican vs democrat type of topic here on FTE and almost every thread ends up in a urination olympics because of it.

I'll summarize:

The gassers will take their $5-7k less expensive vehicles, put 87 octane in it, forego the $100k diesel repairs and problems and come out ahead and be fine with their 8mpg.

The glowplug crowd will talk about HP, torque, tuning, 20-30mpg, towing capacity and how real trucks don't have sparkplugs.
LOL That was hilarious man. Thank You

Old 10-03-2013, 05:47 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres my report, while not an Ex, they were both 2003 super dutys.

Old 2003 5.4, in a F250 super cab short bed 4x4- Very reliable, i owned it 3 years/put on 37k (had 70 when i sold it) and the only thing i changed were spark plugs (just to be safe) and an alternator. Cheap oil changes, cheap to maintain, but boring to drive. Granted i had 35s, but even stock tires the 3.73s gears were terrible. Truck seriously couldnt get out of its own way. Sucked down fuel too, i had to drive like a grandma everywhere i went in order to get 10-11 mpg. 14-15 highway. If it was powerful, and got bad mpg that would have been ok, or other way around. But no power and no mileage, was getting old

Now, i have an 03 6.0, crew cab long bed 4x4 - I bought a diesel because i wanted one. i wanted a diesel since i first looked at trucks. Mine was already "fixed" before i bought it, and i knew the previous owner and got a good deal on it. The power is awesome. Ive honestly never put my foot to the floor in this truck, just 3/4 throttle is crazy. Since i bought it in january, i have put on 15k miles. I did have to do an oil cooler, which i bought the truck knowing that, and an IPR. Besides that, truck has run like a top. I would not hesitate to take my truck anywhere at anytime. Yes, the oil changes are a little more, but i always shop around and buy oil when its on sale even if i dont need it right then. In the summer i buy my valvoline 15-40 oil on sale and its $12 a gallon, so $48 for oil. In the winter i buy valvoline 5-40 oil on sale at $22 a gallon. Little more pricey, but up here in CT it gets cold and my truck likes 5-40 synthetic much better. I change it every 5k. I get filters from Riffraff diesel or dieselfilters online, around $15 oil and $45 fuel. Fuel filters every 10k for $45... i still dont see why people complain about that. 45 dollars every 10k miles...pretty damn cheap IMO. I also get 14-15 mpg city with my diesel, lifted on 35s, and 17-19 highway. And i dont drive as easy as i used too.

Anyways, thats just my thought on it. I love my diesel and dont see myself going back to gas anytime soon.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsvegan
I am wondering what the differences are in the gas and diesel Excursions other than the big obvious one of the diesel is more durable. How many miles do people typically get out of a gas one? I have 215,000 on my diesel and it still runs like it did the day I got it at 45,000 miles. Do you guys that have the gas ones love them as much as we do our diesel's? Just curious.
No, we hate 'em.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you owned a diesel to compare to a gas?

Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HokieHiVPI
...and how real trucks don't have sparkplugs.
Hey now! My Lightning is a real truck (a real fast truck) and it has spark plugs!

Originally Posted by EXv10
No, we hate 'em.
That was funny, Brent.

Originally Posted by acf6
Have you owned a diesel to compare to a gas?
Now, now Miles. The question wasn't have you owned both, and do you gas guys still love your rigs as much as us diesel owners do. It was just a blanket, do you gas guys love your rigs as much as us diesel guys do.

Stewart

Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, we hate 'em.
I like your answer Brent

Old 10-03-2013, 06:44 PM
mrsvegan
Senior User
Originally Posted by acf6
Heres my report, while not an Ex, they were both 2003 super dutys.

Old 2003 5.4, in a F250 super cab short bed 4x4- Very reliable, i owned it 3 years/put on 37k (had 70 when i sold it) and the only thing i changed were spark plugs (just to be safe) and an alternator. Cheap oil changes, cheap to maintain, but boring to drive. Granted i had 35s, but even stock tires the 3.73s gears were terrible. Truck seriously couldnt get out of its own way. Sucked down fuel too, i had to drive like a grandma everywhere i went in order to get 10-11 mpg. 14-15 highway. If it was powerful, and got bad mpg that would have been ok, or other way around. But no power and no mileage, was getting old

Now, i have an 03 6.0, crew cab long bed 4x4 - I bought a diesel because i wanted one. i wanted a diesel since i first looked at trucks. Mine was already "fixed" before i bought it, and i knew the previous owner and got a good deal on it. The power is awesome. Ive honestly never put my foot to the floor in this truck, just 3/4 throttle is crazy. Since i bought it in january, i have put on 15k miles. I did have to do an oil cooler, which i bought the truck knowing that, and an IPR. Besides that, truck has run like a top. I would not hesitate to take my truck anywhere at anytime. Yes, the oil changes are a little more, but i always shop around and buy oil when its on sale even if i dont need it right then. In the summer i buy my valvoline 15-40 oil on sale and its $12 a gallon, so $48 for oil. In the winter i buy valvoline 5-40 oil on sale at $22 a gallon. Little more pricey, but up here in CT it gets cold and my truck likes 5-40 synthetic much better. I change it every 5k. I get filters from Riffraff diesel or dieselfilters online, around $15 oil and $45 fuel. Fuel filters every 10k for $45... i still dont see why people complain about that. 45 dollars every 10k miles...pretty damn cheap IMO. I also get 14-15 mpg city with my diesel, lifted on 35s, and 17-19 highway. And i dont drive as easy as i used too.

Anyways, thats just my thought on it. I love my diesel and dont see myself going back to gas anytime soon.
Thank you, That was an informative post.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:45 PM
mrsvegan
Senior User
No, we hate 'em.
lol, sorry )

Old 10-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Miles and Michael....

...working hard to poke the bear!

Stewart

Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 PM
sierra6
Senior User
I love my V-10. I expect to get 300,000 easy out of my V10. Although, I also expect to hit that mark in 18 to 24 months from now.
If you keep up with your regular maintenance, these trucks are extraordinary durable ether way you go.

Quick Reply: Question for people who have owned gas and diesel ex's