6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 Rattling and smoking

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Mudslinger72315
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 6.4 Rattling and smoking

Let me start off by saying I know I have screwed up, I just don't know how bad. My truck is a 2008 with the 6.4 in it. I got it stuck the other day. In trying (unsuccessfully) to get the truck unstuck, I am afraid I may have over revved it or sucked some water through the terrible ford placement of the fresh air intake. It is a lot noisier now than it was before and there is a little bit of blue smoke from the exhaust. I had to leave the truck overnight, with the tailpipe just under water, but not enough that it could have gotten into the motor. When I got the truck home, I had a check air filter light and a check engine light. I popped the air filter out and it was wet. I popped my stock one back in and pushed the reset button. Plugged in my programmer and was getting a EGR flow insuff. code. I have checked the fluids and everything appears to be normal. The truck seems to still have as much power as it did before. This is my first diesel so i am at a loss. The noise kinda sounds like a gas burner does when it has a bad set of lifters or loose rocker arms.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Drain the fuel water separator..matter of fact change the filters now.

Sound injector related to me.

Also put some additive in there for extra lube. Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Mudslinger72315
Senior User
Ok, will do.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Mudslinger72315
Senior User
I checked the water seperator, nothing in there. Now, to the bad news. The turbo started to intermittently not spool up, the the truck started smoking, heavily, thick white cloud with a blue tint to it. Then shortly after that, the turbo stopped completely. Before the turbo stopped, it was going into regen quite often. I pulled the tube from the air box to the front of the turbo, and there was a little oil in front of the impeller. I pulled the lower hose from the inter cooler and almost drowned in oil. I got probably 3 quarts out of it. It is in the process of gravity draining and i am washing the cooler with detergent and hot water. Does anyone make a rebuild kit for the turbos on a 6.4? Also, I am assuming that the cause of this was water flooding into the DPF and restricting the exhaust flow? Especially since I got the "Exhaust gas recirculation flow insuff" code. Does this sound logical? If so, what do I need to do with my DPF because I am sure it is full of oil now?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
the amount of oil is a concern. Nothing to do with the EGR though.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Check oil level, you might need to drain/replace since stuck in regen.

Pull the turbos but clean them yourself and check for damage.

For what is worth will say a pray.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:02 PM
jlrFordFan
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You said the turbo "stopped completely" is it locked up, with the amount of oil you described on the intake side, you may have a failed turbo main bearing. Now the mystery is how to correlate the turbo failure to the water ingestion...are you sure that you didn't suck more water into the intake than just enough to moisten the air filter?

How far have you driven after getting stuck. I assume you we're stuck in the water but was just the rear end sitting in water all night or was the whole exhaust system in the h2o? Were you monitoring any sensors on the drive after you were in water, I'm curious as to your sustained EGT on that drive home.

Gschretter is right, check your engine oil level, if the DPF had water in it and the truck went into a regen but couldn't get the exhaust temp up because of restricted exhaust condition, you could have made a bunch of oil.

Keep posting up dates, hopefully we can help solve your issues

Old 08-19-2013, 11:17 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what about the rattling sound?

I'd be trying to diagnose that before spending time or money on anything else.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:14 AM
Mudslinger72315
Senior User
Wow! Thanks for all the replies.

When I was stuck, the passengers side of the truck was lower than the drivers. The water was just below the step bars, over the exhaust pipe by a couple of inches. The only code I got on the truck was shortly after we got it out and that was the exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient.

As far as the rattling, it never got any worse, as a matter of fact, it seemed to stop when the turbo stopped. The turbo has not locked up, just no boost. It started by having no boost when I would go back to idle, then it would spool up. By the end of the trip, no boost what so ever.

It is loosing oil, never making any, and the oil is not the slightest bit milky. My trip home was 300 miles, and I was buying oil by the gallon.

I was wondering if maybe the oil could have filled the veins on the turbo and thus not allowing it to operate? I am going to try to pull the turbo off this evening.

The truck still runs (Until I started pulling the breather components off) It just has no power due to no turbo.

While I have everything apart, should I remove the DPF and do anything to it? Such as get the oil/water out of it? I am eventually going to do a DPF delete, but after this excursion (screw up) I will have to wait before I can buy the expensive tuner that is required.

Thanks a lot guys, this is definitely a learning experience for me.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:34 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
If there was a huge amount of oil in the DPF, my money is on that it's pooched.
Hopefully I'm wrong.

With the truck off and key off, see if you can pull the turbo actuator by hand.

With the actuator unplugged and truck running, if you pull the actuator rod, you should hear a slight noise difference.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Get someone else to start the truck while you watch the VVT actuator, it should work itself back and forth once.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM
Mudslinger72315
Senior User
Well, the DPF beig done is not a huge deal, like I said, I am planning a delete, but it may have to wait, depending on what the other stuff is going to cost me. I can manually move the arm back and forth. I can't really start the truck because i have started taking it apart.I really think that the abundance of oil from the blown seal is why the turbo stopped boosting, not sure though. It never made any noise or anything, it just stopped boosting and stared smoking heavily.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Just turning the key on should cause the actuator to move back and forth.

Is there a chance that water got in the intake and caused a hydro lock and
bent some rods? Where is the rattling coming from?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Mudslinger72315
Senior User
I seriously do not think that it got very much, if any, water in the engine. From what I could tell when I was driving it, the noise stopped when the turbo stopped. The rattle was very light, more like a lifter than a bent rod. Plus, I put several hundred miles on her after the incident and it had all the power it has ever had, so I would assume if it had bent rods that it would have come apart? Just guessing. Anyway, when I started it to drive it on the trailer to bring it home, I did not notice the rattle. The only thing that sounded out of the ordinary was a hissing like a vacuum leak on the drivers side of the engine, and it had no power without the turbo.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
maybe youre intercooler is full of water?

Quick Reply: 6.4 Rattling and smoking