1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

A/C installation questions 1956 F100

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 12:10 PM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I searched the threads and only found one a/c topic that did not answer all my questions. Vintage Air was recommended in that thread. I want to install an A/C that does not wipe out the manual cowl vent, leaves at least half the glove box, and has hoses and tubes exit the old heater blower hole. Lastly, if I go with Vintage Air, can the plastic dash extender be painted to match the rest of the dash?
Any advice? Or just buy one and solve the problems as they arise?

Old 06-14-2003, 10:44 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two guys started Vintage Air years ago. One split off and created his own, calling it "Hot Rod Air". Same components, just a bit different dials and controls.

I have a '59 with a "Hot Rod Air A/C unit" in it. I did lose 1/2 the glove box, so I will have to have a custom glove box made that will be half as deep as the stock one. About half of the A/C unit itself hangs down from the passenger's side of the dashboard, so it is visible and it takes up a bit of legroom on that side, but not so much as to create a discomfort to the passenger. Still plenty of legroom.

My kick-panel vents were not affected by the A/C unit, and I still use them regularly.

The routing of the hoses and lines for the A/C unit itself is largely up to you. The A/C kit will come with pre-fabbed lines, but you can modify (shorten, lengthen, re-route) them to your liking. I had my A/C unit installed by an auto electrician, so I'm not sure if he used the existing holes in the firewall or drilled new ones. I would be happy to take some pix of my A/C unit and E-mail them to you if you provide me an E-mail address to send them to.

IMO, the Vintage Air kit is a notch better. I got the Hot Rod Air kit on sale for ~$800. I believe the Vintage Air goes for ~$1200. In hindsight, I'd pay the few hundred extra and get the Vintage Air. It has better controls and dials, it's better looking (the Hot Rod Air has very "plain-Jane" looking dials), and the Vintage Air unit's controls allow more functions than do the Hot Rod Air unit.

If I were you, I'd check them both out though. I purchased mine almost 2 years ago now, so they might compare more equally now. One thing I don't like about the Hot Rod Air unit is that you can't adjust the coldness of the A/C. You know how in newer cars they have a dial that you can rotate from hotest (red) to coldest (blue)? The Hot Rod Air only blows hottest or coldest, no in-between, so once you get to a comfortable temp inside the cab of the truck, you can't adjust the dial "less cold" or "less hot" to maintain that ideal temp you want. You have to turn the unit off, wait a bit, turn it back on, etc etc.

And yes, the plastic dash extender can be painted to match.

Let me know if some pix would help and to where I can send them.

Regards,
Daryl

Last edited by DS59F100; 06-14-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-14-2003, 09:14 PM
Aekisu
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems I just read the Vantage Air doesn't interfer with the glove box but don't take that as gospel.

I just installed a Vantage Air for a client in a 69 Chevelle. Overall, I was very happy with the unit and 1-800 phone support I received.

The unit was advertised as being specifically designed for the Chevelle. Although all the pieces were there, it still wasn't an afternoon bolt-in job. For example, the ducting was suppose to bolt to the underneath dashboard. Wellll, that was just fine and dandy but there was nothing to bolt it to. Also, when it came time to install the belts, it turned into a real can of worms. With all the different pulleys and assessories available, finding the correct combination was near impossible.

I found the installation instructions complete but unorganized. The customers lost their glovebox and ended up with a plastic box that screwed on to their glovebox door. When you open the door, you could see all the wiring and underdash area.

Would I personally buy a Vantage Air unit? You bet I would.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:37 AM
ranger pat
Cargo Master
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks guys. That's the kind of feed back I was looking for. I ordered a VINTAGE AIR inside kit yesterday. I was able to find a VINTAGE AIR installation at the Ford 100th Anniversary Classic Car Show last weekend. The owner showed me the glove box modification, slightly restricted travel in the manual cowl opening, the plastic dash extender, and a/c unit attachments. WE BE COOL THIS SUMMER.