Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Headlights on 97 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 10:32 PM
AndrewB
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 1997 Ford Explorer's right headlamp will not work on low beam, and my foglamps will not work either. The right lamp works on high beam, but not low. I have replaced the bulb and the new one does the same thing. I have checked all the fuses and none seem to be burned. I noticed that the fuse for the right headlamp and the foglamps is the same one. Any ideas?

Old 07-15-2003, 12:48 AM
parker_jr
New User

Did you ever get your headlight problem solved? My '97 has started doing the same thing; and my fuses are good. I'm going to start looking at relays and otehr stuff but if you know what fixed yours, maybe that will point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Soulseeka
Senior User

Just taking a stab, it sounds like a headlamp switch problem... unless these trucks have a separate relay for for each lamp.

Ya know there's a way to have your fogs come on without turning on your headlamps. Interested? Reply back and I'll have gotten directions together by then. It's a quick fix, I did it on my '95 Ranger. Ya know these trucks look good with park lights and fogs burning.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:48 AM
parker_jr
New User

I was thinking it might be a relay problem, but according to my schematic and the dealer parts guy, my '97 doesn't have any headlight relays. Tell me where you found your relays and I'll see if I can find those on mine.

And the fog light thing, yes tell me how to do that; I was surprised (and disappointed) that it doesn't come that way from the factory. Fogs and parking lights just before dusk always look good.

Old 07-15-2003, 04:25 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In many states it is not legal to run fog lights without low beams also on.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:00 PM
seaya100
New User

wanted to know if you can tell me how to run the fogs with out the headlights
thank you

Old 07-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Soulseeka
Senior User

Don't know how much you guys know about relays but here goes.
This worked on my '95 Ranger like a charm.

A relay takes a small amount of power coming from a switch and turns on a larger amount of power
to send to the source.
OR a relay will have to have 12 volts coming from a switch to then be used by another switch.
Such as the Foglamp relay can't be turned on even with the foglamp switch unless the headlights are on sending 12volts to the foglamp relay.

Under the hood on the drivers side is where the relays are housed.
Unbolt the relay box from the truck to gain access to the wires underneath.

Find the Air Conditioner relay.
When the key switch is turned to the on position you will have 12 volts going to the A/C relay (0 volts when key off). This is a smaller wire, red I think.

Find the Relay that controls the Foglamps.
Find the wire that has 12 volts when the full Headlamps are on (will have 0 volts when hi beam's on or park lights on). This again is a smaller wire.
You are going to cut this wire and close it off. You need to leave enough wire where you can splice from the Foglamp relay into the the A/C relay wire you found previously. So now both relays will be fed 12 volts at the same time when the key is on.

This now allows you to use your Foglamps at anytime when the key is switched on!

Basically we are sending the Foglamp relay 12volts when the key is on making it think the Headlamps are on!

Be careful doing this... you may be able to use any other relay you can find to feed the fog relay if you wish using the same steps above. don't use one that has a constant 12 volts cause fog's will always stay on if you do.

Email with anymore questions or praises on your success.

Old 07-23-2003, 09:03 PM
parker_jr
New User

That "fix" for the fog lights should work fine since all you are doing is changing the power source for the fog lamp relay (from the low beam circuit to the A/C circuit); one of these days I'll get around to it.

By the way for any one who is curious, the right headligh and fogs not working when fuses are good is the "Lamp Out Module". This was $72.50 from my dealer but I found one in a wrecking yard for $10.

Funny how something that is supposed to tell you when a light is burned out can actually stop a light from working; but still tell you they are all working fine.

Old 08-13-2003, 01:23 AM
smly
New User

the weirdest thing... i have a problem with my headlights staying on when I shut off my explorer 97 sport sohc. i noticed recently that the high beams indicator on dashboard was flicking on and off. if i turn on the headlights the high beams indicator on the dash goes out. can someone help?

Old 08-13-2003, 09:09 AM
Soulseeka
Senior User

Never heard of this. Off the top of my shaved head I would say, headlamp switch or mostly that blasted multifunction dimmer/wiper/turn sig switch.

I'll do a little research fo ya!

Old 08-13-2003, 11:29 AM
smly
New User

thanks, i appreciate any info you can give me. right now i have to unplug the battery to avoid the lights being on. is this something easy to fix... i would like to avoid taking it to the dealer. i have been misled in the past.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Soulseeka
Senior User

most likley it's the DRL mod.

Old 08-13-2003, 04:29 PM
smly
New User

someone in my original post recommended removing the fuse for DRL in the distribution box which has temporarily solved my problem (don't have to unhook the battery) until i can replace the DRL module. although, i don't have fog lights or brights for nightime. thanks everyone for your help.

Old 08-26-2003, 12:44 AM
brif4i
New User

Originally posted by parker_jr

By the way for any one who is curious, the right headligh and fogs not working when fuses are good is the "Lamp Out Module". This was $72.50 from my dealer but I found one in a wrecking yard for $10.

Funny how something that is supposed to tell you when a light is burned out can actually stop a light from working; but still tell you they are all working fine.
I am having the same problem and now that I know the fix can you tell me where the lamp out module located at?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-26-2003, 05:49 PM
brif4i
New User

I was able to get a hold of a wiring scematic but where in the car is it located?

Quick Reply: Headlights on 97 Explorer