Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Big Block V8 - 385 Series (6.1/370, 7.0/429, 7.5/460) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum53/)
-   -   Hot Fuel option? 460 carb (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/126254-hot-fuel-option-460-carb.html)

Inwywind 06-15-2003 12:17 AM

Hot Fuel option? 460 carb

My haynes manual mentions a Hot fuel system. Does anyone have info on what that is?

8 Lugs 06-15-2003 07:29 PM

This is not an option. It comes standard with the 460 option.
The fuel pump in the tank is a low pressure pump capable of 25 gph @ 4.3 psi. It sends fuel to this little gizmo by the carb called the vapor separator. This works by pressure. What the carb doesn't need, it sends back to the fuel tank. The idea behind this is it keeps a constant supply of cool gasoline available to the carb available at all times eliminating vapor lock and other maladies.
Remember, these trucks were built to work!
Good Luck!

Inwywind 06-15-2003 11:03 PM

Great info thanks!!!!!

ClydeSDale 06-19-2003 06:37 PM

Vapor lock was a real problem with these engines, especially with high ambient temperatures. I locked up on a 100+* day in Nebraska, took about three hours before it would run again.

Cycling fuel back through the tank would definetly help. A hard working 460 generates a LOT of heat under the hood. As a "band-aid" Ford provided some fuel line insulating material that literally snapped around the fuel lines at the top of the engine. I was luck enough to find a mechanic that had some left over from the recall and Clyde's fuel line is now wrapped and insulated. We'll see if it helps on our next trip to Colorado with the camper ... I just know it won't hurt.

dave98 06-21-2003 11:51 AM

What years came with the hot fuel setup?

Would my 1982 e350 with 460 have it?

Thanks

Dave

82F100SWB 06-21-2003 07:21 PM

Best I can tell, it's 83- EFI(Mid 87) that have it. It's possible that an 82 E-Series would have it too, I don't have Ford manuals for an 82, I know that 82 F-Series didn't, but, they didn't get the 460 either. Easiest way to tell is Hot Fuel trucks have 2 fuel lines, and the vapour seperator, and no mechanical pump, trucks without it have a mechanical pump.
http://www.bigblocksix.com/f100swb/f250/may03/460kn.jpg
If you look just to the left and below the coil, you will see both fuel lines and the seperator.(yes, I know things are dirty in that pic, had 6 engine fires thanks to to the old Holley..... It's not bad though, you should see the bottom of it... front main seal was installed improperly, and the oil pan was loose, and I didn't have time to fix... 4 gallons of oil in 8000 miles.....)
Evan

austynn2001 05-30-2004 01:11 PM

hey 82F100SWB, i see you removed those two pumps but kept the things coming from the exhaust manifolds.could you try to explain how you did that without screwing with the fuel vapor return line stuff? thanks, Austynn

82F100SWB 05-30-2004 02:12 PM

That's the way it was when I got it...
The fuel system isn't tied to the emissions system at all. Other than the fuel bowl vents that feed into the carbon cannisters, and, with an aftermarket carb, those don't have to be hooked up either.
My truck has 0 emissions components functional, no EGR, no AIR, no vacuum controlled crap, nothing... I have a grand total of 5 vacuum lines ...

gahogue 07-02-2004 09:31 AM

my 1987 f350 tows a 33ft 5 th wheel with a geo tracker behind and i have had problems with surging when going up hills bobcat pass 9800ft so i have put a carter elect pump on the driver side firewall with the in tank pumps delivering fuel to it i also put a large fuel filter and a purorlator pressure regulator bedore the carb i have eliminated the vapor regulator every thing worked fine untill this trip surging again i was told ford had two vapor reg one for fuel starvation problems does any one know

Clifford II 08-02-2004 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 8 Lugs
This is not an option. It comes standard with the 460 option.
The fuel pump in the tank is a low pressure pump capable of 25 gph @ 4.3 psi. It sends fuel to this little gizmo by the carb called the vapor separator. This works by pressure. What the carb doesn't need, it sends back to the fuel tank. The idea behind this is it keeps a constant supply of cool gasoline available to the carb available at all times eliminating vapor lock and other maladies.
Remember, these trucks were built to work!
Good Luck!

My 86 F250 460/C6 doesn't have this "option"... It doesn't have any
gizmo called the vapor separator on it.

Scott

ClydeSDale 08-02-2004 11:37 AM

Whoaaa, this is a flash from the past!

Since '03 I've learned a little more about this whole thing myself. 8 Lugs was right on. Closer examination says I do have what is know as a "hot fuel option". What I've found is the little "T" valve in the line in front of the carb is the vapor seperator 8 Lugs was referring to.

I've been fooling around with ways to keep my carb bowl from drying out and varnishing up when the truck is parked for a while. I added a switch to the inertia safety circuit and now run the bowl dry if I'm not going to use it for a week or so. As a result I need to recharge the lines to avoid long cranking times. I run a jumper from the battery+ to the line off the solenoid that powers the elect. fuel pump(s) during cranking and let the pump run while I'm chjecking oil, etc. I can actually hear the fuel circulating through this "T" during my priming process.

If there are two fuel lines coming up the front of the engine and one going into the carb the engine has the so named ... but standard equipment ... "hot fuel option". According to our parts guy this was used on carb'd E & F 250's and 350's from 1983 to 1989.

Roger

Clifford II 08-02-2004 04:05 PM

My truck is an 86 F-250 w/ a 460/C6 combo... doesn't have
this standard option... wonder if it's been removed?

My truck runs a mechanical pump...

Scott

ClydeSDale 08-02-2004 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Clifford II
My truck is an 86 F-250 w/ a 460/C6 combo... doesn't have
this standard option... wonder if it's been removed?

My truck runs a mechanical pump...

Scott

AHAH! Does not appear on mechanical's, only with the electric's.

The parts screen gives two views of the carb/fuel lines ... one mechanical, one electric. No "hot fuel option" on the mechanicals.

Should I say I'm sorry????? :-X21

I might add that there are two different orfices available for this piece, .060 and .040. The note says to use the smaller one if the carb is starving for fuel or experiencing a power loss. Part #s are E3TZ 9N176B (blue dot, .040) and E3TZ 9N176A (red dot, .060). Our parts manager said many, many were replaced because people thought because they couldn't blow through them they were bad ... 'taint so. There is a natural restriction as part of the vapor removal process.

Clifford II 08-02-2004 05:12 PM

No problem... I was just replying to the other post stating that
the 86 F250 had them as standard equipment...

Scott

ClydeSDale 08-02-2004 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Clifford II
No problem... I was just replying to the other post stating that the 86 F250 had them as standard equipment...

Scott

;) ... actually what I meant was should I express regret that you didn't get one on your truck because it's mechanical??