1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 11:54 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I do but they only have 99-04 trucks i have never seen an 05+ unfortunately. Not many SD's get totaled or junked around me..which is good i guess lol but I usually stick to Ebay because of this. The trucks that are there are usually stripped of all the most useful parts already.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:07 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
So after searching Ebay and Tousley I found that if i mix and match parts from both ill probably end up spending a total of $1100-$1200 but that's also without selling my old dash and some of the panels I would purchase have switches that i need to change out because i do not have the features like adjustable pedals etc. I may after selling everything only be $500 in the hole for the entire swap. To my surprise a lot of the switches and panels were actually cheaper on Tousley's site rather than Ebay, others were cheaper on Ebay but they were damaged. I will be getting some damaged panels because I plan to paint some of them Black so they scuffs will be sanded out anyway.

Also I never mentioned what Tousley said to me about the different frames. they said the mounting points should be different because the cabs are roughly the same so I'm hoping that all i need to do is make some brackets or drill some new holes instead. We will see though, the last piece i will get is the frame and bezel do to its size and my ability to store parts is limited...i really need to sell or get rid of my old crap that i think i can still use lol. old air intake, dash pieces, etc.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:29 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Does anyone have any pictures of the metal frame behind an 08-14 dash or can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been searching all day and the only thing i cant find is the metal frame so i can compare it to a picture of the 99-07 frame to see the differences. Once I see the differences I may start purchasing parts for the dash i found a few fairly cheap.

EDIT: I came across the differences between the two years in pdombrowicki's build thread.

Pics of 08: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-10-ex-31.html
Pics of 04: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-10-ex-36.html

I guess with some modification it will fit, the only thing that concerns me is the heater box or the big assembly (don't know the technical name) in the middle sticks out in the middle of the 08 but slightly off to the side in the 04. If i can get a look at the 08 metal dash structure i bet i could figure it out though. I have a feeling that the 08 metal frame will fir the 04 if i can rig up some mounting points or even if i could get the 08 dash to fit my 04's metal frame.
That was such a good thread I ended up reading it from page 1. WOW!!!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
That was such a good thread I ended up reading it from page 1. WOW!!!
I know! lol I did the same thing, that's what made me want to start this, i just don't want to cut out the old fire wall and replace it lol.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:33 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Ya, I don't blame you there one bit. That was a project! What I can do is keep my ears and eyes open and hope to come across something. Have a couple of friends that are friends with the owners son at ford and maybe I can get some "inside" info. Can't hurt to try.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:02 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Ya, I don't blame you there one bit. That was a project! What I can do is keep my ears and eyes open and hope to come across something. Have a couple of friends that are friends with the owners son at ford and maybe I can get some "inside" info. Can't hurt to try.
That would be nice! I use to be really good friends with the service guys and owner of the ford dealer my dad bought my truck at but they closed 5 years ago just before I got the truck.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:59 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Just wanted to throw up an update, I read elsewhere that the 08 dash and everything mounts directly to the pre 08 cabs except the duct work and wire obviously is different. I am waiting on a reply about that. I just ordered two pillar covers and grab handles to match the newer dash, and also i just got the center dash panel in today that i got off ebay. I costed my $80 and is in great shape, I plan to run the 05 manual controls because it looks like they will mount to this and they have the same shape not to mention they are plug and play. I plan to make a custom piece to fill in the gap below the A/C controls and i don't have adjustable pedals so i will remove that switch and add a main power toggle switch for my upfitters. I am going to run the 05 ones i have now and a set of 08 ones so i will have a total of 8. I am going to rewire them to be hot all the time except for when that main power switch is turned off. I also plan to paint this dash piece gloss black and do the rest of the interior charcoal. I will probably start a build thread for my truck once I am ready to do the full swap and will link it here but for now i will continue to update this thread with what i can find about mounting it to the cab etc.

Also does anyone know how to convert the line in connector to an aftermarket radio input?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
cool. can't wait to see final product

Old 10-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Jeff Watts
Elder User
Originally Posted by xmontex4
Also does anyone know how to convert the line in connector to an aftermarket radio input?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...dio-input.html

Old 10-18-2013, 08:44 AM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
Thanks Jeff, I was looking to convert the factory auxiliary port in the dash to just a regular headphone jack if possible. I have a Pioneer AVH-4400BH head unit that has just an average rear USB and audio jack. I currently ran a USB and audio jack into the center console but once i upgrade to the newer console then ill only need the USB and ill move my 08 console into my 95 and use it there.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
So far I have not herd anything back from the kid at ford (owners son) still trying though. This is going to be cool and some work when its hammer down time. Two thumbs up on this project.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Robby Nash
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to do this as well

Old 10-18-2013, 02:08 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
So far I have not herd anything back from the kid at ford (owners son) still trying though. This is going to be cool and some work when its hammer down time. Two thumbs up on this project.
No worries man, I happened to find a bunch of parts on Ebay for fairly cheap so I put offers in and everyone has been excepting my offers lol I haven't bought anything over $25 yet except the steering wheel and the dash bezel i just got. Just gotta find the charcoal paint code and find where to get it because I'm getting a couple tan parts that will need to be painted.

Originally Posted by Robby Nash
I would love to do this as well
Keep watching ill do whole how to on it .

Old 10-18-2013, 02:23 PM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Someone around here has to have an 08 with the color code on the vin, or just a thought maybe head down to ford and look at the color you want and get the color code off the vin sticker on the door pillar. So that way you know exactly what your getting If gotten this far you know what your doing, Ha!

Old 10-18-2013, 02:33 PM
xmontex4
Logistics Pro
I actually just found a paint code chart lol. I ran the part number through Tousley but they didn't have it, ill check just using Google next. Here's the link for future reference: http://www.fordparts.com/fileuploads...file/paint.pdf

Quick Reply: 04-08 Super Duty Firewall differences (for dash swap)