6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Has anyone used Castrol GTX diesel oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone used Castrol GTX diesel oil?

Doing my second oil change since I have had the truck. Went oil shopping again today and found Castrol GTX diesel oil. I never knew Castrol made that. I run Castrol in my cars.

So my question is has anyone run this oil and how does it hold up versus Rotella T6, Delo 400 or Mobil Delvic?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 412 Likes on 273 Posts
I've run their Tection Extra, it's VOA looked good. I know they've had problems getting the brand acceptance with that product so I wonder if they are leveraging the GTX brand recognition and just repackaging??

I never did any UOAs on the Tection, they had some incredible rebates when they brought it out, made the price like $7 a gallon irrc...

Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought four gallons at O'Reilly for $11.99/Gallon with a $5.00 rebate per gallon. I'll use it at the next oil change. Growing up with British cars, we always used Castrol probably for no other reason than everyone did. It was good oil.

I've used non synthetic Rotella, Mobil, Chevron and Motorcraft in the truck and really haven't noticed any difference over the last ten years. I expect the Castrol will run as well based on their overall reputation.

Come to think of it, I have never had a problem with any major branded oil I've used over the years though the racing guys got down and out on Quaker State a few years back. I did work for Atlantic Richfield in the 1980's and when they were reorganizing the building in Philadelphia, I ended up in a temporary desk next to a customer service guy for oil. His whole day was spent talking to customers with problems using the ARCO Graphite oil. Needless to say, I never used it.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:33 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Texas Bob
I bought four gallons at O'Reilly for $11.99/Gallon with a $5.00 rebate per gallon. I'll use it at the next oil change. Growing up with British cars, we always used Castrol probably for no other reason than everyone did. It was good oil.

I've used non synthetic Rotella, Mobil, Chevron and Motorcraft in the truck and really haven't noticed any difference over the last ten years. I expect the Castrol will run as well based on their overall reputation.

Come to think of it, I have never had a problem with any major branded oil I've used over the years though the racing guys got down and out on Quaker State a few years back. I did work for Atlantic Richfield in the 1980's and when they were reorganizing the building in Philadelphia, I ended up in a temporary desk next to a customer service guy for oil. His whole day was spent talking to customers with problems using the ARCO Graphite oil. Needless to say, I never used it.
Ha ha ha! I worked for Chevron myself, but back in the day I ran the ARCO graphite in everything. I had a major motor-head friend that talked it up, but it wasn't 'til years later he told me he never used it . I probably talked to or corresponded with your officemate, I had bought a new VW GTi and wondered if it was ok for break-in. It was always so weird pouring pitch black (with a touch of silver) oil in your engine doing an oil change. I still have a pict of me and a friend adjusting valves on a Chevy 4 banger in a boat I had, you had to do it running and my ex-wife shot this pict of us just splattered all over with black Arco Graphite

Sorry for the off topic... That just took me back a bit

Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
I didn't dig too deep, but found posts over on BITOG going back to 2006 on this same subject (the two were out in the US at the same time then). I looked at Castrol's website and the only thing that stood out to me was that they list the GTX Diesel under Passenger Car products and Tection Extra under Commercial products.

I might see if there are any VOA's out there lurking around on each...

Old 09-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Texas Bob
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
When I was at O'Reilly, I had them check both UPC's for the two Castrol diesel oils. The UPC's were the same.