Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:27 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tool Thread

I've been wondering about some of the big tool collections that some of you must have, so I figured I'd start a thread so that you can show them off. I don't have all that menu tools, but I have enough to get by with. I keep some stuff in my garage toolbox, but most of my wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, cutters, and other common use items stay in boxes that go everywhere with me. I feel lost if I'm somewhere and need my tools, haha

Here's some of my stuff:

My new tool box:

Air tools:

Boxes with tons of deep and short sockets:

A few wrenches

There's a bunch more stuff in that box, but I don't want to clutter things up with more pictures.

My 26 gallon, 1.5HP air compressor:

Might like a little over 1.5HP, but this gets the job done for the most part and an isn't expensive compressor.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Also want to know what brands of tools you guys like to buy. I've got a little of everything so far. Have only had issues with a few tools so far.

I've got some Craftsman/Sears, Mac, Snap-on, Stanley, Husky, Trades-Pro, Duralast, etc...

I've bought Craftsman stuff because I feel like it's a scent trade off between quality and price, plus it's got a lifetime warranty (which I've used before without issue).

I've bought Duralast (Autozone) tools because the store is close by and is the quickest place to get something when I need it right then. They also have a lifetime warranty (which they hold up on).

The small amount of Mac and Snap-on stuff I've only got because it was used and didn;t have an unbearable price tag.

As for all of the other brands of tools that I've got... I've bought most of them because they've been priced well and I've bought sets of tools to get started with.

I've even bought some stuff from Harbor Freight. I know, I know... I've had good and bad luck. They're screwdrivers are crap, and their cheapo no-name sockets won't hold up well. The Pittsburg stuff seems to be pretty good. I've bought some Pittsburg stuff from them, and haven't had the first issue. Good wrenches, good ratchets (have use cheater bars without issues). The Pittsburg stuff also has a lifetime warranty. I haven't had to use the warranty yet, but people have told me that Harbor Freight is great about returning stuff. They run so much stuff through the store that they don't care about returning a few things.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
I don't even want to think about what I have invested in tools and the box. Gotta be close to 10-12k as of now. I'll get pics tomorrow when I'm at work. I've only got Snap-On, Matco, Mac, and a few Cornwell. Only top notch will do when I need them to make me money.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Elder User
No pics of my tools, but I will say I love my snap on gear wrenches 10-19 mm. Paid full truck price and haven't thought twice about it.
you are far more organized than me. I usually spend more time cussing and throwing things than working.
harbor freight gets a bad reputation from people who think they are getting a deal on Milwaukee stuff. Its cheaper for many good reasons. But used correctly I haven't had any big unexpected issues.
I buy what I need usually just after I need it. :-) and will pay according to how often I plan to use it.
I have stopped buying craftsmen since they went to china. And would not take back a 4 day old circular saw.
menards has been my good tool stop since I left the auto shops. I pay for the American flag on the package too. Never disappointed.
currently rebuilding a 20ish gallon 3 hp compressor, my welding skills leave much to be desired. Maybe ill shot a pic of it with some toys for ya. This weekend.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 21411
I will say I love my snap on gear wrenches 10-19 mm. Paid full truck price and haven't thought twice about it.
Would love to have a set like that. May buy some in the future.

you are far more organized than me. I usually spend more time cussing and throwing things than working.
I try to keep my stuff organized. If I don't put stuff back once I'm done using it then it usually disappears and pops up a few days/weeks/months later. I'm much quicker working on stuff to when everything has a place and I know where to find it.

harbor freight gets a bad reputation from people who think they are getting a deal on Milwaukee stuff. Its cheaper for many good reasons. But used correctly I haven't had any big unexpected issues.
Yeah, people always talk down on Harbor Freight stuff, but some of it's halfway decent. I don't mind buying certain things from them.

I buy what I need usually just after I need it. :-) and will pay according to how often I plan to use it.
Same here. I'll pay more money for something that I'll use all the time. If I only need something a few times a year, it'll probably be a budget buy (but usually still not crap).

I have stopped buying craftsmen since they went to china. And would not take back a 4 day old circular saw.
I can definitely see a difference in older Craftsman tools vs. newer ones, but I still haven't had an issue with returns if something breaks (I also know others who make returns there without issues). Probably depends a lot on your particular store.

Maybe ill shot a pic of it with some toys for ya. This weekend.
Sounds good. Would love to see what you've got!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:18 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
I'll take some pictures of what I've got when I get the chance.

I stick with as much Craftsman tools as I can. They have yet to deny me any lifetime warranty claims and for that, I'll stick with it. It's nice to buy a tool once, and never spend money on it again. Most of my powertools, sawzalls and the like, are DeWalt or Milwaukee.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:40 PM
1993_f350_2013
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have an assortment of craftsmen, snap-on, williams, and el-cheapo tools but if the tool fits and it gets the job done then i dont mind what brand it is.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Jermafenser
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mostly craftsman that I bought when I was younger. The rest are old ones that I bought at yard sales and stuff and found in trucks I bought over the years.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Seabee_Ford
New User
Classic assortment of everything here... ProToo, snapon, craftsman, greatneck, hell yea even the cheapo ones. I've got some friends and family that work for big places and are required to buy their own tools. Nifty thing is that if they break a tool on the job they are replaced for free and guaranteed to be a name brand. I just have to make sure that every tool goes to work with them just before it breaks...

I have the exact same Husky air compressor and it works great!!! I've actually plumbed mine into an old 40 gal tank and a couple of air bubbles for added volume. That was good and bad. Good= I can keep working longer before it runs out of volume... Bad= when it does run out of volume it takes longer to fill up lol. Thinking about finding another old pump to link in with it and set it just under the Husky's PSI. Than I won't have to worry about a bleader valve. I'll get some pictures up when I start my SAS on my 93 in about 6 weeks.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Seabee_Ford

I have the exact same Husky air compressor and it works great!!! I've actually plumbed mine into an old 40 gal tank and a couple of air bubbles for added volume. That was good and bad. Good= I can keep working longer before it runs out of volume... Bad= when it does run out of volume it takes longer to fill up lol. Thinking about finding another old pump to link in with it and set it just under the Husky's PSI. Than I won't have to worry about a bleader valve.

Good setup! Once I have a better garage space I want to do the same thing and hook it up to another tank(s). I've seen large compressors with bad motors ridiculously cheap around here that would be great for just using the tank.

I'd also like to end up having the compressor somewhere more blocked off from working area so that listening to it isn't as bad. It's a pretty loud compressor.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have just about everybrand. We use the cheapo ones often and they do great but when the cheapo one is broken just grab the good stuff then later go and by a new cheapo one. Keeps the good stuff good and the cheap stuff being used. The truck box on the 02 is filled with 2 circular saws (1 old worm drive and one craftsmen) and a bunch of other tools including 2 hydraulic jacks and at least 2 or more of everything. The tool box in the house has some tools but most is in the truck till we get our garage then they will be in there. We have a gas powered air compressor that has wheels we want to get another one and set it up on the 89 f250 flatbed also got a gas powered altenator set up (oh ya definatlly ford altenator) to charge batteries, a Lincoln welder that one is stick feed and a wire feed craftsmen welder both do great when needed. A victor torch set (don't know how many times we have used that. Our generator is our 15KW generac but we are looking for a welder gen to put on the 89 f250 flatbed.
Trav
This is an old pic of our set up looks different now (10xs more organized and less stuff as most was broken in this pic) Them sockets are napa impact sockets those work great:

Being we have the biggest truck box no the market on our this helps us a bunch:

I can't wait till this tool is back up and running 1960 Case 430 Construction King gas powered it use to dig like a dream till we threw a rod. Just don't have the area to fix the engine:

Old 09-05-2013, 11:27 PM
BigBlockF350
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
Being we have the biggest truck box no the market on our this helps us a bunch:
That's a huge truck tool box! I thought about getting a really big one, but decided I didn't want to use up that much bed space. My smaller one is definitely restricting.

Originally Posted by Redneckfordf2502002
I can't wait till this tool is back up and running 1960 Case 430 Construction King gas powered it use to dig like a dream till we threw a rod. Just don't have the area to fix the engine:
Will you fix that once you have your garage space set up?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well dont have a lot, have just my Husky tool box, and a mixture of tools in the tool chest (Craftsman I believe) and its just a wide mixture of tool brands.

I for right now keep the Hi-Lift in my toolbox at least thats where it will remain until I get it mounted...also keep a small tool kit in each vehicle (both cars and truck) just incase I wind up at the auto yard or something...or ned them to repair something that breaks while on the road...no pics right now but ill upload some later...

Old 09-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlockF350
That's a huge truck tool box! I thought about getting a really big one, but decided I didn't want to use up that much bed space. My smaller one is definitely restricting.

Will you fix that once you have your garage space set up?
Hopefully sooner. We have to take the crank out and put the old one in the new engine. Have everything to do it but we live in a very dusty enviorment and need something that don't won't get in the engine. But if we get the garage space set up next year (which we are planning) we will just do it then. Other then the engine needing fixing the trans doesn't go in third gear unless you hold it (I personally have never had it over second.) Also the hydraulic cylinder (the biggest one) leaks fluid on the backhoe. When we get the garage we plan on tearing everything down and rebuilding it all and repainting it. Pretty much do a full on restoration because you don't see many 60 Case 430CKs that are gas anymore. The only reason I got the biggest truck box on our 02 is because it hauls the tools we have a few other trucks for other stuff plus the 02 is only a short bed so a little less room won't hurt it.
Trav

Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Uncle Grumpy
Junior User
I use, lose, abuse and occasionally bend or snap my tools but I learnt years ago to only buy the best. (that you can afford.) Cheap tools are a no no for me. Today there are some really questionable tools being sold.

I am not a professional but I do have several trucks cars and tractors that I enjoy working on and I expect that when I use a certain tool it will fit properly, withstand the force applied and be ready to do it all again when needed.

Quick Reply: Tool Thread