Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2013 Shudder issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 157 Likes on 93 Posts
Well I just received a FINAL call from the customer service rep who was assisting me with my "expedited" case. The word from Ford is they KNOW it is a design flaw! It will not effect the driveability of the truck.

I have to live with it no matter what I paid for the truck. They are not willing to pay for the dealer to investigate a fix because it is a known condition WITHOUT A FIX.

Cavet Emptor!

Last edited by glruff; 08-08-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:08 PM
traviswatson2008
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to look for a new f150 tonight. can't decide 5.0 or eco.. would you guys stay away from the 3.73's

Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by traviswatson2008
I'm going to look for a new f150 tonight. can't decide 5.0 or eco.. would you guys stay away from the 3.73's
my wife's 2013 has 3.73's and there is no vibration issues empty, we haven't ever hooked a trailer up to it though since we do all the towing with my SD. She has a Screw with the 5.5ft box and I think most of the problems are with the Screws with the 6.5ft box.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:02 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
my wife's 2013 has 3.73's and there is no vibration issues empty, we haven't ever hooked a trailer up to it though since we do all the towing with my SD. She has a Screw with the 5.5ft box and I think most of the problems are with the Screws with the 6.5ft box.
No...mine is is a 5.5' bed and I have it.

I got my truck back yesterday and had them check the driveshaft angle. They said it is within spec. They have a tolerance of 3 degrees and mine was right at 1.56 degrees. The dealer is convinced it is the 3.73 gearing and I am not a believer of that. I am not ruling out a possible issue with the clutch packs in the rear end however. I guess I need to get a go pro and take a look at what is going on underneath. At least I can try and locate where it is happening and if it really is axle wrap or not.

I have however contemplated talking to a suspension shop as well. I don't know just a bit frustrated at this point. I absolutely LOVE my truck and think it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It just has a small issue I will do my best to resolve one way or the other.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:48 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by PrinceValium
No...mine is is a 5.5' bed and I have it.

I got my truck back yesterday and had them check the driveshaft angle. They said it is within spec. They have a tolerance of 3 degrees and mine was right at 1.56 degrees. The dealer is convinced it is the 3.73 gearing and I am not a believer of that. I am not ruling out a possible issue with the clutch packs in the rear end however. I guess I need to get a go pro and take a look at what is going on underneath. At least I can try and locate where it is happening and if it really is axle wrap or not.

I have however contemplated talking to a suspension shop as well. I don't know just a bit frustrated at this point. I absolutely LOVE my truck and think it is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It just has a small issue I will do my best to resolve one way or the other.
unless you have the max payload, you do not have clutch packs in the rear diff. I would empirically eliminate that as a possibility.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:51 AM
anotherone
New User
Hi all, new here and guess why I am specifically looking at this thread. I have a 2013 screw 5.0 355 4x4 tow package with what feels like a slight out of round tire empty and gets worse with horse trailer connected. I looked to see if was hitting the bumpers but was nowhere near them. Also no issue with the titan I traded in as far as trailer bounce. The trailer weighs 3200. Not looking forward to the dealer because I dont want to hear normal or unable to duplicate. I was hoping to see a remedy here but sigh not. I might try the dealer mon.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Been following this thread awhile. Got 2800 miles on my truck, Eco, MaxTow, 157",3.73 etc...was driving my kids around the neighborhood last night looking at Christmas lights.

Probably drove around for 1/2 hour at 20-30 mph tops truck hovering around 3 & 4 gears. Seeing that I'm never focusing on my truck at those speeds on a regular basis, I did not notice the shudder I have until yesterday. Incidentally while my 2011, 145" Scab, 5.0, 3.55 had its share of thunks, shakes and shimmies during my ownership, this decel shudder I'm feeling with my '13 was not one of them.

I also failed to mention, I normally have 300-400 lbs in the bed at all times, and have since new. But removed them earlier that day, so I was 95% empty.

What I noticed repeatedly is a "rumble-strip" like shudder or vibe when decelerating from say 40 to a dead stop. It happens as soon as truck shifts from 4th gear to 3rd and so on until completely stopped.

Seemed to be most apparent rolling downhill to a stop, smoother surfaces, or flat surfaces reduce the feeling by 50% or more. There is no shudder on acceleration with my truck, just seems to be deceleration. Anyone else have the same or a cure?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by traviswatson2008
Only if mpg's are a bigger concern .vs towing requirements.
3.55's seem to be the best combo for a 5.0 & 3.31's for the EcoBoost.

Personally, I love my 3.73's and wouldn't want anything else for gearing on my truck. But I don't care about mpg 's either.

Also as someone that has owned both a 5.0 & 3.5, I like them both, but for different reasons. I have come to prefer the quietness and refinement of the EcoBoost though now.
I especially like being able to chug a long at 1500 RPM all day long without breaking a sweat.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:45 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Pool...my unloaded shudder was resolved for the most part by the dealer installing a 2" shim kit and taking the driveline angle close to 0 degrees. Although it did not resolve my towing vibration at 65, when not towing it is MUCH better and closer to the way it SHOULD drive without vibration or shudder. I do notice the slightest of shudder when coming to a stop it is pretty much gone now.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Pool...my unloaded shudder was resolved for the most part by the dealer installing a 2" shim kit and taking the driveline angle close to 0 degrees. Although it did not resolve my towing vibration at 65, when not towing it is MUCH better and closer to the way it SHOULD drive without vibration or shudder. I do notice the slightest of shudder when coming to a stop it is pretty much gone now.
Glad to hear your issue has been mostly resolved. Rob if you ever get a spare 5 min, and could shoot a pic of the shim kit, I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Yeah no shudder accelerating, I just can't for the life of me figure out what is causing the deceleration shudder. Did a few different tests. Deceled from 45 mph, then coasted in neutral to a dead stop to see if it's drivetrain or chassis. As expected smooth as glass, when coasting in neutral.

Next I tried using the select shift feature, then manually shifted from 4th gear to 3rd and guess what, smooth again. Only shudders when letting the truck downshift on its own from 45 mph or so to a stop.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:53 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Weren't you supposed to be getting airbags at one point?

Old 12-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tom
I was curious too, as to what the outcome of that was? I thought Ford was letting him pick out an AirBag kit, and they would foot the bill for the parts and labor?

Rob- Fill us in?

Old 12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
g0rilla
New User
Pool Runner, I experienced the same 4th-3rd downshift shudder/bump you described. I contacted my buddy who is a ford technican. He said a couple things could be responsible:
1 The adaptive transmission can do this is you don't drive this way normally. I called bs because who doesn't slow down for stop lights? Anyhow he said there is a tsb regarding this and a pcm/tranny reflash could helppositive
2 The slip yoke needs to be lubed with marine grade lube. There is no tsb on this, but it is a problem ford knows about and has a fix that the dealships can perform. Lubing the slip yoke
3 carrier bearing can be out of alignment, like the op stated they tried this on his truck with no
positive outcome. However my bud did do this fix to acouplle of 157" truck and it helped the vibes, shudder/bump.

hope this helps, I am lubing my slip yoke tomorrow and will let u know if it helps my truck.

2013 5.0 157" screw 2400km and has the 4th-3rd downshift shudder/bump.

g0rilla

Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tom
Originally Posted by Pool Runner
I was curious too, as to what the outcome of that was? I thought Ford was letting him pick out an AirBag kit, and they would foot the bill for the parts and labor?

Rob- Fill us in?
Yes they are and I have called the service manager a few times and was unable to get hold of him. I left him a few messages as well. I will call him today and see if I can get an answer as to when it will happen and what kit they will be installing.(or whomever does the install)

Old 12-16-2013, 04:39 AM
Lucky Enough
New User
Shudder resolved

I tow a 7,800 lb travel trailer. My drive train vibrations totally went away after I installed helpers from Roadmaster Active Suspension. They added stability as well as I no longer get any porpoising. Totally pleased with the results.
2014 F150
Eco & 3:55's

Quick Reply: 2013 Shudder issue?