6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Tranny reflash lost MPG, why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM
Tore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny reflash lost MPG, why??

I had an erratic shift in my 2012 F350 4x4. It was between 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd.
I called the dealer ship and they drove it and couldn't duplicate the same thing but they said the modulator needed to be reflashed with an upgrade. Well it seems to helped the erratic shifting but I have lost MPG.
I was able to obtain 22 mpg and now after 1500 miles I have to feather it just to get it to 20 MPG.

Why the drop? Has anyone else had this happen? Can they take the reflash out of it to get my MPG back?
2012 F350 4x4 Crew Cab with 3:31 gears. 14,000 miles on the truck

Tore

Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tore
I had an erratic shift in my 2012 F350 4x4. It was between 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd.
I called the dealer ship and they drove it and couldn't duplicate the same thing but they said the modulator needed to be reflashed with an upgrade. Well it seems to helped the erratic shifting but I have lost MPG.
I was able to obtain 22 mpg and now after 1500 miles I have to feather it just to get it to 20 MPG.

Why the drop? Has anyone else had this happen? Can they take the reflash out of it to get my MPG back?
2012 F350 4x4 Crew Cab with 3:31 gears. 14,000 miles on the truck

Tore
You are not alone my friend. I too lost some mpg's when my dealer flashed my truck. If it would have fixed the tranny shifting issues it wouldn't bother me as much. It shifts good for a couple weeks after a flash, then goes right back to the way it was. Herky, jerky, hiccup, stays in 4th longer than it should, then bangs into 5th.

I had the solenoid TSB performed at 25,000 miles and it seemed a little better for a while. Now at 40,000, it's just like when I bought it three years ago. The more throttle input I give it, or when it's loaded down, the smoother it shifts.

Good luck!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I wonder about this. So far my 2013 is shifting excellent. Not one issue but I only have a little over 1500 miles on it.

When did your trucks start having this shifting issue?

What happens if you just use manual mode?

Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM
desertnomad
Senior User
I've learned to live with it and only does it when engine is cold. It's much less jerky after I passed 15K miles but then again winter is coming so we shall see. I don't get near the mpg you get.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Tore
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
I wonder about this. So far my 2013 is shifting excellent. Not one issue but I only have a little over 1500 miles on it.

When I had about 5k on it I started to notice it. It doesn't matter if its cold or warm my had the stutter in it. It wasn't all the time but it was there. Never thought a tranny flash would cause you to loose MPG.
Imight take it back and see about having it removed.

Never tried the manual shifting.
Tore

Tore

Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck with trying to go back! Once they flash you to the latest version, they cannot go backwards. IDS will only allow the latest version installed on that computer to be installed. In other words, unless you found somebody that had an old version of IDS, there is very little hope of going back to the version you had.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by desertnomad
I've learned to live with it and only does it when engine is cold.
My truck does this every morning. It will jerk back and forth between 1-2, 2-3 sometimes. My truck is a 2011. A few months after having it I had the dealer reflash a few things (NOX sensor, transmission). The transmission really improved the performance overall. I just consider the jerky operation when cold a characteristic of the truck. Once I'm a few miles out it stops. The colder it is the rougher it is.

As to the mileage, I didn't pay any attention to it before/after reflashes. I am averaging 17 these days. Sometimes I hit over 20 when I am on a long trek, sometimes 14. It all depends on the conditions. Still, 17 for a 1 ton is decent. My 1/2 ton was 14 and my 6.4 maybe around 15-16.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:10 AM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by senix

My shifting issues started pretty early on. In fact, my first post in Nov 2010 was about tranny shifting issues. I bought the truck in Aug 2010.

What happens if I use manual mode is I forget to shift the dang thing! LOL!
I haven't used it enough to get a feel for how well it does or doesn't help.

I had the solenoids changed 15,000 miles ago hoping that would fix it. It helped for maybe 1000 miles. It's back to the same old crap. I have come to the conclusion that it is what it is. While I don't have the flares that John used to have that eventually led to him trading off the truck, I am curious if the later models are experiencing the problem. That is my main reason for wanting a new truck. I would still get another Ford, just hopefully one that shifts better.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:36 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
It's been so long I can't remember when my truck began the shifting issues; maybe 3000 miles.
The solenoid change did fix the main issue where my engine would high rev between 2nd to 3rd gear.
Now, it just stalls for a second but that's better than 2-N-3 with 3500 RPM 2 minutes after a cold start.
Some days when it stalls, I have had enough and punch it.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi gang,

Any physical concern with your truck should be brought to the attention of your dealership so they can inspect. Additionally, I'm always happy to research ways to help, too; to get started, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Old 09-27-2013, 10:04 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
The dealerships do what they can but it's difficult to reproduce and there is never a CEL.
I never even got a CEL when my turbo stopped working so there is no way a bad shift is going to throw one.
I have a good customer based relationship with my dealer so there isn't an issue there.
Without a CEL, Ford corp. says there is no concern.
It took 36,000 miles before I even got new solenoids.
I'm tired of giving my truck up for these silly issues but when I'm ready to dive into this again I know you are here to help us!

Old 09-27-2013, 11:24 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by marchare011
My shifting issues started pretty early on. In fact, my first post in Nov 2010 was about tranny shifting issues. I bought the truck in Aug 2010.

What happens if I use manual mode is I forget to shift the dang thing! LOL!
I haven't used it enough to get a feel for how well it does or doesn't help.

I had the solenoids changed 15,000 miles ago hoping that would fix it. It helped for maybe 1000 miles. It's back to the same old crap. I have come to the conclusion that it is what it is. While I don't have the flares that John used to have that eventually led to him trading off the truck, I am curious if the later models are experiencing the problem. That is my main reason for wanting a new truck. I would still get another Ford, just hopefully one that shifts better.
I've got close to 1600 miles on my 2013 and the tranny has been smooth with no glitches.

I have used the M-mode only once so this has all been in drive mode.

I have no complaints thus far.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I brought my 11' in about 4 or 5 times for rough shifting. The last time they reflashed and installed the latest programming, which helped quite a bit, but didn't completely fix the rough shifting.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi gang,

Any physical concern with your truck should be brought to the attention of your dealership so they can inspect. Additionally, I'm always happy to research ways to help, too; to get started, send me a PM with your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal
My truck had zero issues with trans shifting and the rumors about the trans flash affecting mileage have been around since the flash was announced.

Each trip to the dealer had me have the writer hand write on the ticket - "no flash".

The one time I forget to tell the writer ..............

Yep, trans flashed for a problem I did not have and my mileage out right stinks now.

Towing, I went from an average of 11-12.5, depending on my speed to 9 - 9.5 regardless of speed (within reason of course).

At my level that is a 20% drop.
My comparison is almost identical 5th wheel trips between years. One year ago, 2 trips, 1800 miles and 1400 miles.
This almost identical routes and miles. A $200 plus cost in diesel for a service I neither wanted or needed.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Tore
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi gang,

Crystal
Are you a direct employee of Ford Motor Company? Or has Ford hired an agency to handle complaints or problems that people discuss on the web and your employed by them?

Tore

Quick Reply: Tranny reflash lost MPG, why??