General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Road trip across country tips? CB or no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:54 PM
wastingas
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip across country tips? CB or no?

I'm leaving hawaii in the spring after a long 3yr tour! I'm planning on shipping my truck (03 Navigator 4x4 w/ lots of love) to LA and trekking the country back to the East coast (hoping thats the new home location). I've never traveled that area of the country, any pit stops or must see places in route? Right now I plan to sliding through Vegas, hit Hover Dam (see if i can get some dam bait!) then hit 66 and take in some good history.

The other thing I'm thinking about is if i should get a CB. It looks like a useful tool for avoiding accidents and road problems? worth it?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 AM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There isn't all that much chatter on the CB any more other than truckers, but on long trips it is fun to to listen in on there conversations they have some pretty good story's!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
I think I'd have a satellite radio for non stop music and news, a good GPS and my cell phone.

Have a safe trip!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,701 Likes on 1,137 Posts
here is my self guided route 66 directions for Arizona.

Entering Arizona from the East.

First cool spot is the Petrified Forest, mostly self guided tour and a few gift shops. Defiantly worth the stop enter the park at mile 311, you can exit out the south side and take hwy 180 back to I40 / rt66 in Holbrook.

Next stop is Winslow, only to take a picture of you “standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine site to see ….”

Next stop is Meteor Crater Exit 233 go South on meteor crater road, no personal experience here as I have only flown over it.

Next stop is Flagstaff, business 40 is the old 66, kind of un kept some tourist stuff the only highlight I can think of is the Museum Club never been there personally but they are supposed to have a really nice dance floor, been on TV a few times and occasionally some known singers show up there.

Next stop is Williams Known as the gateway to the Grand Canyon. Take the time to go to the Ditch if you have never been there, helicopter tours are the best, if not at least drive up and look over the edge. Also from Williams you can ride the Historic train to the Canyon. While staying in Williams, note this was the last town on route 66 to be by-passed by I 40. check out Cruiser café 66 it is a renovated gas station with plenty of 66 décor, they used to have 25 cent taco Tuesday nights back when I worked at the canyon but that was years ago.

Next is Welch rd exit go north about ¼ to ½ mile then turn back to the west on the really rough black top road (this is the original Mother road) as you go west there is a couple of unmarked dirt roads that go North, I don’t remember which one but one of them goes to stone dam which is a good crappie lake. From there continue west to Monte Carlo and back on I40.

Next stop is Ash Fork, the flag stone capitol of the world a couple miles of RT66 through town then back on to I 40

Next is Exit 139 just west of Ash Fork puts you back on to RT 66, Make plans to stop at the Grand Canyon Caverns and take the tour it is well worth the money.

Next is Kingman never spent much time there so I don’t know the historic value of it?
Sorry self guided here I do know however you should have dinner at the Dam Bar Steak House.

Next exit 44 west of Kingman puts you back on RT 66 and goes through the mining town of Oatman, lots of tourist stuff here, “wild” burrows roam the town, (they like potato chips) there are some mine tours and other adventures here. After that south toI40 and the kalifornia border (not my territory)

If you are entering Arizona from the west just turn this upside down!
Bart

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think I'd have a satellite radio for non stop music and news, a good GPS and my cell phone.

Have a safe trip!

Double ditto...

With that much drive time I would get a BIG screen GPS like this:

Magellan RoadMate 9250T-LMB

I have this for my '70 Nova and er, umm...'05 GMC and it works pretty good. The other cars have factory nav.

I, also, have the back up camera. Great rear view image but, sometimes it projects the image upside down.

Good luck with your trip and keep us updated when you start. There are many FTE folks along your route.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:40 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're going thru there, don't miss the ditch. There is no substitute for seeing it in person. Nothing man-made can capture it and do it justice.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:48 PM
wastingas
Senior User
Bart, thanks for the tips, I forgot about the petrified forest, I told my wife its full of excited old timers! hahaha. I like the Eagles reference, I'm excited to make this trip I've never seen this ditch so it should be a good time.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
wastingas
Senior User

Have a safe trip!
Thanks Seekins Semper Paratus brother, I already have all those accessories! Always looking for the next best thing. (I'm hoping to score a river tender in your side of the country)

Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
rainbow stu
Junior User
CB radio's don't have much range. If all you want is the traffic report I'd stick with the AM radio. You can get a good antenna and a signal amplifier for not a lot of money.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:46 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by wastingas
Thanks Seekins Semper Paratus brother, I already have all those accessories! Always looking for the next best thing. (I'm hoping to score a river tender in your side of the country)
A river tender on the East Coast? Do they still exist back here? Unless you intend to travel up and down the intercoastal waterway between Va and Fla.

There are 157's all over the place, in fact the Frank Drew is in Portsmouth, Va.

Good luck to ya brother and be safe!!

Old 08-22-2013, 11:11 PM
wastingas
Senior User
A river tender on the East Coast? Do they still exist back here? Unless you intend to travel up and down the intercoastal waterway between Va and Fla.

There are 157's all over the place, in fact the Frank Drew is in Portsmouth, Va.

Good luck to ya brother and be safe!!
Sure do! I got my eyes on 2 in Buchanan, TN. but there still all over the place. (Never been to TN, it sounds nice though). Sea going buoy boats are second on my list.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by wastingas
Sure do! I got my eyes on 2 in Buchanan, TN. but there still all over the place. (Never been to TN, it sounds nice though). Sea going buoy boats are second on my list.
Yes of course, but I thought you said the east coast. Should be a fun ride, I've had a few buddies that rode them in Idaho and Tenn and loved the duty.