1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

The Adventures of Clyde

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
The Adventures of Clyde

Hello everyone, my name is Lee, and this is my official build/storytelling page for Clyde.

Clyde is a 1981 F150, regular cab, longbox 2wd, powered by a 300 six, a C6, with a 9" out back.

Here is a pic not long after i got it. i swapped on some 1995 wheels, and a bench out of a 95 F250

Clyde came equipped with the Explorer package, has been poorly repainted, and was purchased last November for the price of $400. the previous owner couldn't get Clyde to run properly, and he decided to take about half the emissions equipment off. When i got Clyde, i had many teething issues, which involved pulling the rest of the non functioning emissions goods, replacing the steering box, and rebuilding the carb (several times). The truck now runs very smoothly, was getting decent mileage, but still has some issues that need attention.

For those who are wondering why the truck was named Clyde, the night i purchased the truck, i went to make a turn and the turn signal bulb was burnt out. Instinctively, i quoted the movie 'any which way but loose' and said out loud "Right turn, Clyde!"

Now, our story begins with Clyde in my shop, the exhaust removed as i was ready to replace it, and with a broken exhaust manifold and two loose tie rod ends.... stay tuned.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Subscribed. But I thought Clyde was a camel, not an orangutan. Anyway, it was a cute movie.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM
JayzDaddy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice lookin truck. I want a bench like that but i want one with a storage compartment.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

@Jayzdaddy, i took the seat out of a 95 F250 i bought for parts, i had to shampoo it 3 times to clean it up... dang farmer trucks.

Today i am out buying up stuff, im picking up a set of split manifolds, a pair of outer tie rod ends, and hopefully, some door panels. got a different front bumper and a sliding rear window on Sunday, need to get them swapped in as well.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:57 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Subscribing.
It's amazing what a little attention and TLC can do for a neglected Ford truck.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Today, i got these...

Ok, i had one, but got the other one... now, the gasket comes in tomorrow, so i had better start tearing in. Also got the Tie rods ends today, so hope to get those, the manifolds, the slider, and the front bumper all swapped in by the weekend.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

teardown of Clyde has finally begun, today i got the new manifolds freed of the nasty hardware locked into them ( thank you torch!) i got rid of the nasty front bumper for a bumper without rust holes the size of baseballs (Thank you torch!) i pulled the hitch off a junk truck and prepped it for being put onot Clyde (Thank you torch!) and i put on new tie rod ends.

Yes, i'm handy with a torch... and yes, the excessive amount of yardwork I had to do did limit my time i had to work on Clyde.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Side note: i am seriously pondering switching Clyde over to propane... thoughts or suggestions?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'm not sure you can work on these trucks w/a "hot wrench". Yesterday we couldn't get the nut off of a ball joint and the only wrench we could get on it was a boxed-end that just didn't provide the needed leverage. We heated the nut and it came right of.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:05 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
Side note: i am seriously pondering switching Clyde over to propane... thoughts or suggestions?
How cold does it get where you live?
Are you willing to jack the compression way up?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm subscribing to this one.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:44 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bootlegger's Deluxe
You wil lose some power when converting to propane..

If you live where it is not TOO cold, ok..

My brothers and I run two tractors on propane..No Problems where we are..

Propane is really clean burning...when you change the oil, the oil you drain out looks as good as the new oil...

We are running one tractor (1953 SuperC farmall) on propane..Has been since new...2 sets of plugs since new...

My uncle in Louisiana ran his cars and trucks on propane..could be switched to gas with flip of switch...

However, consider the price of the conversion,tank,etc....Your call...

Just giving you a little info based on my experiences.. Trav.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

thanks for your input, people.

I live in northeast iowa, it gets COLD here, like into the negatives. i have been offered a entire setup for $400, and it is a setup that will switch to gasoline with a flip ofthe switch. looks like gasoline will be my fuel for the winter months...

Old 09-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Bootlegger's Deluxe
Fleet Mechanic

Clyde hasn't been hiding... ok yes, he has. the truck is currently disassembled in the shop, getting attention every so often.

As usual, the "might as wells" kicked in.

I had to pull the exhaust manifold, so i might as well replace the intake/exhaust gasket

i might as well paint the intake too

I might as well pull the valve cover to fix that pesky leak

I might as well paint the valve cover, too.

As long as its so easy to get to, i might as well put in a block heater in one ofthose freeze plugs

You know, i might as well put on these tie rod ends, too.

As i go under to put on the tie rod ends, i snag my hand on the peeling chrome. I might as well take off this F^%king bumper, wanted to swap it out since day one

you know, as long as im swapping the front bumper, i might as well swap the rear tiawan chrome bumper for a factory step bumper.

While im under the back ofthe truck, i discover remants of a camper style mudflap and some random brackets. Might as well cut them off, too.

You know, i might as well put that 2" reciever i have on too

Oh, the hitch is rusty. Might as well sandblast and paint it.

Noiw the hitch makes the rear bumper look shoddy. might as well pull the step bumper off and paint it.

Might as well swap in this slider out of a 1995, i mean, it's right here.

Time for a break, i'll go sort the shed. whats this?? a mandrel bent 3" tail that will fit this truck? might as well...

You know, as long as im this deep, might as well cut the holes for the tach and the vacuum gauge

You know, i might as well hook up the CD player and speakers...

OK... this needs to stop...

i do have a question tho. i got the intake and front exhaust manifold on, went to put the rear manifold on, and it looks like an ear makes contact with the intake. the ear seems to be non functional on this setup, anyone run into this before??

should i just hack it off or??

Old 09-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
That's exactly how it starts - might as well.

My father used to tell a story about my grandfather. They lived in the southern part of Kansas and Grandma was always asking Grandpa to cut the weeds she could see from her kitchen window. But he never did. One day a hunting buddy asked him why he didn't. He said "What she doesn't know is behind that row of weeds is another row, all the way to the Nebraska line. I'm not even going to start." Some times it is best not to start.

Quick Reply: The Adventures of Clyde