1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Toyota Kit help!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm trying to install the toyota power steering kit from Mid fiftys in my 60 with a 223 engine. The problem is that it just doesnt fit. The shaft for the steering column comes out almost under the brake pedal when bolted up and there is no way I can get the clutch slave cylinder back on the trans. The old and new boxes seem to be the same size from the mounting flange to center of the gear box but It doent look like the slave will even go back on even if I get the gear box where it needs to be. Any help would be great and pictures of your set up if you can Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Just cant get it to fit. Gonna send it back and get the 400 gear box from CPP. Unless someone needs it.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:39 AM
williebones
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just need the brackets and stuff, already have the box if you want to split it up

Old 09-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by williebones
I just need the brackets and stuff, already have the box if you want to split it up

Mid fifty is sending me a shipping label to send it back for full credit.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
CPP box came today and it looks like it will fit nicely. Pump from Summit is mounted to the 223 and was surprisingly easy to make it work. Updates will come when I have time to install it.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:21 PM
oldebrush
Senior User

Perhaps you could do some of us a big favor, before sending the Mid Fiftys box back? Please take a couple pictures of the two boxes together, for comparison. Might just help some of us (like myself, who are thinking of going with the Toyota box) see the difference? I have an original Toyota box now, and plan for it to go in my 57, that has a 302 in it.

Thanks in advance.

Aloha, Tony

Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by oldebrush
Perhaps you could do some of us a big favor, before sending the Mid Fiftys box back? Please take a couple pictures of the two boxes together, for comparison. Might just help some of us (like myself, who are thinking of going with the Toyota box) see the difference? I have an original Toyota box now, and plan for it to go in my 57, that has a 302 in it.

Thanks in advance.

Aloha, Tony
I already sent the Toyota box back and the new CPP box is at the shop. I can tell you the CPP box is about 3/4 of an inch shorter from the frame mounting surface to the centerline of the input shaft than the Toyota. The Toyota was 4 inches and new CPP box is 3 1/4. The stock box looks like its angled from the frame just enough to make a difference where the steering shaft comes through the floor. The CPP box required no new holes to be drilled and spacers to put it exactly where you want it from the frame to make the steering shaft line up. No way the Toyota box was gonna work without major frame mods.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:30 AM
oldebrush
Senior User

I think I understand what you are doing now. Am I right, that you want to use the stock steering column and connect it up to your new box? And the Toyota would not let you do that? I will have to do some playing with mine to see where it comes out. The stock column and box are still in my truck. (need it that way for now to be able to move the truck around.) It may be a while, but I will see what I can find. Please post pics of your CCP box installation, in as much detail as you can. Thanks.

Aloha, Tony

Old 09-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by oldebrush
I think I understand what you are doing now. Am I right, that you want to use the stock steering column and connect it up to your new box? And the Toyota would not let you do that? I will have to do some playing with mine to see where it comes out. The stock column and box are still in my truck. (need it that way for now to be able to move the truck around.) It may be a while, but I will see what I can find. Please post pics of your CCP box installation, in as much detail as you can. Thanks.

Aloha, Tony
Yes.. Stock column and Toyota box no workie. CPP box looks like it will be OK. Pictures soon.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:18 PM
williebones
New User
You can use the stock column and the Toyota ps box. You just have to cut a double "d" on the end of the stock column and get the correct u-joint for the Toyota spline to double "d".

Borgeson u-joint part # is U15N-7DDx730.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by williebones
You can use the stock column and the Toyota ps box. You just have to cut a double "d" on the end of the stock column and get the correct u-joint for the Toyota spline to double "d".

Borgeson u-joint part # is U15N-7DDx730.

Toyota box doesn't fit.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
CPP box... Perfect. Fit was awesome but I did have to grind down the shims a little to line up. No frame drilling. Hose fittings same a Toyota box. Used a recommended rag joint from CPP and it worked great too. Looks and works great. Aerostar pump makes a hum when under load but other than that all good. I used a horn saver kit from mid-fifty's and couldn't be happier with them for giving full credit when they got their Toyota box and brackets back from me. Mid-Fifty's is a stand up company. Happy Camper.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Maltman
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Right on, can we see some pictures? I may be interested for this conversion in future...

Originally Posted by Damifiknow
CPP box... Perfect. Fit was awesome but I did have to grind down the shims a little to line up. No frame drilling. Hose fittings same a Toyota box. Used a recommended rag joint from CPP and it worked great too. Looks and works great. Aerostar pump makes a hum when under load but other than that all good. I used a horn saver kit from mid-fifty's and couldn't be happier with them for giving full credit when they got their Toyota box and brackets back from me. Mid-Fifty's is a stand up company. Happy Camper.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
Can you give some info on the horn saver kit as to how that works..

Edit: found it on the website, not what I'm looking for.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Damifiknow
Elder User
Originally Posted by hiball3985
Can you give some info on the horn saver kit as to how that works..

Edit: found it on the website, not what I'm looking for.
Horn saver kit is cool. Connects your stock wire inside the column to a rotating bushing inside column housing attached to steering shaft making a stationary electrical connection outside the column to connect your horn.

Quick Reply: Toyota Kit help!!! Please