1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Tach & vacuum gauges

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:09 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tach & vacuum gauges

I'm considering adding the factory tachometer and vacuum gauges that went to the left and right of the 'Round' speedo. They were mounted in those two round spaces to either side of the speedo. They are the ones that are, I think, about 3"+. ??? Not sure. I think they were mounted in the larger trucks - not sure which ones. Someone posted a picture here a while back but I can't seem to find it. I'm not sure if I can even find a set of those gauges. Anyone have a working set???

Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
MR, FYI, Those old FTs with tachs were gear driven not electric like the modern ones. You might want to think on it a bit to make sure that is the path you want to go down.

John

Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Thanks John, I did not know that. Your right, I wouldn't be interested installing one of those tachs. If anyone has one, maybe they could measure the 'can' diameter AND the outer rim (trim face) diameter. I'm also wondering if it is the same size of the new modern tachs.

However, I assume the vacuum gauge operates like a normal vac gauge. When looking at both gauges, when I saw the pic, both gauges look the same size so both holes would be cut the same and look factory. The vac gauge is large for these old eyes and I like the 'factory' look even though it didn't come in a F-100. OR at least I assume it didn't come in a F-100. Hell, back than, they would paint it chev orange with a racing strip if that's how you ordered it. O WELL, people do strange things

If anyone has these gauges, could you measure both of them for me - 'can' size and 'trim ring' size. AND, maybe someone has one of the vac gauges for sell...???

Vac gauges are a great tool to diagnose engine problems. They are also a GREAT tool to fine tune a carburetor while you are operating the vehicle at different speeds and using each power circuit of the carb. I have one temporarily hanging from my rear view mirror. Getting ready to fine tune the carb under different power loads.

Anyway, thank you for that info John. I welcome any other info.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Mattrod68
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you could try and find a faria tach and cup to mount to the dash or column. they were available over the counter from ford when theses trucks were new, and are a less expensive version of the tachs used in factory Hi-Po fords of the same era.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:59 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Yeah, I have a tach mounted to the column in one of my trucks. Trying to get away from that. Don't really want to drill holes on the dash top. Two of my trucks have the metal dash panel with the 'round' speedo. The dash panel has those two round areas, one to each side of the speedo and that's where I'd like to mount a large tach and vac gauge. I'm going to check out some tachs at the local O-Riley's. They have, I think, Sun, Autometer, and one other brand. I think some of them are of the 3"+ size.

What size diameter is the 'can' (body) on your tach shown in the picture? Kind of curious to what size 'can' is on the factory vac gauge.

Anyone have one of those factory tach gauges...?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Blackwaterforge
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
I have a stainless dash from a F-800.
I have a tach and vacuum gauge.
I had the tach converted to electric by D&M Restorations.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
That is SO sweet looking. I have the same dash and stainless piece under it and the same cluster. it was ordered that way by the original owner. I was with him when he ordered it. Just doesn't have the tach and vac gauges.

1. How much was it to convert the original tach and is the company still in business ?
2. Do the gauges mount from behind OR from the front and how do the brackets hold them in ?
3. Don't suppose you have any of ones like those for sale ?
4. I see you have the tach on the right side. Your choice or was the tach originally on the left. I like the tach on the right because you usually have your left hand on the wheel (covering it up from view) and your right hand shifting. In my case I have an auto but still. I remembering seeing a set of those in a larger truck yrs ago and remembering the tach on the left. Just wondering.

You know I had to ask... :O)
Thank you so much for posting the picture. I've been looking for a pic for a long time. AND of course the items.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
After taking a closer look at that tach, you can tell its for a low rev engine. Guess it won't work too good for an engine that revs higher. BUT its still cool. Can't tell from the pic if it mounts from the front or back.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:16 PM
Mattrod68
Tuned
classic instruments will convert it and change the face to rev to a normal level, but it will look stock.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
May I ask about how much it cost to convert the tach? I'm sure it all depends on how much ya want to change it. Just trying to get an 'about'. You can email me if you rather not post. Or not, not a big deal.
Hell, I still need to find the gauges.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:48 PM
Mattrod68
Tuned
i honestly not sure, but ive spoken to them at sema a couple years in a row about it and its a fairly common request.

Welcome to Classic Instruments

very nice people, the above link has a phone number so you could get a rough estimate.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Thanks, my question was actually for 'blackwaterforge'. I'll give Classic Instruments or D&M Restorations a call and maybe get a general feel for the price. Maybe if they see the picture, they might know what it would cost to make a face that looks sim but go to maybe 6 or 7 thousand.
Just need to find the gauges now.
Thank you

Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM
Mattrod68
Tuned
*****Ford 390 fe big block and holy grail of speed parts**** - THE H.A.M.B.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1963-68-Ford-truck-tachometer-NOS-/140713229520?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c3297cd0&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tach-1961-FORD-TRUCK-GAUGE-CLUSTER-1962-1963-1964-1965-tac-/370878414898?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565a138032&vxp=mtr
ouch!!!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Nice new tach. Not cheap, is it. If I get the used one at least I'll have extra gauges. I have that web link to send and see if I can get an 'about' estimate on switching it over.
Thank you.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Blackwaterforge
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Here is a link to D&M. I think the guy I talked to was Mike.
They where not cheap $250-300.00.
I believe Ford made the same tach that went much higher.
Mine was from a diesel. It is fine for the 300 6.
It never goes over 3500.
D&M converted to electric so they could use any rpm you wanted.
They also repainted the face and could change the numbers to suit the tach.
I bought the tach of e-bay.

Carpet, Tires, Trim Part and Classic car gauge restoration services |D&M Restoration

Quick Reply: Tach & vacuum gauges