1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

few questions on the 6637.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:21 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
few questions on the 6637.

Ive been going to do the 6637 intake for awhile and just never got around to ordering it, so after hooking to a 16k pound load in bone stock form this weekend i decided its time to start slowly opening up a few ponies.

I was gonna order the Riffraff kit, now for a question does it come with everything to do away with all of the factory intake tubing? basically everything turbo to filter.

Next question upon a little search I saw a bunch of guys did a <acronym title="Do It Yourself">DIY</acronym> version using the stock intake hose and the 6637 filter. I dont see why this would not be just as good and cheaper, only thing is id have to find a filter cover if i decided to run one. so is there any gains of running a completely smooth housing such as the riffraff setup verse the stock intake hose?

I also seen a write up on guzzle7pt3.com about installing the filter restriction sensor in the new filter, is that really necessary?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Mud

The thing about a diesel is it loves to breath..Sucking in air is just one part of it.

If you have the stock down pipe on your truck I don't think you will see much improvement. It is like taking a big deep breath and then blowing it out through a small soda straw...try that while running...not to good...LOL

I am sure there are more people that is a bunch smarter on knowing the powerstrokes will be glad to help you out.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
I know that and have intentions of swapping to a 3" down pipe also, May remove the CAT as well. (it is already gutted but still there) but i don't see my self putting a 4" exhaust in its place most likely just a DP and possibly removing the cat. It may get a after market muffler or delete the muffler but that be the only other exhaust mod i will be doing, besides money is tight with trying to buy a house so taking things slow so the wife dont shoot me haha

Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
for my 02, i bought the filter and cover from Clay, and used a piece of 4 inch stainless exhaust pipe i had laying around to make an adapter to fit it to the stock air intake tube. i also mounter the filter restriction sensor and air intake temp sensors in the tube do they were not hanging.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
I would do the down pipe, Sawzaw the cat and muffler out and replace it with a section of pipe. Get a section of pipe 5 inches longer than what you cut out. Then have a muffler shop open both ends to slip over the pipes that are still on your truck then get good clamps and you should be on your way.

You may need to do some hanger mods that that is the easy stuff.

Hope this helps

Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
NC State law requires me to have a Muffler in for inspections and im not going to keep putting it in and taking it out. the Cat will be deleted when i do the down pipe.

Just got a quote for $120 to remove old DO instal new 3" and put in a section of pipe to delete the Cat I dont think that is to bad considering the work it seems to be involved. Am I thinking right or is that high?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:31 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tjc transport
for my 02, i bought the filter and cover from Clay, and used a piece of 4 inch stainless exhaust pipe i had laying around to make an adapter to fit it to the stock air intake tube. i also mounter the filter restriction sensor and air intake temp sensors in the tube do they were not hanging.
I understand I dont need the Filter restriction on my truck since its a OBS its not hooked to anything (no wires) Is it necessary to use the intake temp sensor? ive heard of people just tying them up somewhere....

got any pics though? I assume your talking about on a SD an not a OBS right?

Old 09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Mud

I live in Durham NC and I have been running a 3 1/2 down pipe and a 5 inch open full lenth exhaust.....no muffler or cat. for 13 years.

Not once have I ever had any issues with getting the truck inspected.

Where are you.....not the exact place but something close so I will know how far you are away..

Old 09-23-2013, 12:11 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
The 3 inch down pipe is easy to install.......the 3 1/2 is just a tad harder due to the flange on the fire wall of the cab. It has to be cut and the flange bent down for the 3 1/2 to clear.

It is a easy job if you like to tinker and got some tools. About an hour in a shop at most....2 hrs if you work off the ground...like I do now....LOL

I am an ol fat man....getting old is not for sissies.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:19 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You need to mod the firewall/floor flange for the 3" to clear. A 3.5" may not fit at all. Tranny type, brand of downpipe, how the engine sits on its mounts, condition of the cab mounts are all factors; YMMV.

To your initial question - the RiffRaff kit does NOT include the piping all the way to the turbo. You would have to do something with the CCV if it did. It includes the 30-ish-degree pipe off the filter, and that attaches to the tubing where the CCV comes in. You retain the rest of the intake tract -- the intermediate tubing where the CCV comes in and the boot that connects it to the turbo inlet.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Joey Fletcher
Senior User
Mad

You are possible right....I do remember that I did have to use a port-a-power to push the lower section of the firewall back for the 3 1/2 to clear the transmission..

Sorry for the wrong info.....I did it 13 yrs. ago

Old 09-23-2013, 12:47 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by 77mud
I understand I dont need the Filter restriction on my truck since its a OBS its not hooked to anything (no wires) Is it necessary to use the intake temp sensor? ive heard of people just tying them up somewhere....

got any pics though? I assume your talking about on a SD an not a OBS right?
i forgot your OBS strokers filter restriction is just a pop up and not wired to a light on the dash.
and yes, most just tie up the AIT sensor to keep it from flopping around.

no, i don't have any pictures of it.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got the kit from riffraff. When I added all the parts together to make my own kit (not much) riffraff was only about $5 more expensive and that is worth just getting it from Clay. Plus I grabbed a few extra parts too (spare CPS).

Richard

Old 09-23-2013, 02:15 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Joey Fletcher
Mud

I live in Durham NC and I have been running a 3 1/2 down pipe and a 5 inch open full lenth exhaust.....no muffler or cat. for 13 years.

Not once have I ever had any issues with getting the truck inspected.

Where are you.....not the exact place but something close so I will know how far you are away..
Stella bout 10 mins up Hwy 58 from Emerald isle. prolly a little over 3 hours from Durham depending what side your on. Ill have to check on the hole muffler deal iver talked to a few inspectors and they all told me the same but who knows they may be talking out there ***.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Joey Fletcher
The 3 inch down pipe is easy to install.......the 3 1/2 is just a tad harder due to the flange on the fire wall of the cab. It has to be cut and the flange bent down for the 3 1/2 to clear.

It is a easy job if you like to tinker and got some tools. About an hour in a shop at most....2 hrs if you work off the ground...like I do now....LOL

I am an ol fat man....getting old is not for sissies.
I like to tinker, but i have no lift so therefor id just a soon pay 100 bucks to get it done than to lay on my back and try to bang on the firewall.

Originally Posted by madpogue
You need to mod the firewall/floor flange for the 3" to clear. A 3.5" may not fit at all. Tranny type, brand of downpipe, how the engine sits on its mounts, condition of the cab mounts are all factors; YMMV.

To your initial question - the RiffRaff kit does NOT include the piping all the way to the turbo. You would have to do something with the CCV if it did. It includes the 30-ish-degree pipe off the filter, and that attaches to the tubing where the CCV comes in. You retain the rest of the intake tract -- the intermediate tubing where the CCV comes in and the boot that connects it to the turbo inlet.
Gotcha, I had thought about re directing the CCV aswell.

Originally Posted by tjc transport
i forgot your OBS strokers filter restriction is just a pop up and not wired to a light on the dash.
and yes, most just tie up the AIT sensor to keep it from flopping around.

no, i don't have any pictures of it.
who would of thought ya old fart :flipoff:

Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia
I got the kit from riffraff. When I added all the parts together to make my own kit (not much) riffraff was only about $5 more expensive and that is worth just getting it from Clay. Plus I grabbed a few extra parts too (spare CPS).

Richard
Im pretty sure i can get it done for way less than 100 plus shipping. i can get the filter for 40 shipped to me so i dont see 60 bucks in a sweep especially if i can locate one from work.

Quick Reply: few questions on the 6637.