Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Car/truck Buying Advice
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2003, 12:39 PM
New User

2003Edge is starting off with a positive reputation.
Picking up my new truck tomorrow

I'm picking up my new 2003 Ranger Edge tomorrow. It's my first new vehicle. Anyone have any suggestions about what I should check on it before I drive it off the lot? Also, it has 50 miles on it from test drives and stuff. Is this acceptable for a new truck, or should I make them give me a really new one?
Old 06-13-2003, 02:15 PM
Post Fiend

1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.1956MarkII has a very good reputation on FTE.

Don't worry about the miles- I sell new trucks all the time with more miles on 'em than that. Check for evidence of re-paint: pieces of masking tape along the very bottom of the rocker panels, overspray edges on the weatherstripping around the windshield. Vehicles get damaged and repaired before they get to the dealerships, without it being disclosed to the buyer. If you're not sure what to look for, take someone with you that does. Check the tread in all the tires, and make sure the spare is there. Sometimes, the tread lug gets caught in the open ramps of the carriers, and a chunk of tread gets torn out. Check to make sure all the equipment that you paid for (floor mats, valve stem caps, jack, spare tire lock and key, caps to EVERYTHING under the hood) is there. Check for cracks/ chips in the glass, especially in the windshield. If you discover broken glass AFTER you leave the lot, you'll never get it replaced by the dealer; they'll claim it happened after you drove off.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:26 PM
Posting Guru

AlM is starting off with a positive reputation.

good advice!

Also, ck the fluids and other stuff under the hood. We drove our new 88 Aerostar off the lot and found the dipstick missing when we got home and I took a look under the hood.
Also, the tires were pumped up to 50psi..all this was done when they "prepped" it AFTER or test ride.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Elder User

retired2001 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Welcome to FTE, Edge2003! Be sure and get some pic's of the "1st New Truck"! You will always remeber the 1st one!
Texas Chapter
Old 06-16-2003, 04:46 PM
New User

2003Edge is starting off with a positive reputation.

Thanks guys! I picked it up on Saturday and it's been great so far. The only problem is that one of the wheel moldings seems to be a little loose on the front edge. It's held on by little plastic rivet things, and one doesn't seem to be in all the way. I guess I'll take it by the dealership and see if they can tighten it up somehow. Other than that, I love it!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM
New User

TheYoster is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad to hear it!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Car/truck Buying Advice