1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone get Ziebart undercoating done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 AM
98woody
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
anyone get Ziebart undercoating done?

I was wondering if anyone had ziebart done for undercoating and rustproofing? Im a rust freak I hate the smallest pot even on the axle or springs so Im looking to get the new truck done 110% with something that will last. I will annually spray fluid film before winter also to help with corrosion but im looking for any experience people have had with undercoating. Im located in the North East in New York State with lots of road salt and sand/salt mix on local roads.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Ziebart is still in business? I haven't heard anyone chat about them since the 90s....

Old 08-22-2013, 07:49 AM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And it was a waste of money then!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM
ontariofarmer
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Krown rust control is big around here.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To my understanding, Ziebart is still here in the midwest. I personally have no experience with them.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 AM
KenRebF-250
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
We have a Ziebart near us. I just had them do some window tinting on our truck for me.

It seems, at least with our location, that they are doing a lot more window tinting and spray-on bed liners, etc. than rust proofing.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:22 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The one near me handles a number of different aftermarket add-ons.

This topic can be equated to the great gas vs. diesel debate. Some people swear by rust proofing, some think it causes more problems (trapping water) than doing good.

My truck went right from the dealer over to Ziebart for the undercoating. I saw what happened to my 2000 after my first year here in Pittsburgh and I wasn't about to let that happen with my '11. With that said, the only rusted items on my truck right now (that I can see) are my Rancho 9000's and my driveshaft. Everything else has had a coating on it since "birth". They also recommend an annual maintenance of the initial application, which is like $35. Even if it's snake oil, it provides me with a sense of security that SOMETHING'S protecting my truck...

If you search the 6.7 forum, I think there's a thread in there about it as well.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:39 AM
98woody
Tuned
How did it come out is it a flat black soft coating? Are you happy?

Old 08-22-2013, 11:46 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ziebart...Yes flat black coating. Annual free touch-ups were included in the initial purchase and are required to keep the warranty. Looks great smells like sheet. Tell them to make sure they cover up those pretty stainless Bilsteins or Ranchos or they will get hit with the black goo too. My 08 SD was used and didn't have any undercoating. It was starting to rust. I believe they should all have something on them from the factory at minimum something like LPS or Ospho or something to get down into the seams and bare unprotected metal. I have one of those electronic inhibitors on a 95 GC Jeep. Its just now starting to pop in all the usual places but its 18+ years old and driven in the salt belt. The sacrificial anode systems work well if installed properly. Bottom line is the guys who don't live in the salt belt will tell you its a waste of time. On the contrary if you do. Ever seen an under carriage after driving through snow, slush, salt? Very ugly! You guys in Arizona have no worries
As a side note. You or Ziebart need to pull the tail lights and soak the wheel well seam where the quarter meets the inner but pull the sponge like material out first. Nother nice design henry! And they've been at it since this box was designed....sponge in a wheel well really!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:27 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
No rustproofing is 'forever', so a yearly inspection by you or them is a very good idea. Your truck will surely rust out without some kind of intervention on your part, based on where you live. Make sure that anything they apply stays soft and gooey.

I drilled 1" holes in my inner fenderwells in the box, so that I could shoot oil into the outer fenderwell lips where the dreaded "water/salt holding foam" is installed by Ford. I drowned that area in ATF, shot from a pump oil can. I couldn't find a good way to access that wheel lip area except by drilling hole, which I plugged with 1" plastic plugs from Ace Hardware.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 AM
98woody
Tuned
I had a coating done on my 2007 new its more of a hard shell satin finish. What I di like about the hardshell is it holds no moisture like a paint finish. Slop just runs off, the hardshell finish allowed me to apply Fluid Film froma spray guy without impacting the adhesion. That's my big concern is I like the Fluid Film after the rustproofing, BUT once fluid film is applied there is no paint or a undercoating that will ever stick again. It will always fish eye.

That sponge in the box wheel well is still there? Can I pull it out with a hook and wire?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Hotrod70d
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my ford dealer took care of the undercoating and paint protection when i bought the truck part of the deal. there is a ziebart still here in pa.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:13 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 98woody
I had a coating done on my 2007 new its more of a hard shell satin finish. What I di like about the hardshell is it holds no moisture like a paint finish. Slop just runs off, the hardshell finish allowed me to apply Fluid Film froma spray guy without impacting the adhesion. That's my big concern is I like the Fluid Film after the rustproofing, BUT once fluid film is applied there is no paint or a undercoating that will ever stick again. It will always fish eye.

That sponge in the box wheel well is still there? Can I pull it out with a hook and wire?
Yes as far as I know its still there. Maybe the 2013/14 guys can pipe up. I used a variety of tools to gouge as much out as possible. Then took it back to Ziebart. I told them to pull the tail lights and soak down the problem area. I want to see it running down both sides of the inner. I didn't realize this was a problem area until it was too late. I wash the hell out of mine daily in the winter. So I accelerated it...nice huh? I didn't know about the foam/sponge until I saw a bubble popping in my 4 year old truck with 60K on the clock! To say Im PO'ed at Henry is an understatement. I'm an engineer...so it makes ZERO sense as to why or what the rational is to put a sponge in a wheel well of a 4x4...really??? You'd think Ford would not like the publicity of rotted quarters in such a short period of time. "Look everyone at my nearly new 40K truck with rot holes in it!" Aint they pretty! I now will be forced to cut the rot out make the repairs and reshoot the whole quarter. What do ya think the chances are of me matching the paint...

Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM
98woody
Tuned
Ive been lucky on my 07 I flush it with lots of water. Should I try and remove as much sponge as possible before undercoating?

On a side note I went to ziebart they offered to spray chassis saver instead of undercoating or undercoat over the chassis saver. How is this stuff?

Old 08-29-2013, 02:09 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I put it on my Ranger and I love it so far. I rolled it on instead of spraying it. It bonds to rust, you just have to get all the loose rust off and get it clean and oil free. I rolled and brushed it on instead of spraying it.

Quick Reply: anyone get Ziebart undercoating done?