1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Just picked up my first diesel E350

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM
Johnny AV
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just picked up my first diesel E350

Shes a 1993 E350 7.3 Diesel I am going to put her to work for my AV business. Picked her up yesterday, she needs a new alternator and a couple of tires. Came with shelves, a cage and heavyduty rear bumper and ladder racks (which might be for sale soon).

Runs strong, trans was replaced a year ago.

Any tips or recommendations on high output alternators?

I plan on running an inverter to run my laptop and charge drills/tools and run a small air compressor. I also want to add some external lighting, upgrade the stereo and possibly a rearview backup camera. Shes got 2 batteries so I was contemplating a solar panel on the roof for some extra charging power and possibly one more battery inside the cabin.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
I took my stock 130 into a shop that had been rebuilding them for 35 years, the guy rebuilt it and tuned it to give everything it could, I don't have a number, just said the case size wouldn't go any further, I've seen 200+ amp alternators the same size. It keeps up 2 batteries, one is directly connected to my stereo system and wheelchair lift, which uses a lot of power, and I often enter/exit with the engine running, you can tell by the pitch of the motor on that lift it's getting a lot of power vs when the battery alone runs it. I ran a 4 gauge wire from the front to the rear battery, anything less limits the amperage back there, and I have a lot on it. FYI it puts so much that it'll burn up a deep cycle, you overheat the plates continually charging them from an alternator, they require a special device to cycle the charge, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it's enough to blow the top off an Optima!

Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Van for anything E350/Diesel, just like those Ambulances with dual Alternators and Battery bank setups, just think of all the extra heavy duty parts that can be had.....Hmmm

Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Johnny AV
New User
Hey thanks for the input Maples! So does it have some kind of external voltage regulator? BTW checked your van pics, nice speaker box/bassbin in the back did you make the lower one yourself? How are Optima batteries? I ordered a new 130 alt for now, and I am looking at putting a pair of 100w solar panels on the roof. I will either mount them to the existing ladder racks, or sell them and get a different heavy duty rack for the roof. Also dug out a old CB and antenna I had that was in storage, and looking at air horns. Turns out it already has a decent stereo installed, it just needs a separate amp and sub box (which I will make removable) for some boom. also planning on ripping out the shelves in the back and building a small storage unit behind the drivers seat to hold a cooler along with a fold out desk so I can use my laptop with a folding chair in the back if I need to, mobile office style.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Johnny AV
New User
Does anyone know any tricks to get adhesive from the previous owners graphic decals off the sides?

Also what is the largest wheel tire combo I can run without lifting it?

How can I add a rear seat?

Old 08-23-2013, 04:39 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 89 Likes on 85 Posts
My boxes are custom built and tuned for the speakers in them, I believe they are 35hz. They have an internal regulator, you can upgrade by putting a larger wire on the batt terminal of the alternator and running it to the battery to increase amps carried, I've not felt the need tho. A guy I was discussing buying an Optima with, they've gone down hill, not as good as they once were, he had one explode in the rear of his van. There is a rack setup that covers the entire top of the van, you can stand on it, I have seen some utility vans with it, they use it for a deck, too much weight for me, wind resistance too, mileage killer, as if you get any now.
Stock tire 245/75 is 31" in diameter, the larger 265 hits the wheel well in the front when you turn, requiring a coil spaces, alignment and camber shims to correct it.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 PM
jimbbski
Elder User
3m Adhesive remover or Goof Off. Similar products. Test on the paint in a area that won't show before you go to town on the old goop but from my experience it shouldn't affect the paint.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 PM
Johnny AV
New User
Thanks for the replies guys!

A buddy of mine has a sign shop and he recommended this stuff

to get the adhesive off.

Rapid Remover - Adhesive Remover - Quart - Sign Supplies and Equipment

I ordered a bottle, so when I try it I will let you know how it turns out.

Maples I will definitely steer clear of Optima now.
Thanks for the heads up on that!

I will be posting pics of the various projects I get into on this van in the near future.

Do they make turbo kits for this 7.3?

Does anyone have any expertise on running these diesel engines on SVO?

was looking at these systems http://www.frybrid.com/index.htm

after reading this http://www.caranddriver.com/features...-vegetable-oil

Just weighing out my options to upgrade. Possibly save on fuel.

was looking at this roofrack to mount the solar panel on

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400482651141...84.m1423.l2649

Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 AM
OSHS
Senior User
I run an 01 E-350 V-10 XLT 15-passenger van that I converted into a mobile office/workshop. I had tried nearly every H.O. alternator out there that wasn't horribly expensive, and trashed them all (along with several batteries). I run a www.12-voltair.com compressor, laptop, laser printer, multiple 4' fluorescent lights (like you would see in an office building) and other electronic equipment powered by a 5000W inverter.

I finally got tired of trashing alternators & batteries, so I went with a 275amp DC Power alternator. What great investment it has been. Not cheap ($500-$600), but for the price of all the HO cheap ones, it more than makes up for it. I even had a local shop rebuild one of my stock alternators to 200amps...that didn't even last 6 months.

And remember, I do ALL my work at idle, and all the so-called HO stock-case alternators just cannot put out the power I need at idle. If you need a lot of power at idle, you will almost certainly have to go to a non-stock case alternator. You can read the details of why on a few websites.

Customer service at DC Power was top notch, too. It has been several years and haven't had a single problem, nor do I expect to.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

FWIW, I only run one battery, an Optima Red Top. The alternator allows me to get away with not adding a second battery.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
OSHS I'm using the Thin-Lite LED fixtures inside my work van. Previously I too was using that same brand's fluorescent fixtures which were great. I'm pulling no more than 1.2 amps for the 46" version of their lowest profile assembly that has at least the same lumen output as T-12 tubes. Overall they're a huge advantage over the fluorescent versions----give them a look sometime. (I'm using their model #LED1743BKP and the same in a 22" version too.)

Those DC Power alternators--WOW! While they seem quite well suited to the higher power needs they don't seem to offer much for E-Series if not 7.3 Diesel equipped. In your experience is anything offered for the V8 5.4?

Old 08-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Johnny AV
New User
Wow OSHS those DC alts are spendy, I will definitely go with one when I can get the cash together. I ordered a cheap new one for now to get the van on the road. I plan on upgrading the interior lighting with white LED strips that I will install into a acrylic shell to protect them and attach them to the ceiling with magnets.

OSHS can you post a few pics of your setup to give me some ideas and inspiration?

JWA those Thin-lite fixtures are sweet! Yet another piece to add to my want/wish list!

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 08-24-2013, 09:36 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny AV

JWA those Thin-lite fixtures are sweet! Yet another piece to add to my want/wish list!
I'll post a few photos of them during day and lit up at night too---talk about sweet.

FWIW I've had several of the Thin-Lite T-12 tube fixtures since 1992 or so and apart from replacing the tube sockets they've been flawless ever since. They're now in their third vehicle.

Not cheap but they are a one time purchase and just as I've done they can be used in any number of different vehicles.