1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plow with lift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 PM
eastcoastrollcoal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plow with lift?

Howdy everyone.. I was wondering how a plow would work on a 02 powerstroke with a 8 inch lift and 38s... A chain plow that being. I'm not sure if you could just lengthen the chain and have the plow pull up less than with the original chain? Or its not possible? or whats the deal, could really appreciate the help as winters right around the corner here in the Northeast.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my guess is you would need to lower the plow frame its self . they are not designed to plow downward like that just strait our plow trucks are set at a spacific angle . but they are mack trucks. i could see the chain breaking or the bars bending very easily and rolling under the truck

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
You'd have to fab up alot of extra frame. From experience, I think it'd be a terrible idea to plow with a truck that high.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:44 PM
TosaFords
Tuned
Unless you plan on getting rid of your truck in the next couple years don't put a plow on it. Plowing is quite hard on a truck and with has modified as yours is you would only be making it worse. The plow frame would still need to be in the correct position relative to the ground so you would pretty much have about 18" of frame hanging under the front bumper at all times.

If you want a truck to use for plowing your own small area get an older used truck where parts are cheap and abundant. You can buy an older truck with the plow already installed for less than the price of a new plow for your current truck. Then you just have to replace what you break with parts from the junkyard.

If you are thinking of doing this commercially you need a different truck with near stock suspension. Also, for a commercial plowing gig you need to have some kind of backup if your primary plowing vehicle breaks down. A customer isn't going to care that you don't have a truck if there's a foot of snow in their driveway. They will drop you fast and find somebody else.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Don't even think about it..You'll have to fab an 8" drop. That will increase stress in area's that the truck wasn't designed for...That being said it can be done if welded up properly and braced.

Dick

Old 09-16-2013, 09:33 PM
eastcoastrollcoal
New User
Okay thanks everyone, so which one? extra frame or separate truck? I would probably start doing or wanting to do commercial work as I already mow lawns semi-commercially/landscaping... I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to just get an older truck but wouldn't it be tough to balance the extra older truck in the winter? I live northwest of Boston and typically average between 80-100" of white stuff every year.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM
TosaFords
Tuned
Originally Posted by eastcoastrollcoal
Okay thanks everyone, so which one? extra frame or separate truck? I would probably start doing or wanting to do commercial work as I already mow lawns semi-commercially/landscaping... I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to just get an older truck but wouldn't it be tough to balance the extra older truck in the winter? I live northwest of Boston and typically average between 80-100" of white stuff every year.
If you want to know more about plowing then you'll ever need to know go spend some time over at Plowsite.com.

If you are doing this commercially you need a separate truck. You will be putting way too much stress on your truck. By the time you got done fabbing up an 8" drop for the plow that can take the load it's going to weigh over 500lbs on it's own and will probably still break.

Also, plowing is a whole new thing. People will call you at unbelievable hours to come plow their driveway. If you get a bad storm you will be running on very little sleep and a whole lot of coffee.

If your truck breaks you need to have a backup. Your customers won't care why you don't show up, they will just know you didn't. The backup could be a second truck or be prepared to pay another company to fulfill your obligations until you are able to again.

The best option if you want to get into plowing is to start out with somebody who is already established. Whether you are running their truck or running your truck as a subcontractor, you need somebody who can back you up until you get to know the business.

Just remember that no matter what truck/plow you run, it will break in the middle of a blizzard.

Plowing can be a very good way to make a few bucks during the winter or lose your shirt trying.

Along with all the equipment problems you will also have to deal with people. There will be guys who buy a 30yr old truck that's made of more rust than steel and they will offer to plow for less than your fuel cost and still be convincing themselves that they are making money while putting you out of business.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
get an old beater to plow with.
plowing will tear stuff up, and with an 8 inch lift it will cost you a fortune.

my 88 has a 4 inch lift, and it took a lot of time and fabrication to make the plow work properly without breaking stuff.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM
eastcoastrollcoal
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
get an old beater to plow with.
plowing will tear stuff up, and with an 8 inch lift it will cost you a fortune.

my 88 has a 4 inch lift, and it took a lot of time and fabrication to make the plow work properly without breaking stuff.
Yeah looks like I'm in luck, theres a actually pretty nice 94 f350 turbo 7.3 for sale around 1900.. I could take a thousand off it possibly or offer em like 600 and the best thing is it's a flatbed, so a sander is already ready! Thanks again everyone