1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

stock vs rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 08:06 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
stock vs rod

Dick

Your impression of those terms is very different from the ones I have. Here's how it really is:

Hot Rod- Old. Generally Pre-60 and usually with fatfenders (or deleted fenders). It isn't necessarily all that fast or high dollar. But an attempt was made to hop it up and it definitely has non-stock wheels. It's probably in black primer and maybe always will be.

Streetrod- can be a modern car (newer than 60), but not a Honda Accord or SUV in any form. It does include the Musclecar era stuff if modified. It can also be one of the more traditional NSRA definition cars but is not limited to a specified year range. A trailer queen is only a street rod if it can be driven occasionally with out ruining the chrome brake rotors.

Trailer Queen- Makes for a great Super National CD PICs. Has no other value despite it's outrageous cost. Can't be copied to any degree by the rest of us, because few of the mods were made with any regard to actually driving it. It would break when you hauled the first load firewood.

48-60 FTE Rodder- Free spirited, colors outside the lines. Sometimes not on the same page as Carl. No wait, that's me, Sorry Defined as one who can not leave things be. A rodder will always look for ways to improve things on his truck. He will often succeed be he unfortunately doesn't know when to quit. Hence, he will also find ways to make things worse on occasion.
No two FTE rodders are in complete agreement on the ultimate 48-60 rod. To the contrary, if you find an identical truck, you must go home and immediately modify your truck to correct the problem.

48-60 FTE Stocker- One who is incapable of independent thought. He must have a manual, a set of written instructions which guide his every decision. He is probably highly intelligent, but insists on handcuffing himself, suppressing his creative talents for fear of offending Henry. His truck does not have air conditioning, no matter where he lives. No two FTE stockers have ever actually agreed on what a correct 48-60 looks like. The book has errors and they don't know what to do about that.

48-60 FTE Modernizer Guy- He used to be a stocker. But then he drove his truck for a week and realized it sucked. He wants his truck to look stock, but he wants to drive it even more. He is trapped somewhere between rodder and stocker. He gets along pretty well with others because he has no idea if he is a rodder or stocker. If he keeps his truck long enough, he will someday be a rodder. It's a dangerous path to tread, he could revert back to stocker, but it isn't likely once he gets a taste of radial tires and power steering.

There, it's all settled now, I trust there will be no further discussion on this thread. Gotta go modify my brand new repro tailgate now, Henry screwed it all up with those tailgate hinges and 130 spot welds.

Old 06-14-2003, 08:58 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stock vs rod

Done

Old 06-15-2003, 05:32 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock vs rod

Gentlemen,
I only responded with knowledge acquired from sources along the way. If I was mislead or mistaken, I apologize for passing on inaccurate information. That was certainly NOT my intention.

I did not mean to fuel a fire here, and I hope we can "all just get along". Whatever the categories are, whomever delineated them, so be it. Meantime, what say we all just go about our business of making our rides how we want them and not worry/stress/argue over what % makes a rod or a stocker?

Geez Louise... throw some water on it; chill-out !!! I really enjoy the FTE forums and would feel terrible if I was the cause of a firestorm. "Can't we all just get along?" !!!!

Again, my apologies if the info I submitted was inaccurate. In the future, I will think twice before submitting a reply based on hearsay knowledge that I have not confirmed as factual.

Daryl

Old 06-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
stock vs rod

Hey Daryl,

I know it's hard, but try to work yourself around to understanding this - the only thing you did was make an observation, period. The rest of the folks ran with it and expressed their opinions. That's what FTE is all about. I didn't see anybody say "I'm taking my marbles and going home 'cuz I don't like what you said." True, some people have a hard time expressing themselves without antagonizing others. That doesn't make them evil, or even *********s. Guys and gals will disagree with other's opinions - we all do at times. I think you'd agree that the folks participating on FTE do an excellent job of trying not to be too ... what's the word ... abrasive? Don't let other people's problems become yours.

Your observation was neither good nor bad. It probably has some truth to it, but also some room for discussion. You have no responsibility for how other folks choose to react to it unless you manipulated the situation to set them at each other. Let's face it, we be not smart enough to figure out how to do that.

Look at it like this - we get to sit back and watch folks express their opinions and it helps us understand 'em a little better. There are some you probably want to chat with and hang around with if you get to meet them. There are others that you might like to get info from, but would rather not hang around with. Then there's me.

Old 06-15-2003, 09:59 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
stock vs rod

Daryl

Relax there buddy. You didn't do anything. Carl and I exchange words sometimes. It's not as bad as it sounds. He often sees black when I see white. I am not even mad at him. Wasn't when I posted that a few days ago either. I have an opinion, it's different than his. He posts abrasively sometimes, I often do the same. He's a smart man, I value most of his posts. I'll continue debating him now and then on the other ones.

Can we all just get along you ask? Probably not 24-7 but normally things are pretty calm around here.

Regards

Old 06-16-2003, 09:52 PM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stock vs rod

Remember what they say about opinions.

I enjoy yakking with Dewayne, I suspect we are a lot alike, military backrounds and a no bull s..t approach to life. Throw in that New Englanders arent known for *****footing around an issue either.

Then there is George. A self confessed engineer, good at words and can be calling you an ***.... and still be smiling while the knife goes in.

Some are too sensitive or high and mighty for their own good and seemingly enjoy belittling others as abrasive, antagonizing, not worth hanging with, etc. Those are the types I wouldnt be caught dead hanging with anyway.

Old 06-17-2003, 06:02 AM
Earl
Postmaster
stock vs rod

Oh Carl, I love you too. Just because John and I have reconciled over on the "Super Nationals CD Picures" thread doesn't mean you're not one of my favorite people!

As far as my posts go, here's how I look at it. I'm not gonna say I'm sorry for the way I post - cuz I'm not. I am going to say that most of the time I try not to intentionally pi$$ people off. I do understand that some of my posts irritate you and other folks. Sarcasm and a lot of other subtleties don't come across well in posts, even with a lot of effort and smileys. Learn to live with it - I'm sure you have issues with other people here, just as I have. And by the way, I'm not foreign to the military. The Air Force tends to take a no bull***** attitude toward getting the job done as well. The pilots get especially pissed off when they can't pull over for repairs at 50,000 feet and 1100 knots.

I get a lot of good technical stuff from your posts, Carl, and sure as he!! don't want you to pick up your marbles and go home. So I'll try to limit my sarcasm and you do your thing and we'll both have a great time here.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:04 AM
ddurant
Senior User
stock vs rod

Originally posted by ddurant
how much can you do to a "stock" truck to improve the drivabilty before it starts to become a rod. i have already added carpet to cut down on the noise, and power front disk brakes and seat belts. other things i am thanking about are.

1. ac
2. good sound system (witout cutting dash)
3. 12 volt system
4. power steering
5. radial tires (wide white walls from corker)
how did this simple guestion start such a firestrom. i was not asking in stricely show rule terms, but what were your opinions.
sorry if i started a war.
[B]

Old 06-17-2003, 07:20 AM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
stock vs rod

Nah, I really dont sense any REAL tension in this thread at all, just some standard 4860 asylum chitchat on a fun topic to debate, 'cause there is no right answer. (THis drives engineers nuts- there are no shades of grey in their worlds- I work mit a bunch of them)

Zo, unless you're heading for the show circuit ---Do whacha want!

Old 06-17-2003, 07:36 AM
ddurant
Senior User
stock vs rod

Midnite Cruiser

you mast be the enginer sance you can't speel. i is a strutual enginer, but my speeling is much gooder.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
stock vs rod

Nah, I chust haf too many German types around here und zey cannot schpell eezer?

" I know nuzing!, nuzing!" Sgt Schultz- any episode

Old 06-17-2003, 09:07 AM
286merc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stock vs rod

I dont have enough marbles left to take home. Being married to the same woman over 36 years has taken care of that.

Yeah, we can all be a bit sarcastic at times, it comes with the hobby and no different than a BS session in a garage over a few beers.

I try and not admit it at times but Im an EE by trade and cars/trucks by choice. Now that Im semi retired my choice is obvious; Ive had it with the High Tech world and corporate BS. For the past year Ive been enjoying myself 24/7 and had been working my way to that point for the prior 5 years by starting the rod shop and tool business part time.

Sometimes I think I made the wrong choice by switching from diesel mechanic to electronics in the Navy and getting edumecated.

Skirmishes are over I hope.
BUT I cant completely stop with Dewayne, those are too much fun!

Old 06-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Earl
Postmaster
stock vs rod

Jay has it right. A couple of us inmates get loose once in a while and add some off-the-subject family discussion to the threads. Very harmless unless you make the mistake of taking it seriously.

Now, back to our previously scheduled miniseries - "When good trucks turn into bad rods" ... or something like that.