1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

It's storage, and mouse, season again

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Bob, (and others up north) -- I lived up there a long time, and there's at least 2 months of nice cool weather left. Sure, maybe a snow here and there, but nothing serious where they'd be salting. You're not seriously parking them until next May, are you?
I usually wait until the first icy cold day to park my trucks. That way I can be frozen to the bone by the end of the day. That's usually late October. I drag the trucks out as early as possible some time in April. Before that it's usually too cold and muddy.

Originally Posted by DR Smith
2 years ago we got 6 inches and everything shut down for 10 day's . no school , milk , bread , stores . offices , and the county didn't have anything to plow or sand with . In the north they would delay school for a hour . It is fun watching these southerner's drive in snow .
Delay an hour?!! Heck, 6"? We just dust the snow off the windows and hit the roads. We don't slow down until we get at least 9".

I was down in GA about 15 years ago doing an installation at a Yamaha plant 50 miles south of Atlanta. Two of the good old boy electricians came up to me and wanted me to verify something one of the plant engineers told them. The engineer was from northern MI and he told them we buy and use a special tool to scrape the ice off of our car windows. They couldn't believe we go out and buy a special tool to do this. I told them I know they got ice down there and asked what they used. The good old boy said, "Heck, we just used a Dixie cup."

Old 10-04-2013, 07:59 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
The previous owner of my '56 always used bars of Irish Spring soap. He claimed it always worked for him. He used that and Bounce dryers sheets. There is also a product at ACE Hardware stores called "Fresh Cab". It comes in a yellow box that contains 4 small burlap bags of (I think) cedar chips. I have used it in places where mice were hard to control, and it seems to work very well. The downside to "Fresh Cab" is the $14.00 cost. My wife works in an office where there is mice problems. When we had a long haired cat, she used to comb it, and put it's hair in a sandwich bag, put the bag in a corner of the office and would leave it open. No mice problems as long as they could smell the residual odor of the cat. It would last about 2 weeks. In about 2 weeks she would comb the cat, and the cycle would begin again.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:47 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by hooler1
The previous owner of my '56 always used bars of Irish Spring soap. He claimed it always worked for him. He used that and Bounce dryers sheets. There is also a product at ACE Hardware stores called "Fresh Cab". It comes in a yellow box that contains 4 small burlap bags of (I think) cedar chips. I have used it in places where mice were hard to control, and it seems to work very well. The downside to "Fresh Cab" is the $14.00 cost. My wife works in an office where there is mice problems. When we had a long haired cat, she used to comb it, and put it's hair in a sandwich bag, put the bag in a corner of the office and would leave it open. No mice problems as long as they could smell the residual odor of the cat. It would last about 2 weeks. In about 2 weeks she would comb the cat, and the cycle would begin again.
We have a cat at my shop .We do not put much food out saturday night . Monday morn , mice parts clean up !

Old 10-05-2013, 09:30 AM
WNDOPDLR
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hooler1
WOW! At that rate I have a fortune on my hands with about 500 BF of cedar lumber.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:12 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never use poison after one of my dogs ate a poisoned mouse and nearly died. I just use mouse traps. The new model plastic kind work the best. Bait with peanut butter, set them every where.
We get cold and snow here in Colorado, but it melts pretty quickly. We get to drive our F1 if there's not snow on the ground or the roads not muddy. Last year we went to dinner around Christmas with friends and drove the truck. Came out a couple of hours later to a few inches of snow on the ground. The vintage air heater works great. The stock defrost vents give you two clear strips of windshield. Healthy motor and all season tires give you wheel spin pretty much anytime you want.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 AM
E_Net_Rider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mice avoid dryer sheets because of the fragrance added. It has been found that artificial fragrance is the next highest cancer causer. Tested by those who did the work on tobacco. And you wonder why mice avoid?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:23 AM
My Old Tools
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sticky traps work great. A good snake works wonders too.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:13 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I use a 5 gallon bucket half full of antifreeze and a string tied across the top with a soda can or something similar on the string. Peanut butter on the soda can. Mice walk across the string to get the peanut butter, step on the can which rotates and drops them in the antifreeze. No mess and I dont empty it until I see mouse bodies, takes years. No smell either.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been using Bounce brand dryer sheets for awhile now and so far so good. In fact, I recently bought a car that had evidence of mice in it but since I put the Bounce sheets in it I've seen no more of them...