S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Pick Your Part 50% off sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:26 PM
mnkeeking
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pick Your Part 50% off sale

It's that time again. Pick Your Part, and probably Ecology as well, is having another 50% off sale 02AUG-04AUG13. I'm heading down to Chula Vista this weekend and as usual welcome company. Last time I went I could only find two trucks in our range, but I scored two '67 dash bezels with instrument clusters that I didn't have to cut, just unplugged the pigtail. Hope to see you there. Drop me a PM if you want to link up and go together.
Take care,
Joe

Old 08-02-2013, 01:11 AM
djed
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Has anyone been to the location in Sun Valley? I need a plastic fastener (?screw?) for the fuse panel under the steering wheel.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:45 PM
mnkeeking
Freshman User
Pictures

Originally Posted by djed
Has anyone been to the location in Sun Valley? I need a plastic fastener (?screw?) for the fuse panel under the steering wheel.

Send me a picture of what you're looking for and I'll keep an eye out for it.
Take care,
Joe

Old 08-02-2013, 07:55 PM
djed
Laughing Gas
Joe,

Thank you. I'll forward pictures later.

As it turns out, I visited the Pick-a-Part in Sun Valley today (after wasting two hours at Industrial Metal Supply) and have a hard time seeing where it might be worth going to that kind of place.

First off, they charge you $2 to get in (without telling you if they have your type car in their inventory). Then, they charge you an additional $2 to access the "late model" (post 1997) lot - again without any guarantee about what they have.

The stuff in the lot seems primarily to be well picked over, with the majority of people there seemingly scavenging parts to resell. In one case, two guys had eight engines on their carts. Another guy was buying several (maybe 30) rims. Yet another had seats stacked about eight feet high. Perhaps my experience was a result of the 50% off sale - perhaps not.

In any case, there were two F150s on the lot that seemed like they had been there for quite a while. In any of the Fords I looked at, I could not find a cigarette lighter, a dimmer panel that matches my truck, or the fastener that would hold my fuse box panel in place.

To top the whole experience off, I get back to my truck after about 45 minutes and find the front lid on my truck had somehow been opened. Fortunately, nothing was taken from the engine compartment (I think), but I wonder what would have happened had I spent any more time inside.

Again - just my experience. But ...

I'd be interested in your (or anyone else's) feedback on my/their experience.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 AM
OldBlackCat
Fleet Mechanic
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts
Joe,

Thank you. I'll forward pictures later.

As it turns out, I visited the Pick-a-Part in Sun Valley today (after wasting two hours at Industrial Metal Supply) and have a hard time seeing where it might be worth going to that kind of place.

First off, they charge you $2 to get in (without telling you if they have your type car in their inventory). Then, they charge you an additional $2 to access the "late model" (post 1997) lot - again without any guarantee about what they have.

The stuff in the lot seems primarily to be well picked over, with the majority of people there seemingly scavenging parts to resell. In one case, two guys had eight engines on their carts. Another guy was buying several (maybe 30) rims. Yet another had seats stacked about eight feet high. Perhaps my experience was a result of the 50% off sale - perhaps not.

In any case, there were two F150s on the lot that seemed like they had been there for quite a while. In any of the Fords I looked at, I could not find a cigarette lighter, a dimmer panel that matches my truck, or the fastener that would hold my fuse box panel in place.

To top the whole experience off, I get back to my truck after about 45 minutes and find the front lid on my truck had somehow been opened. Fortunately, nothing was taken from the engine compartment (I think), but I wonder what would have happened had I spent any more time inside.

Again - just my experience. But ...

I'd be interested in your (or anyone else's) feedback on my/their experience.

wasted a many hrs at IMS for metals for my projects, love that place

the pick a part yards in sun valley are interesting to say the least. can't say much about other yards around socal or other states as i have not been, but the yards in sun valley to me personally attract some very questionable people.

i have had the same problem as you djed, no one seems to have any clue whats in there yard, strange people milling around the parking lot and the yard (lookouts maybe?) few run ins with the security guards wanting to spray bomb my toolbox contents as i enter with spray paint (almost got in a fist fight over that one) i don't buy nice tools for some jack wagon to spray paint them because there worried ill take some crummy a** bolts. i have also been searched with a handheld metal detector as im leaving empty handed, did not know i could pay 2 dollars to be treated as a crimnal in some cra*tastic junkyard.

i stopped going, 10 times out of 10 they don't have what i need, and if they do have the right vehicle its picked friggin clean, and i feel because i don't speak THEIR LANGUAGE i can be taken advantage of over pricing. perfect example! went looking, and found a pair of superduty tow hooks for a non truck project, found a pair pulled them both and the bolts, walk to the window and guy says 100 dollars!! i promptly tell the guy screw that! not worth it to me and walked away leaving them on the counter. some random guy comes up after i walked from the counter says something in Spanish and buys them.... for 10 dollars!!! LAST STRAW!!!

now i refuse to go to any of them, i wont even waste 2 bucks to go kill some time to wander there wasteland of cra*, as the "questionable's" drool over my truck in the parking lot.... now i use online resources and if i cant find it i keep trying elsewhere i refuse to waste anymore of my time and fuel on local junk yards.

sorry i got a little carried away Rant off....

Old 08-03-2013, 12:13 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
A very legitimate rant, however!

Nada mas!

Pop

Old 08-05-2013, 06:55 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Your experiences sound similar to the ones on Yelp reviews.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:41 PM
bigberthasdad
5th Wheeling
i may have what you need if the piece from an 88 will wrok

Old 09-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I go to Sun Valley, but yeah, its pretty picked over. Theres another yard that is close to there, that has about 4-5 1970-1975 trucks, im not too accurate on years yet. I will get the address when i go this Saturday. Also i cruise out to Winnetka, and hit Hillside. Sometimes go to Ecology in LaMirada, and then down to Beach Blvd in Westminster to hit both Pick your Parts then if i go that far, i finish the day at 3 yards in Wilmington. Its 2 bucks a yard and a lot of gas, but meh, if you find one cool thing, its a good day.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:03 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Is it something like this? Based on your description

I have yet to find a plastic fastener like these (or screws, or christmas trees) that AutoZone doesnt have.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Djed, i havent seen a fuse cover yet, not even in mine, lol. I will keep an eye out if i know what you need. Anything that fits in my cargo shorts is discounted 100%

Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Is it something like this? Based on your description
No, they are not like either of those. I suspect they are really going to be dealer-only items.

Pop

Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 PM
djed
Laughing Gas
Sorry guys - haven't been online in a while.

This is the panel directly under my steering wheel/column.

Pictures attached.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Year? I will keep an eye out, but tbh, I would definitely have to be right there when the truck is dropped, assuming that this was still on it...but, i like a treasure hunt!😜

Old 09-23-2013, 10:34 PM
djed
Laughing Gas

I'll call the dealer and see if they sell the screw as a standalone item. My guess is that you have to purchase the entire panel to get the screw. (literally and figuratively).

Quick Reply: Pick Your Part 50% off sale