1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not so true

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Josh Monday
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not so true

Everything I read even on fords web page it states that the new 6.7s have 400 HP the best in class HP and mpg. I just found out that my new F550 as 300 HP wow that's a big difference. I guess its only in the cab and chassis but nobody said that. What they are saying is with the choked back motor it will last longer , my question is Cummings doesn't do that, they drop the HP on the biggest truck that had the greatest gvwr and its going to last longer?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:24 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Ford clearly discloses the HP and torque ratings for all their models. See attached....

The engines in the chassis cab models isn't choked down...it's right where it needs to be for a truck that is expected to perform at max load 100% of the time. Pickup trucks do not have the same requirement so they are rated differently. The dyno procedure is completely different between pickups and chassis cab trucks.

Food for thought....
The 6.7 liter engine that Ford created appears to be designed specifically for the pickup truck segment and also does double duty in the class 4 and 5 markets. It may not be intended to be an actual medium duty engine based on the fact that Ford does not offer that engine in their F-650/750 line up... those trucks get the Cummins ISB engines. There are a lot more factors that determine a trucks capability than just the HP number...

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
2014 Chassis Cab.pdf (1.03 MB, 143 views)
Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I found this in 2 mins of searching Fords site.

2014 Ford Chassis Cab Work Trucks | View Full Specification Library | Ford.com

Clearly states, 300 @ 2800 rpm (6.7L Power Stroke™ Turbo Diesel)

Old 08-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Monday
Everything I read even on fords web page it states that the new 6.7s have 400 HP the best in class HP and mpg. I just found out that my new F550 as 300 HP wow that's a big difference. I guess its only in the cab and chassis but nobody said that. What they are saying is with the choked back motor it will last longer , my question is Cummings doesn't do that, they drop the HP on the biggest truck that had the greatest gvwr and its going to last longer?
Hi Josh,

Welcome to FTE! Couple of thoughts:

First of all Cummins most certainly DOES do that. See my attached file, the Ram 5500 makes 320 HP and 650 ft-lbs of torque, which is a substantial departure from the 385 HP and 850 ft-lbs they advertise in their pickup trucks. And if you look at the horsepower ratings of the Cummins ISB for commercial applications you'll notice how they also don't come close to the 385/850 seen in the light duty trucks.

Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Josh Monday
New User
Don't want to stir the pot but if you got to fords build and price web page that's where I built and optioned my new truck it clearly states that the 6.7 diesel in the super duty trucks have 400 HP and I'm thinking my new f 550 is a super duty at least the badges say that it is. I'm not saying if you Google the HP of a cab and chassis it won't give you the true HP rating but Ford clearly states the greater. Maybe if you dig a little you will find the truth like I did. I think its all a game because Dodge doesn't put a smaller HP motor in their chassis cabs 385 HP and 850 lb-ft no matter what its in ford states 400 HP and 800 lb-ft

Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Dodge doesn't put a smaller HP motor in their chassis cabs 385 HP and 850 lb-ft no matter what its in ford states 400 HP and 800 lb-ft
You aren't understanding. Both Shake-N-Bake and 2000Silverbullet agree that the chassis/cab trucks are rated for less. And I just posted proof that the Ram 5500 is NOT rated for 385/850! It's only 320/650; they most certainly do derate their engines for the larger trucks.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Don't want to stir the pot but if you got to fords build and price web page that's where I built and optioned my new truck it clearly states that the 6.7 diesel in the super duty trucks have 400 HP and I'm thinking my new f 550 is a super duty at least the badges say that it is. I'm not saying if you Google the HP of a cab and chassis it won't give you the true HP rating but Ford clearly states the greater. Maybe if you dig a little you will find the truth like I did. I think its all a game because Dodge doesn't put a smaller HP motor in their chassis cabs 385 HP and 850 lb-ft no matter what its in ford states 400 HP and 800 lb-ft
When I go to the Ford website and scroll down to where it says "Super Duty" the description says 'available 6.7 liter with 400 hp/800tq...". Then click on "build and price" takes me to a screen just for the F-250/350/450 pickup models. On my screen, the cab and chassis models are not listed. I have to click on the Commercial tab in order to build an F-550.

Once in the Commercial portal, then click on the 6.7 liter engine icon and it lists the specs on the right (and plays a video on the left..). The specs show the 300/660 number.....the 'Build and Price" button is top right...

Does the website operate differently on your end?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:06 PM
The Kaz
Senior User
working for a secondary manufacturer I can say that YES there maybe differences between a commercial chassis and ones sold to the public. It has been like this for years. Sometimes its just a case of difference exhausts and engine tunes. The reasons are many such as longevity, emissions standards, PTO idle availability, etc .....

Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Josh Monday
New User
Shake and bake I don't know what site your referring to but I never went to the commercial portal I just started clicking on the truck I wanted it started on their main build and price page and I scrolled down to the cab and chassis section and after choosing it is where the confusion starts

Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Josh Monday
New User
I think everyone is getting the wrong idea I've only got three hundred miles on my truck and I love it I'm just saying its kind of deceiving on the hp deal. I know what I'm going to be doing with my truck not ford just like I wanted the 19,500 lb package you had to go with a 488 gear I'm most of the time pulling a 4000 lb car I don't need the 488 gear it's equals poor mpg and more engine wear with the higher revs and that's not going to make it last longer the cylinder walls are only good for so many strokes before it wore out so reving the heck out of its not doing it any good

Old 08-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Shake and bake I don't know what site your referring to but I never went to the commercial portal I just started clicking on the truck I wanted it started on their main build and price page and I scrolled down to the cab and chassis section and after choosing it is where the confusion starts
This is the one I used:
New Trucks from Ford | Gas and Diesel Pickup Trucks for Work or Play | Ford.com

There is no Chassis Cab option on that page...just Super Duty pickups.
Which website did you order from? There are a few other ways to order a truck but they are for customers with fleet accounts.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Josh Monday
New User
I went to the link you posted shake and bake and on my computer there is a cab and chassis section farther down the page at least on my computer

Old 08-29-2013, 07:47 PM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
I think everyone is getting the wrong idea I've only got three hundred miles on my truck and I love it I'm just saying its kind of deceiving on the hp deal. I know what I'm going to be doing with my truck not ford just like I wanted the 19,500 lb package you had to go with a 488 gear I'm most of the time pulling a 4000 lb car I don't need the 488 gear it's equals poor mpg and more engine wear with the higher revs and that's not going to make it last longer the cylinder walls are only good for so many strokes before it wore out so reving the heck out of its not doing it any good
Why did you pick that truck to tow a 4k car???

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM
RBlac
Senior User
Josh, I can see how one could be misled. It seems that a lot of folks on here knew the difference in (what seems to be same engine) HP rated for each series of truck. I wouldn't have known that, hopefully would have caught it though. While to my brain it doesn't make much sense to me why an engine capable of 400HP/800TQ would be "tuned" to make less than that from the factory. But, there have been some decent answers explaining that.

Thanks for the post though, I learned something and maybe a few others will gain the knowledge because of this thread.

Unfortunately though, I won't be buying a new 6.7 anytime soon, so not to worry.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Josh Monday
New User
2nd stroke its called gcwr or stopping ability. Sure a 350 will pull the same as a 550 ( well I guess the 350 will out pull the 550 lol) but you get into trouble on a wrecker when you hang 3000 ibs 60 inches past the rear axle. You not only add 3000 ibs of the car or trucks weight of the axle that is lifted you have to add the removal of front axle transfer weight to the rear end also. So with that a wrecker has to have very strong frames, brakes, and high axle weights on the rear axle.

Quick Reply: not so true