Sponsored by:

Lower Dash/Ash Tray Area Switch Panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 AM
GamerGirlAlice
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Dash/Ash Tray Area Switch Panel

i know i see them before but was wondering if someone can tell me. its a replace meant panel with 2 gauge holes and 6 switches that replaces a section of the dash neat the ash tray. any one know what im referring too? i want to get for my ex my mechanic is hunting for me now.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's the f650 lower dash kit. The switch panels are aftermarket from various vendors. I think the most popular is riffraff.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Wacenturion
Senior User
Old 08-07-2013, 11:18 AM
GamerGirlAlice
Senior User
Originally Posted by Wacenturion
yes that's it, ty so much. i new i had seen it in here before.

big thanks my friends ill have to get it for Yuki when she arrives. Yuki is going to bee my exs name

Old 08-07-2013, 01:14 PM
ccllud
Senior User
I really like this but with a V-10 im trying to think of uses for 6 switches! What are some common switch uses? (driving lights, outdoor lights, ect)

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Karlsgems
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GamerGirlAlice
big thanks my friends ill have to get it for Yuki when she arrives. Yuki is going to bee my exs name
Wait, did you actually BUY your Excursion?? I thought you were waiting for your settlement? Maybe I'm out of it.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:47 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ccllud
I really like this but with a V-10 im trying to think of uses for 6 switches! What are some common switch uses? (driving lights, outdoor lights, ect)
Some of my switches won't apply to all, but some may transfer. I have the 2 gauge/9 switch variation:

Gauge 1: Oil Temp
Gauge 2: Trans Temp

Switch 1: Front Strobe (grille and bumper)

Switch 2: Rear Strobe (tail lights and lic plate bracket)

Switch 3: Left Alley (from the light bar)
Switch 4: Right Alley (from the light bar)
Switch 5: Takedown (steady work lights on)
Switch 6: Pursuit (flash pattern)

Switch 7: Front Driving Lights (mine didn't come with them standard)

Switch 8: Aux (currently powers the inverter)
Switch 9: Rear Tow Lights (under the bumper)

This setup was installed when I had an older style Whelen halogen light bar:

I've since upgraded to an LED with it's own controller:

I'll probably replace switches 3-6 with other duties:
Winch in/out
2nd battery isolate on/off
Rock lights
Fender LEDs

For an average rig, your imagination is the limit...maybe you want an inverter, maybe not...maybe some additional fogs on a custom bumper or push bar...maybe some lights to help hook up your trailer at night or you want manual power control over a rear camera or a separate power control over an aux fuse box...it's really whatever you can think up. As I'm typing this I just thought up to use one as a door light relay cutoff so I can leave the doors open without having the interior lights drain...

One suggestion for anyone buying one of these though...think big. If you have RiffRaff or whoever make you a setup with say 3 switches and you run out, you'll have hard time getting a 'factory' look when you have to go back in and cut more space...sometimes the switch mount plates aren't expandable, etc.

I took the thought that even if I don't use all 9 right now, over time I probably will, so why spend $ on a 6 switch mount plate and end up throwing that out to get a 9 switch plate later and have to sink the time into cutting, sanding, etc.

If you have the $ up front, I'd suggest you think big and get more than you think you'll need...what's the worst that will happen, you'll have some 'dead' switches on your dash.

A note on RiffRaff - they ROCK, but know that you'll have to send them the cover plate to your cup holder so they can color match your paint...so be prepared to have a hole in your dash for a couple of weeks while they match everything up. Well worth it to get your panel to match the dash spot-on!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Now I cant decide if I want to do this, or try to extend my center console all the way to the dash and build the screen in and have switches on that! ....decisions decisions....

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Now I cant decide if I want to do this, or try to extend my center console all the way to the dash and build the screen in and have switches on that! ....decisions decisions....
...sounds pricey!

Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
It takes a bit of thinking, but you can use them all and then some. For example on my Excursion:

Small ARB compressor
Large ARB compressor
Front bumper flood lights
Front bumper off road lights
Rear Bumper flood
Rock lights
Rear airbag control
Front ARB locker
Rear ARB locker

That is fairly extreme, though. If you make your own switch panel you can get 9 switches on there.

Two other switches are on the flat area on the left side of the F650 dash under a digital dual air guage. Those are for the Blue sea ACR battery switch, and a switch that operates a 500 amp cutoff solenoid for the winch.

All Lighted CarlingSwitches in different colors to delineate what type (lights, winch, lockers, Battery)

The wiring can get rather hectic with all that stuff, though.

Since I do not have power rear windows, I did procure, but not install a set of OEM DPST switches to fit the cutouts (plugged from factory) in the overhead console to be used in the future to operate roof lights if I ever decide to install some. Most of the ones you find are momentary to operate the windows, but I think these came from a 1990's Lincoln.

Gads, that would make a total of 13 switches!

Old 08-07-2013, 03:37 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by housedad
If you make your own switch panel you can get 9 switches on there.
RiffRaff offers a 9 switch option as well...they make a nice black powder coated mounting plate to go with it.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
RiffRaff offers a 9 switch option as well...they make a nice black powder coated mounting plate to go with it.

That, I did not know. I haven't look at them in quite a while. Now when people ask for a 9 switch pane, I can refer them to riffraff.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts

Stewart

Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 PM
ccllud
Senior User
Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
...sounds pricey!

Where did you get the lights in your pictures? They all look the same, the ones in the grill and on your bumpers

Old 08-07-2013, 06:33 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by housedad
That, I did not know. I haven't look at them in quite a while. Now when people ask for a 9 switch pane, I can refer them to riffraff.
Honestly if I could have come up with a cool logo to put in the middle other than the diesel logo from RiffRaff (see the post above this)...I might have gone with the 6 switch setup.

Kinda glad I did go with the nine, but I do think that engraving looks sweet...

Quick Reply: Lower Dash/Ash Tray Area Switch Panel