Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know... my truck doesn't have problems with hot starts,
so maybe no need to be sorry!

Scott

Old 08-08-2004, 10:57 PM
zwinstead
Senior User
my 460 sucks the gas so fast it dont have time to vaporize!!!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 AM
kevin e. cunningham
New User
i have saw it stated my someones parts manager that if carb is starving for fuel then you should use .040 ( blue dot) vapor separator. pn#E3TZ 9N176B is this correct? it would make sence to me to go with a larger orfice (.060 red dot )which will allow more fuel to enter carb. as aposed to restricting the flow with a smaller orfice!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:47 AM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
also the redneck fix for vapor lock is put a old wooden clothesline pin on the metal fuel line.

I always sold the E3TZ9N176A .060 orfice used to sell a bunch of these years ago.

Ed

Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
kevin e. cunningham
New User
thanks ed for the redneck fix i had herd that remedie before. but my ford is simply running out of fuel and the e3tz9n176a is the part that i used . i have installed a 5-8 psi fuel pump to see if this will help. old pump was 2.2-4.4 psi

Old 07-29-2008, 05:10 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
they had a .090 at one time but was used only on really bad fuel starvation. but that one is obsolete EOTZ9N176B

Ed

Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 AM
kevin e. cunningham
New User
hey ed after installing the bigger fuel pump my ford runs fine! old pump could have been a little weak but was close according to my pressure guage which showed 3.5 to 4.5 psi at the pump but only 1.5 psi on the carb. side vapor sep. orfice. so a half pound or so does make a difference!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 AM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
very cool, glad it's back running again.

Ed

Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 AM
rolape2
Senior User
Hot fuel schematics

Does anyone have the schematics for the hot fuel option. I just bought an 84 F350 with the 460 and hot fuel option. Some very poor rewiring under hood. and an aftermarket fuel pump sitting under air cleaner on top of manifold. need to fix stock wiring. Bought the Haynes manual, doesn't show the wiring for the electric fuel pumps.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Try a search for "hot fuel option". Different areas have info; 80-86, 385 engines, fuel systems, etc.. These are posted in a couple other spots on FTE, but here's a couple versions. There are some questions about the color coding (not the diagram), I haven't seen a significant difference but want you to be aware of it. "Hot Fuel" 460's have dual tanks with in tank electric pumps, return flow, inertia & oil pressure switchs ... most of which didn't appear on other Ford trucks until later on.

The first is from an '84 Truck Shop Manual:

This one was created by subford and was drawn for an '83 model. For me it makes the whole "process" much easier to understand.

For more detail I have these posted on a photo host and you can zoom in and possibly print larger copies.

Ford Truck Schematics & Diagrams pictures from rides photos on webshots

Good luck with it, sounds like a mess.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 PM
rolape2
Senior User
Hot fuel wiring

Thanks, that should allow me to fix everything. had dual tanks, guy said he just used front, Yeah because back is missing. looks like he cut the brown wire to rear and spliced to fix pump, Huh no tail lights. Got the lights working now for the pump. It probably worked at night with lights on.
What fun is life with out challenges?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by rolape2
What fun is life with out challenges?

Glad to help. Like your attitude! Go for it. If you need some help just ask. Lots of help here.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Antique
New User
Fuel Starvation '84 F-250 4x4 460 4bblCarb

Good Morning,

My old F-250 (127000) sits a lot. I can start it by priming the carb, It runs ok for a while (5-10-15 mins) then starves for fuel. I open the hood, remove the air cleaner, pour a little gas in the carb, she starts up and the cycle repeats. Rear tank no longer operable (selector switch went inop, then the tank rusted out. She used to make the round trip (15mi) to the dump and back, but now its a few blocks and stop, a few blocks and stop...??

Pumps are in tank. I'd like to keep her going (had the truck since new in '84). So I guess my question is:

Would a new fuel pump probably solve the problem? Is there another reason for the run/starve cycle.?

Any suggestion/help appreciated

Anthony

Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Antique
Would a new fuel pump probably solve the problem?

Is there another reason for the run/starve cycle.?
Fuel pump ... maybe.

I'd start by checking all the fuel filters or look for some other flow restriction to the carb. When you disconnect the fuel line to check the stone filter use a jumper as was discussed and carefully flow fuel into a container and see what kind of volume you're getting. Clyde would starve out with the NAPA replacement pump when under load.

Maybe it's the carb. When was the last rebuild?

Low oil pressure cutting out the pump?
Faulty oil pressure sensor?
Bad fuel pump relay .... corroded connections on relay?
A jumper should bypass these problems. On one vacation we made it home the last 100-some miles on a jumper.

Gotta be some other suggestions out there ......

Old 09-21-2010, 09:47 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to resurrect this thread again. Lots of good info so far, plus fantastic diagrams.

My '82 E-350 w/460 dual tanks is surging on the back tank, like it's not getting enough fuel. It's got a Carter carb, which I guess isn't stock. It runs OK on the front tank. I'm looking for all the fuel filters so I can change them out. I bought it at 53K miles in 2001, now has 81K miles.

1. at the carb - a stone filter is listed on RockAuto, but since it's a Carter I'm guessing it doesn't have one????
2. At the Fuel/vapor separator - I've been fooled by this before, and had to buy a new one 20K miles ago since it looked like a filter and I tore it apart.
3. On the main fuel line, along the inner frame, is a Fram G-2 filter. I've changed this several times, but it never looks that dirty. I'm guessing it was added by a previous owner the same time as the Carter carb.
4. In the tanks, suction filters on the inlets to the in-tank electric pumps. I've never done anything with these, and I bet neither have the other previous owners. I park on a slight hill, and the fuel seems to flow back into the tanks after a while. If I'm parked for a week, it takes about 15 seconds to get fuel. This means that the pump suction filter is getting back-flushed, perhaps?

Quick Reply: Hot Fuel option? 460 carb