1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Well, I went and did it....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:37 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill I got the welding truck to my house a couple weeks ago and got it all washed and changed the oil in it. I was over at dads getting some driveway rock delivered and it looked like it needed some love. Dad had to drive it a couple days to the mine.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:51 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those haul roads around the mines make a mess of a truck don't they Gabe! LOL! All of our company trucks are Chevys. They just bought some new ones a while back and those things look terrible! The parts delivery guys take them to the mines almost daily.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:00 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Yes they can get bad. There was a couple guys complaining that they kept getting flat tires, and the superintendent told them to get better tire.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Yes they can get bad. There was a couple guys complaining that they kept getting flat tires, and the superintendent told them to get better tire.
LOL!! Yeah, they are rough for sure. I had a 2000 F150 when I worked on the strip mine. That mud that got caked under the truck from driving those haul roads would harden like concrete! I guess it's all the limestone in it. I had a truck in my shop that a guy brought to me to work on for him. The inside of the frame rails were packed solid and all around the trans and t-case was packed with it. He said "You should have seen it before I pressure washed it! All you could see was the drive shaft turning!" LOL! It was a powder truck for a blaster on a strip mine. I had to put a clutch in that thing too! I bet there was 100 lbs or more of dried mud on my shop floor when I pulled that truck out of the shop!

Old 02-20-2015, 12:20 AM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
O yeah it's the same way here. Gotta love it haha. Kinda crapy he couldn't of cleaned it better than that though especially since you were working underneath it.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
Kinda crapy he couldn't of cleaned it better than that though especially since you were working underneath it.
Yeah that's what I thought too, but he has me work on three different trucks of his, so I didn't wanna complain too much. LOL!

Old 02-20-2015, 06:59 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by martin72
When I took my apart the shower head were in pieces and I did not know what it was so I cleaned the tanks and put it back together. I had my hands full trying to get the truck painted and didn't investigate and I was not on here yet for help.My truck ran out of fuel on time last summer and it had 3/4 a tank I think this may be what it is. I need to order the shower heads from Clay when I get time.
My front tank was indicating just under a half tank on the gauge and my fuel pressure would go to zero almost immediately if I switched to that tank. The rear tank, would start to run dry with about 1/8 tank still indicating on the gauge. I didn't really suspect there to be an issue with that one, I just decided to open it up while I had the bed off and make sure it looked okay inside. The shower head is in pieces in the bottom of that one too.

That's one great thing about having the fuel pressure gauge on the pillar, I can see it the moment the tank runs dry and switch tanks before the truck misses a beat. It takes a few seconds for things to switch over, but it's usually quick enough that I don't have any issue. I imagine this truck has had this issue since I've gotten it. It has always run out of fuel on both tanks before it got to the bottom of the gauge, but the front tank just got a lot worse in the last few months. I'm guessing there must have been part of the shower head hanging on until recently and it finally let go.

That will all be remedied soon enough. I have two brand new OEM parts in the box at home, just waiting to go on the truck. All I need now is some warmer weather for painting and a little time to spend on the truck.

I've got to get some other stuff into the shop this weekend (thus the 1 gallon rear tank mod) so I'll have to back the truck out to make room for it. I'm doing a trans drain and fill with a new return filter on the wife's Honda Odyssey the transmission in that thing has been missing a beat every now and then. I'm really REALLY hoping we don't have to do transmission work in that thing. I guess they're not known for being the most solid transmissions. I also have to replace the harmonic balancer on my Rav4 DD. It's been making a screeching sound that I thought was the bearings in the A/C clutch but when I pulled it apart I found that the outer layer of the balancer had separated from the inner hub. The sound I was hearing was the two pieces sliding past each other. Apparently there was enough belt tension on it that it was still spinning some, just not at full speed. Neither of these should be all that big a job, but they still take time and since all my air tools and stuff are in the shop, I need to get them in there. So, I'll be moving stuff around and playing musical cars a bunch tomorrow (sound familiar Bill?) I thought Hondas and Toyotas were never supposed to brake down!?

Happy Friday everybody.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Happy Friday Nate!! Stay warm and glad to see you getting some time to dig into the new/old truck!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
I found out the limit on my idi the other day, just under 1/8 And it started running rough. Having done this dance before in my PSD, I hurried up and switched tanks, and about 30 seconds later it smoothed back out. I may pull it some time. What I really need to do is pull the rear tank on the 97 and fix it. Just one of those things.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
I found out the limit on my idi the other day, just under 1/8 And it started running rough. Having done this dance before in my PSD, I hurried up and switched tanks, and about 30 seconds later it smoothed back out. I may pull it some time. What I really need to do is pull the rear tank on the 97 and fix it. Just one of those things.
Sounds like a slacker in the making to me...

Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Thanks Byron. I think I have everything here now that I need for the IC, I just need some time to get out there and work on it. Little things keep colluding against me and I have 1 more week of this class I'm taking right now, with about a third of the grade still out there in the final and a big project. Once I get past that, maybe.... But then I go right into 2 more classes....

Old 02-28-2015, 06:09 AM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Originally Posted by fordman67
Sounds like a slacker in the making to me...
Yeah yeah. When you work on other people's cars (junk) all day long, sometimes you have no ambition to work on your own stuff.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:03 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Thanks Byron. I think I have everything here now that I need for the IC, I just need some time to get out there and work on it. Little things keep colluding against me and I have 1 more week of this class I'm taking right now, with about a third of the grade still out there in the final and a big project. Once I get past that, maybe.... But then I go right into 2 more classes....
I feel you Nate. I am running a pretty full and limited schedule as well...keep it up! You'll be ahead of the game before you know it.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
I got to spend a little time on it today and I got the rest of the front end pulled apart and the openings cut out for the IC. Flattened out the brackets for the A/C condenser, and straightened out the brace for the core support. I need to do some cleaning up and shoot some paint on the fresh edges.

This was before I cut out the core support for the IC, or straightened the brackets, but you get the idea.

Since I'm doing frame paint too and I'm this far already, I hate to say it, but I'm tempted to pull the rest of the front clip apart so I can get to the front of the frame as well. I'm resisting the temptation, but I keep looking at it and thinking that I'm already 2/3 the way there. I've got a couple cracks in the core support to repair and I've been wanting to do a coolant flush and then install a filter, so this would make it the appropriate time for that as well. I didn't plan on doing all that, but I'm close enough now that I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and do it now. I was hoping to be able to scrape together enough to put an exhaust system on the truck before RRE, but if I do this I doubt I'll be able to swing that. I'm not sure what to do at this point...

Old 02-28-2015, 06:40 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Your tad support looks to be in pretty good shape other than the cracks. Personally I think I would go with the maintenance stuff now. An exhaust later. Like you said, your thus far now and it will be easier to do it now.

Quick Reply: Well, I went and did it....