1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The Mule was totaled today!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL I was gunna link you the Hand picked trucks website as well!

To be honest those are only a few thousand over what i would realistically think one of these trucks to be worth! (in the perfect condition they sell them in).

Good luck Glenn. Ive only had to deal with insurance crap once and it was easy for me cuz I was the victim of his negligence behind the wheel! Pain and suffering is worth something!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Yeah James, it was scary! I heard that first hail hit a tin roof and it sounded like a bomb. I ran to the camper and pushed the stow button on my satellite because I didn't want it up and get hurt. We stood at the window in complete amazement as the camper got pounded and everything else. It took out two vents on top of the camper and put holes in all my awnings. Other then that, this old camper faired pretty good. The rubber roof got hit so hard I'm surprised it survived!

Thanks Alex, I've gone thru this before, its a pain in the butt arguing with this guys.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iv had two cups of coffee and bout crapped myself lol. I had to think to myself which one was the Mule lol.

I woulda cried for the Mare! Its my inspiration!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:36 PM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope it all works out for you Glenn. Good luck bud!

Old 09-26-2013, 02:15 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea... fight them... don't let them total it. I have found that with State farm will lowball you but if you question them and have any kind of support for your argument they will usually give in so as to not lengthen the claim.

Richard

Old 09-26-2013, 02:54 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Good luck Glenn. I have no real experience with adjusters. I haven't wrecked anything since I was a kid, and the only hail damage I got was on my old trailer. Had no problems with that. They gave me a check, I spent it, the end.

Had to edit. Where it says spent, used to say deposited. What was I thinking?

Old 09-26-2013, 03:03 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The title kinda scared me too when I read it. LOL! What do you want out of the deal Glenn? Do you want them to total it, and then buy it back, or are you trying to keep them from totaling it?

Old 09-26-2013, 07:53 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Thanks guys, been on the road all day and at stops we played phone tag. I finally just said to say what they wanted to say in a voice mail. The offer is $7484 if I give the truck and title to them, $5485 if I keep the truck. I was expecting a lot less but I will defiantly ask for it not to be totaled and also say that its worth twice that amount. I'm looking forward to their response and yours!

Just a side note, (I can highjack my own thread, LOL) I wish I had a picture of these mountains around Salt Lake City, I'll try tomorrow morning. They are in the clouds now but when you can see them they are covered in snow and its only Sep. In the Black Hills of SD the flies were on the side of the yellow house so thick it was almost black. In the UP of MI the bees and wasps were building their nests really high in the trees. HANG ON TO YOUR HATS BOYS, I'm afraid its going to be a tough winter. I drove thru some snow east of Salt Lake City.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:13 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I'm also interested in what their response will be to that.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by El Camino Man
Iv had two cups of coffee and bout crapped myself lol. I had to think to myself which one was the Mule lol.

I woulda cried for the Mare! Its my inspiration!
I'm glad you didn't crap yourself!! Maybe I should change the title but its probably to late now, LOL Yeah, the Mule was my inspiration to do to the Mare in one winter what I did to the Mule in eight years. Its still a heck of a truck.

Originally Posted by pjwoolw
I hope it all works out for you Glenn. Good luck bud!
Thanks Pete, like Darin, I never had a claim like this before and really like the advice and inspiration from you guys!

Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
yea... fight them... don't let them total it. I have found that with State farm will lowball you but if you question them and have any kind of support for your argument they will usually give in so as to not lengthen the claim.

Richard
I understand its not good to try and sell a truck with a salvage title but at 17 years old, does it matter much? Also Richard, if I lengthen the claim, what happens?

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Good luck Glenn. I have no real experience with adjusters. I haven't wrecked anything since I was a kid, and the only hail damage I got was on my old trailer. Had no problems with that. They gave me a check, I spent it, the end.

Had to edit. Where it says spent, used to say deposited. What was I thinking?
haha, check, cashed, spent...... sounds good to me, LOL Like the Mule hasn't given me enough, it keeps on giving.

Originally Posted by ReBilld
The title kinda scared me too when I read it. LOL! What do you want out of the deal Glenn? Do you want them to total it, and then buy it back, or are you trying to keep them from totaling it?
I'm not really sure what I want Bill. I want to keep it though. I mean, the difference between those two figures isn't enough for me to give it up. Now that I have the Mare and someone walked up to me and offered me $7,484 for the Mule, I would probably have sold it, LOL Can you tell I'm on the fence,

Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I'd take the $5485 and keep it if it were me. I don't think you'd ever sell the Mule

Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I understand its not good to try and sell a truck with a salvage title but at 17 years old, does it matter much? Also Richard, if I lengthen the claim, what happens?
there is no downside for you if you lengthen the claim... the only downside is for them.

Also note that they have set the scrap value of the truck at $2000... DON'T LET THEM CHANGE IT!

I would argue that with the upgrades and excellent ZERO-RUST condition (likely not common in that area) it would be comparable to the hand selected truck site.

For the Mule, tell them it was in just as good condition as the one on Hand Picked trucks ( Diesel Pickup Trucks for Sale (Used) in Leon, VA: 7.3 Ford Power Stroke, Dodge Cummins, Duramax ) at $16,959. You might argue that yours is more valuable because it's a long bed. Also, how many miles are on the Mule? The one on the Hand Picked site has 213k miles and it's a manual. The automatic tranny was a feature that you had to pay extra for when new so it increases the value.

Use that as your starting point for your argument. With the care, detail, and upgrades you put in you can justify that your truck was in the top 1% for that model.

Hand Picked Western Trucks represents those trucks in the top 1%. They currently have 7 OBS trucks ranging in price from ~$23k to ~$17K and the one I pointed out was the cheapest (and only supercab) so they can't complain that you found the most expensive truck out there.

If they give in they might want to repair it. if so tell them that is fine but you will have to get quotes when you get back.

If they still want to total it tell them ok... they can take the $2k off the $17k and they can write you a check for $15k and you will keep the truck.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk about it... I think you have my number.

Richard

Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by ReBilld
I'd take the $5485 and keep it if it were me. I don't think you'd ever sell the Mule
That thought has crossed my mind Bill, LOL

Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
there is no downside for you if you lengthen the claim... the only downside is for them.

Also note that they have set the scrap value of the truck at $2000... DON'T LET THEM CHANGE IT!

I would argue that with the upgrades and excellent ZERO-RUST condition (likely not common in that area) it would be comparable to the hand selected truck site.

For the Mule, tell them it was in just as good condition as the one on Hand Picked trucks ( Diesel Pickup Trucks for Sale (Used) in Leon, VA: 7.3 Ford Power Stroke, Dodge Cummins, Duramax ) at $16,959. You might argue that yours is more valuable because it's a long bed. Also, how many miles are on the Mule? The one on the Hand Picked site has 213k miles and it's a manual. The automatic tranny was a feature that you had to pay extra for when new so it increases the value.

Use that as your starting point for your argument. With the care, detail, and upgrades you put in you can justify that your truck was in the top 1% for that model.

Hand Picked Western Trucks represents those trucks in the top 1%. They currently have 7 OBS trucks ranging in price from ~$23k to ~$17K and the one I pointed out was the cheapest (and only supercab) so they can't complain that you found the most expensive truck out there.

If they give in they might want to repair it. if so tell them that is fine but you will have to get quotes when you get back.

If they still want to total it tell them ok... they can take the $2k off the $17k and they can write you a check for $15k and you will keep the truck.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk about it... I think you have my number.

Richard
That's some good stuff there Richard! Thanks! The Mule has 220K on it so its close to the truck you mentioned. The thing is, the hail can be repaired cheaper then 5K so wouldn't I be shooting myself in the foot if they said, OK, get the estimates and we will fix it? My thoughts are to try and squeeze some more out of them and forget it.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:12 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965

That's some good stuff there Richard! Thanks! The Mule has 220K on it so its close to the truck you mentioned. The thing is, the hail can be repaired cheaper then 5K so wouldn't I be shooting myself in the foot if they said, OK, get the estimates and we will fix it? My thoughts are to try and squeeze some more out of them and forget it.
That is certainly a possibility.... did you ever get quotes to fix it? From a real high quality body shop.

Richard

Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Joey Fletcher
.Bird

I would just smile and tell them.....I don't care what you think it is worth..

"You just find me a truck just like this one just as good or better." And if you fine one for $500.00. Good for you.

You pay Ins. so that if something does happen you will not be out of your truck, having to start over with nothing.

As far as an Act of GOD...is there a clause in your policy saying that Acts of GOD are only covered at 25%. If not don't budge one bit.

Remember that HE works for the Ins. company and not you. It is his Job to get you to settle as cheap and as fast as possible, that is what he is graded on in his job evaluation performance.

Do NOT be afraid to contact your States Attorney General and Insurance Commissioner about this. Stating that all you want is things to be fair on all sides.

Please, Please do NOT take any money or sign anything until you are satisfied with results of this claim.

Good luck
Exactly what he said....ask me how I know

Quick Reply: The Mule was totaled today!