1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How to Best Do Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 08:11 PM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Best Do Interior Lights

I am planning the interior/dome/map lights for my '48 Ford F-1. The exterior will be classic '48 Ford F-1 pickup but it's not a stock truck. We are using a 60/40 leather split bench power seat, Dakota Digital instrument panel and an Ididit column and a Raptor wooden steering wheel. IFS and power train are '75 Camaro with a 350 engine, transmission and rear axle.
I'd appreciate input from others on what have you may have used and done with your interior cab lighting.
Here are my ideas and questions:
1. I am planning on buying the standard push button door jamb switches. Is that the best alternative to supply power to the interior lights when the door opens or are there other solutions that are better?
2. I'd like a delay when the door is closed that allows a little time before the interior lights fade out but I don't know how to do that. Is that function controlled by something in the headlight switch? Or is there an electronic "timer" that you would connect in the line between the door switch and the interior lights? Or do most interior/dome light assemblies have that functionality built into a newer dome/map light assembly that a person could buy?
3. What are newer model interior/map light assemblies that might be a good choice for the interior of a 48 Ford pickup?
4. What role does the headlight/parking light on-off switch play in controlling the interior lights. In a newer vehicle they typically dim the instrument panel lights and turn the interior lights on and off in addition to controlling the headlight/parking lights. I would imagine that functionality wouldn't be present in a replacement 48 Ford headlight switch, right? If not, what have others used for a headlight switch that has interior light control as part of it's functionality?
5. Is it best to incorporate control of the interior lights into a non-stock headlight switch or should a person use a standard 48 Ford replacement headlight switch and control the interior lights via another control of some kind located in the cab? I've thought about possibly using the original hole in the dashboard where the choke cable went to mount a control/on-off/timer/dimming device of some kind but I don't know what to use or where to get it.
Those are the things that I can think of regarding the interior lighting. I would really appreciate other's perspective on my conclusions and your advise as to what I should use.
Thanks very much.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:24 PM
brain75
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) I used the door jamb switches and they work fine
2) that feature is called courtesy lighting - requires a module (like $100) - google around, I think jegs, summit, etc all sell the controllers. does stuff like leave the headlights on till you make it to the front of the garage, etc too
3) I have a 48 and the (round) 48 style are more rare than dodoo birds... so I bought a repop '53 style from mac's antique
4) original style the gauge lights are separate and controlled by an on/off (no brightness adjustment)
I took the switch and tied that into the dome light so either door or switch turn the dome.
I used a semi modern generic "help" switch from parts store - now my gauge cluster comes on with headlights. (yanked the **** off the old stem, and cheapo **** off the new switch - hot glued **** on the new switch)
5) "best" - best is subjective... I'll leave it up to you to decide what is best.

I am 12v btw.
I had to completely rewire from scratch also so no love lost on any work.

better question: "what would I do differently?".... I wouldn't pay the $$$ for a courtesy controller, but I would use one model nicer of switch so my dash cluster was dimmer-able... though I think you will find that there doesn't really need to be brightness control these vehicles aren't full of so many other creature comforts that you really notice that lack.