Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Grand Daddy's Gift to Me Needs Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhaleTailin
Thanks Encho, what do you think about using a Honda radiator with an electric fan mounted in front of the AC. And wouldn't it be better to just bypass the original radiator cooling section. That seems kinda dumb to have trans fluid running through a radiator full of water. If the thing fails there goes $2k. Wow I just saw where you are hailing from. Talking about going that extra mile to be helpful, in your case going that extra 1000 miles. Thanks again and let me know about my Honda Rad Idea
My 95 has a factory external trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. The lines rotted out, and when I re-plumbed it I bypassed the original routing through the radiator, and went right to the trans cooler. No problems yet. In winter climates, the thought is that running through the radiator will help to get the trans fluid up to temp faster. Again, I haven't had an issue with that, even in the sub zero temps we experienced here in New England this past winter.

I'll be honest, the honda radiator idea is a horrible one. Plenty of options for a cooler that are really inexpensive, like less than $100, and will work just fine. Having an electric fan on it would only be helpful in low speed conditions, such as off roading, where there's not enough airflow across the cooler to effectively cool anything. Being that you're in Socal, if you're planning on off roading or some desert runs, a fan may not be a bad idea. Check out summitracing.com or jegs.com for trans coolers. They'll have regular coolers, and coolers with e-fans.

Oh, while you're at it, check and see if your truck came with a factory trans cooler!

Old 08-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think she already has that radiator, then it would cost her nothing except maybe some hose and fittings. Wait, you don't mean a radiator but a cooler, right?. The transmission pump isn't able to supply enough pressure to work with the wide tubbing in a radiator.

Also, regarding the torque converter: all the torque converters in our trucks have drains, just turn the engine one touch at a time (get a friend to hit/release the start) until the drain is aligned with the inspection hole in the bellhousing near the front of the trans. it should have a rubber cap. And I feel you on the ATF bath, that thing is like sand, it gets everywhere... Just keep some rags at hand to clean yourself and your tools, working with slippery tools is a pain and dangerous too.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
It's still a horrible idea, in terms of flow. Radiator hoses, even on a tiny Honda, are way larger than a trans line. And they're made to flow a lot faster than a trans cooler. If the trans fluid passes through the radiator too quickly, it won't get cooled much before going back to the trans.

Plus, there's that whole "used to be a radiator" sediment issue. If it were my truck, I wouldn't trust it.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Check my previous post Bob, I've already clarified and stablished a difference between an ATF/oil cooler and a radiator .

Old 08-16-2013, 03:31 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
I think I'm confused. Not sure if she means an actual radiator... lol.

At any rate, we're getting ahead of ourselves. We don't even know how it drives yet!

Old 08-17-2013, 02:08 AM
WhaleTailin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh Geesh, if I could only work on my truck as fast as you fellas can answer my questions, I will be drivin down the road by Sunday. Okay I looked at some TC on line and the one in my truck doesn't look like the one that is shown for my year and application. ENCHO in regard to my torque converter:
Mine is flat on the side closest to the engine, not like the ones I looked at that are kinda rounded with both sides looking the same. And mine is black with no drain and all the light blue ones I saw have a drain. I'd like a purple one if I have to replace it
As for the honda cooler not radiator (duh) it has a hole in it and the ones at summitracing are nice and shiny Thanks for the info on that Bob.

And for all you FTE members so interested in how my handle came about. (blushing) I am pretty sure that I would get booted off this forum faster than you could say "ohmy". Okay so one of you younger members enlighten the elders.

Okay back to my truck !!! Did some more reading and I need to figure out how to make one of those test harnesses so I can apply voltage to my Solenoids?? I tried to get my hands to work in that small space but 2 things happened. 1 I cant see what my hands are doing up there and 2 I keep getting my hair stuck on the exhaust. Since my truck is a extended cab, can't I just cut a hole in the floor? And one more thing before I head outside. How in the world would I hook up one of those shift light boxes once I made it? Isn't there a connector right below the brake (thing)? fluid that I can get to the wires that goto the connector on the passenger side of my transmission. Crimmening what a lip runner I have become. So many questions. But it is nice to get some experienced input. Thanks All of You !! xoxo

Old 08-17-2013, 03:08 AM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WhaleTailin
And for all you FTE members so interested in how my handle came about. (blushing) I am pretty sure that I would get booted off this forum faster than you could say "ohmy". Okay so one of you younger members enlighten the elders.

Why would you assume that us young"er" members would know that?

None of us actually do, of course...

Now back to the truck...what solenoids are you having to test? If they are trans. solenoids you may be able to pull up your carpet/ mat and remove the bolt-in trans. cover, if you have one.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Krisverde
Elder User
It's when a thong can be seen above the pants.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:36 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Krisverde
It's when a thong can be seen above the pants.
That's a new one on me!

*Hopefully* none of the others (Guys) on here can get that nickname....

Bob...

Old 08-17-2013, 04:39 AM
Krisverde
Elder User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
That's a new one on me!

Bob...

I also call it crackin a smile

Old 08-17-2013, 05:12 AM
WhaleTailin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Krisverde

I also call it crackin a smile
HOW ABOUT THAT I'VE BEEN HIJACKED

Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
That's a new one on me!

Bob...
Hell, even at the ripe elder age of 44 I knew what that meant!

Wes, don't judge man. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:34 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
hell Bob, i'm 57 and know what it means.

and as far as cuttin a hole in the floorboards to access the top of the trans, i say go for it.just make sure the hole is big enough. figure cut about 6 inches from each door, and 6 inches in from the back wall and firewall should give you enough room to access everything. then when you are done fixin it, just weld the floor pan back in the truck.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Bowtie_Schmowtie
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
Wes, don't judge man. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.
Bob, that's so wrong that it's going in my sig forever... too bad there's no smiley for a shiver...

And whatever happened to an appreciation for sarcasm?
Originally Posted by Bowtie_Schmowtie
Why would you assume that us young"er" members would know that?

None of us actually do, of course...
Not to mention discretion...I'm 35 and I know what it means but I didn't think it appropriate to mention since she didn't...

Old 08-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
I'm famous!!!!

Quick Reply: My Grand Daddy's Gift to Me Needs Help!!